2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
Yeah, I don't think he'll actually win it. Even if he were to maintain this pace. But he's having a hell of a season. He's always been one of my favorite players to watch.

I wonder why we never went after him.

At $6 million, he was very affordable. That's we offered Damon...

I swear, this whole rotating DH idea has been a huge disaster. And any supporters of it have to realize that we've been screwed out of Thome, Vlad, and whoever can't play the field because of it.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
I wonder why we never went after him.

At $6 million, he was very affordable. That's we offered Damon...

I swear, this whole rotating DH idea has been a huge disaster. And any supporters of it have to realize that we've been screwed out of Thome, Vlad, and whoever can't play the field because of it.

Not that my opinion means a thing, but if we don't win the central, I want Ozzie's ass gone.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
Not that my opinion means a thing, but if we don't win the central, I want Ozzie's ass gone.

As long as we get a replacement who can make a lineup and manage a bullpen, I'm for it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)

He's just not a very good manager, and he still has an impossibly large ego. I don't see how he'll get fired though since he apparently has even more power than KW does, which is unfortunate. If we miss the playoffs this year, I really can't think of a reason to keep him around though. You have the 2005 pointers who think he should stay as long as he wants, but other than that, good luck defending him.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
He's just not a very good manager, and he still has an impossibly large ego. I don't see how he'll get fired though since he apparently has even more power than KW does, which is unfortunate. If we miss the playoffs this year, I really can't think of a reason to keep him around though. You have the 2005 pointers who think he should stay as long as he wants, but other than that, good luck defending him.

I actually think 2008 is Ozzie's and Kenny's saving grace as much as 2005. Because that showed they could build a winner a year after disaster. Still, the game is evolving. I'm still satisfied with KW as our GM. But I'm not certain this franchise can fully take off with Ozzie as manager.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
I actually think 2008 is Ozzie's and Kenny's saving grace as much as 2005. Because that showed they could build a winner a year after disaster. Still, the game is evolving. I'm still satisfied with KW as our GM. But I'm not certain this franchise can fully take off with Ozzie as manager.

Even though Kenny isn't a saber guy, most of the guys he acquires are good players. It's not like he's pulling off terrible deals like Dayton Moore or Ed Wade.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)

I just find the lack of accountabliity in our organzation very disturbing. Nobody is held responsible when things go wrong.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
Am I crazy when I say Mr. Vladimir Guerrero is a legitimate MVP candidate? The numbers are eye-popping: .339/18/68/.383/.580/.962. Not bad for 5.5 million. And has the Ranger front office done a hell of a job putting together that team or what? A combination of excellent scouting/drafting and two amazingly awesome trades (Hamilton for Volquez/Andrus, Feliz for Tex). You look at their roster and other than Michael Young, who's having a great year, there isn't one bad contract on that team. Texas is set up to own that division for a while.

Now stop for a moment and imagine D1 in their rotation and Masset in their bullpen.

Anyway...yes, Guerrero is an MVP candidate, in the sense that he should finish in the top 10 if he continues at this pace. But there are 5 guys ahead of him in OPS. Morneau is nearly 100 points higher. He's not even leading his own team right now; Hamilton is. And some of the guys ahead of him, like Hamilton and Cano, play important defensive positions as well. The guys behind him haven't been too shabby with the glove either (Konerko and Beltre).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
Now stop for a moment and imagine D1 in their rotation and Masset in their bullpen.

Anyway...yes, Guerrero is an MVP candidate, in the sense that he should finish in the top 10 if he continues at this pace. But there are 5 guys ahead of him in OPS. Morneau is nearly 100 points higher. He's not even leading his own team right now; Hamilton is. And some of the guys ahead of him, like Hamilton and Cano, play important defensive positions as well. The guys behind him haven't been too shabby with the glove either (Konerko and Beltre).

Masset has been terrible again this year.

Masset shouldn't be THAT much worse.

His K rate has actually gone up, but his BB rate has gone up as well.

He's allowing a s*** load of line drives (10% more than last year) and has BABIP near .400.

So that's probably why. His xFIP is in the low 3s.

Masset got lucky last year too. His .250 BABIP was because of a 13% LD%. It's like he pitched to Jayson Nix all year or something.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:04 AM)
Am I crazy when I say Mr. Vladimir Guerrero is a legitimate MVP candidate? The numbers are eye-popping: .339/18/68/.383/.580/.962. Not bad for 5.5 million. And has the Ranger front office done a hell of a job putting together that team or what? A combination of excellent scouting/drafting and two amazingly awesome trades (Hamilton for Volquez/Andrus, Feliz for Tex). You look at their roster and other than Michael Young, who's having a great year, there isn't one bad contract on that team. Texas is set up to own that division for a while.

They still can't put together a pitching staff. I know Colby Lewis is over achieving but Feldman isn't going to repeat, or come close to what he did last year. Who the hell else is starting for them?

I understand it is difficult to recruit pitcher to pitch in Arlington for half the season though.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
They still can't put together a pitching staff. I know Colby Lewis is over achieving but Feldman isn't going to repeat, or come close to what he did last year. Who the hell else is starting for them?

I understand it is difficult to recruit pitcher to pitch in Arlington for half the season though.

You're right. Lewis/Wilson/Harden is certainly not going to get it done come October. Oswalt or Lee would be a perfect fit. Their farm is as loaded as any in baseball. So they've got plenty of assets. Not sure they can take on the payroll.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 07:10 PM)
Over Wright, Votto & Pujols?

Albert has gone through some tough stretches this year. Rolen has been awesome and clutch. How often are the Reds in this position in July? They would be nowhere without him. He's finally healthy.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 07:14 PM)
Albert has gone through some tough stretches this year. Rolen has been awesome and clutch. How often are the Reds in this position in July? They would be nowhere without him. He's finally healthy.

Votto has more runs, hits, HRs, RBIs, SBs, higher BA, OBP, OPS. Rolen has more doubles & his slugging % is about six points higher. Votto's WAR is 2.9, Rolen's is 2.2. I don't doubt Rolen has been a huge key to their success and he's great story, but where the f*** would they be without Votto?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 07:54 PM)
Votto has more runs, hits, HRs, RBIs, SBs, higher BA, OBP, OPS. Rolen has more doubles & his slugging % is about six points higher. Votto's WAR is 2.9, Rolen's is 2.2. I don't doubt Rolen has been a huge key to their success and he's great story, but where the f*** would they be without Votto?

Where have they been the last few years with him?

Votto needed a season like this for Cincy to finally get national recognition. Well deserved.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 07:33 PM)
Hehe, clutch. That's funny. Scott Rolen gets an edge because he's more "clutch" than Votto and Pujols. A "down" month for Albert Pujols is a .300 AVG, .940 OPS and .390 wOBA.

Yeah, cuz I was disputing Albert's greatness. Right.

There has been times where Albert hasn't homered in 20 days or so and HRs are obviously what makes him special. Some of it is probably credited to the inconsistent Holliday behind him.

I would go with Rolen or Votto over him now, because the Reds are in first. That may not last, but I don't think a guy can be an MVP unless his team wins the division or at least makes the playoffs.