2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)
If anything, Konerko is in more jeopardy than Rios is. That's unless Rios really tanks in the next few weeks.

I'm starting to think it's the other way around with Konerko's recent power surge.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 07:08 AM)
I'm starting to think it's the other way around with Konerko's recent power surge.

If somebody like Torii Hunter or Brett Gardner gets on the team and Alex Rios doesn't, that's just sad.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
If somebody like Torii Hunter or Brett Gardner gets on the team and Alex Rios doesn't, that's just sad.

Yet entirely possible, Konerko's just getting a ton of buzz right now, not so much for Rios. It's a lot harder to snub a guy who's leading the league in home runs than one that just does everything incredibly well but no one quantifiable thing better than everyone else.

It looks as if Rios is slowing down a bit. I think this was expected since he's not a .320 hitter. .300 is a lot more realistic.

That said, he looks to be hitting better after days off. Maybe 3 days off instead of being at the ASG will be a really good thing.

We really need fresh legs after the break since we're going to Minnesota for 4. This almost reminds me of 2005, where we went to Cleveland for 4 right after the break.

Edited by chw42

I love this!

Yankee Fan On Cellphone Catches Ground Rule Double With His Face

Ever get stuck next to the guy in your section who won't get off his cellphone? Well, this video is for you. If you're the one calling, hang up and pay attention....unless you want a Rawlings to the face.

Sweet justice courtesy of the bat of Rob Johnson during last night's Yankee-Mariners game. Watch it a couple more times to just to get the full "ooof" effect

It's scary how bad the Astros are. 3rd oldest team in the league, the worst OPS in the league (.636...next closest is Seattle at .656), and, due to playing in a ballpark that is actually league average offensively, the worst OPS+ by far at 72.

In 2007, we all foresaw both the White Sox and Astros falling off simply because they had older rosters, relatively immovable contracts, and no minor league depth with what to speak, and it was sad because both franchises had just been to the World Series 2 years before that. Since then, the Sox have atleast added a bit of youth and talent to the team...the Astros tried to patch holes by bringing in guys like Kaz Matsui and Pedro Feliz. That is an absolutely dreadful team, and somehow, Ed Wade managed to wriggle a contract extension out of the whole deal.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)
Everytime I think Miguel Olivo is coming down to earth, he comes up with a game like tonight.

I'm happy for him.

When you factor in defense (he's throw out 52% of attempted base stealers this year), there hasn't been a better all-around catcher in baseball.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
When you factor in defense (he's throw out 52% of attempted base stealers this year), there hasn't been a better all-around catcher in baseball.

His catcher plus/minus is a +9. Insane.

I must now find my Miguel Olivo signed hat.

Good for him, I always liked him. Makes you wonder why this is his 5th team in 6 years since we traded him to Seattle though.

Got this from Jason Bartlett's Yahoo Fantasy baseball player news:

"SS Jason Bartlett's three-run homer ended a streak of 21 consecutive solo home runs that dated back to 2006 when he was with the Twins. Bartlett's streak was the second longest in MLB history behind current Yankee Curtis Granderson, who hit 23 straight solo homers."

Am I crazy when I say Mr. Vladimir Guerrero is a legitimate MVP candidate? The numbers are eye-popping: .339/18/68/.383/.580/.962. Not bad for 5.5 million. And has the Ranger front office done a hell of a job putting together that team or what? A combination of excellent scouting/drafting and two amazingly awesome trades (Hamilton for Volquez/Andrus, Feliz for Tex). You look at their roster and other than Michael Young, who's having a great year, there isn't one bad contract on that team. Texas is set up to own that division for a while.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
Vlad is a DH, so no...

You almost need Barry Bonds numbers if you want to win the MVP as a DH.

Look what happened to Ortiz in 2006.

Yeah, I don't think he'll actually win it. Even if he were to maintain this pace. But he's having a hell of a season. He's always been one of my favorite players to watch.