2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the Marlins organization gave out Vuvuzuelas to their fans prior to last nights game against the Rays. Needless, to say it did not sit well with the players: “That was the worst handout or giveaway I’ve ever been a part of in baseball,” said Dan Uggla, who wore earplugs. “This isn’t soccer. I know the World Cup is going on but this is baseball.”

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/...lins_vuvuzelas/

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 09:49 AM)
So, the Marlins organization gave out Vuvuzuelas to their fans prior to last nights game against the Rays. Needless, to say it did not sit well with the players: “That was the worst handout or giveaway I’ve ever been a part of in baseball,” said Dan Uggla, who wore earplugs. “This isn’t soccer. I know the World Cup is going on but this is baseball.”

It was only a matter of time before a pro team did this stunt. On ESPN it showed a few players and umpires using ear plugs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
Other than Lincecum and Halladay, has there been a better pitcher in baseball since July of 2008 than Josh Johnson? This guy is absolutely amazing. I can't think of a more underrated pitcher in baseball.

In each of his last 8 starts, he has given up one ER or less, a total of 4 ERs. With Johnson, Carpenter, & Marcum, just to name a few, I'd say the doctors have this whole Tommy John surgery thing figured out.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)

The Marlins are basically a minor league franchise when it comes to marketing. They are perpetually at or near the bottom of baseball in attendance, sometimes thousands below any other team per game. They have games where like 500 people show up. They have to try to pull s*** out of their rears to get people to come out to a game.

Which is why it still amazes me that they managed to get a new, publically funded stadium approved.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
Other than Lincecum and Halladay, has there been a better pitcher in baseball since July of 2008 than Josh Johnson? This guy is absolutely amazing. I can't think of a more underrated pitcher in baseball.

Josh Johnson's line since July, 2008: 30-8, 2.95 ERA, .237 BAA, 1.15 WHIP, 8.3 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 3.30 K/BB.

This is over almost 400 innings pitched. Outstanding talent.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
Josh Johnson's line since July, 2008: 30-8, 2.95 ERA, .237 BAA, 1.15 WHIP, 8.3 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 3.30 K/BB.

This is over almost 400 innings pitched. Outstanding talent.

One of my buddies asked me a few years ago (2007) whose cards he could buy low on and have the player end up being good. Johnson was my choice.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 08:18 PM)
Jose Bautista is the first to 20 homers, and is back in the MLB lead. He has 2 tonight.

He had been in a pretty nasty funk (3/36) or something like that up until the last couple games. Looks like he's getting hot again.

And another of the seemingly endless young premier pitching talents in the NL, Mat Latos, completely dominates Tampa Bay: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K.

Anybody catch John Jaso leading off for Tampa tonight? Joe Maddon has been receiving quite a bit of criticism for some of his lineups of late. Soxtalk would be ready to decapitate Ozzie were he ever to bat a no-name catcher leadoff.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
He had been in a pretty nasty funk (3/36) or something like that up until the last couple games. Looks like he's getting hot again.

And another of the seemingly endless young premier pitching talents in the NL, Mat Latos, completely dominates Tampa Bay: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K.

Anybody catch John Jaso leading off for Tampa tonight? Joe Maddon has been receiving quite a bit of criticism for some of his lineups of late. Soxtalk would be ready to decapitate Ozzie were he ever to bat a no-name catcher leadoff.

More alarming is the fact Laird hit 2nd today for Detroit... the guy has been worse than Beckham.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)

I'd applaud Ozzie. Jaso's 25:15 BB:K (.409 OBP) is pretty impressive. Considering Upton and Bartlett are giving the team nothing, this is a pretty logical move, imo. It's not like this is Corky Miller. Jaso is just 26 years old, a rookie, and has some pretty good minor league numbers.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:27 PM)
I'd applaud Ozzie. Jaso's 25:15 BB:K (.409 OBP) is pretty impressive. Considering Upton and Bartlett are giving the team nothing, this is a pretty logical move, imo. It's not like this is Corky Miller. Jaso is just 26 years old, a rookie, and has some pretty good minor league numbers.

Didn't realize the BB/K ratio was that good. And you're definitely one of the few. But like I said, Maddon has been getting criticized for a while now. I guess my point is that if you never left Soxtalk, you would think we were the only team out of 30 that had a manager that made "questionable" moves/decisions.