Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe KW can get that Olney rumor in effect, roll up his sleeves and also net Ellsbury and the bullpen shore up with Bard and Okajima. I won't doubt KW at all and only have once before really (the B.Allen trade) so that won't change.

Edited by SoxAce

Is it true that the Mark Gonzalez interview had something about the vets being pissed at Getz for talking about the energy of the younger guys? I don't see that as a problematic statement, but... given that we heard that Dye and Konerko got pissed at Swish and O-Cab for being vocal, there might be something to that, but still i hate conspiracy theories and Dye is as good as gone anyway.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
Maybe KW can get that Olney rumor in effect, roll up his sleeves and also net Ellsbury and the bullpen shore up with Bard and Okajima. I won't doubt KW at all and only have once before really (the B.Allen trade) so that won't change.

Not to try and talk bad about Allen, but I think we loved him (myself included) more on this board than is warranted. I am not sure he will ever be more than a platoon 1B.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
Is it true that the Mark Gonzalez interview had something about the vets being pissed at Getz for talking about the energy of the younger guys? I don't see that as a problematic statement, but... given that we heard that Dye and Konerko got pissed at Swish and O-Cab for being vocal, there might be something to that, but still i hate conspiracy theories and Dye is as good as gone anyway.

Yep. In this instance though I was really hoping the Sox realized that the vets were in the wrong and that this team needed more guys like Getz. Ozzie certainly liked Getz and I definitely did too. He was the type of guy you need.

And by no means am I saying Getz is a star, just that I liked his intangibles and the tools and thought he had the ability to be a .300 hitter with a .360 or so OBP, solid D, and 30+ steals and some good base-running.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
This has to be a done deal. No way KW would let two kids stew in their own juices for this long without there being something to it.

I don't believe that the deal in its current state could be done. I just don't believe it.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
if you go pods/beckham (from 2009 numbers) theres a 58% chance that someone will start the game, on base for Quentin.

and with Pods, theres a 30% chance he'll be on 2B or 3B after he either gets a hit or walk. (1B w/SB, 2B, 3B)

And theres a 47% chance that Quentin is hurt and not playing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
I don't believe that the deal in its current state could be done. I just don't believe it.

I am with you. While I like Teahen and his versatility possibilities, there has to be something else involved that we don't know. Like Kalapse's original post stated, there is some snag holding this up. Money coming or going, or we are not told all the players. Something is up for no official word yet.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Not to try and talk bad about Allen, but I think we loved him (myself included) more on this board than is warranted. I am not sure he will ever be more than a platoon 1B.

I don't care if he sucked his career, it was more on "value" which I never liked. But yea I don't want this into a B. Allen thread. It's bad enough that people brought up Nix even when Getz is now gone.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
Yep. In this instance though I was really hoping the Sox realized that the vets were in the wrong and that this team needed more guys like Getz. Ozzie certainly liked Getz and I definitely did too. He was the type of guy you need.

And by no means am I saying Getz is a star, just that I liked his intangibles and the tools and thought he had the ability to be a .300 hitter with a .360 or so OBP, solid D, and 30+ steals and some good base-running.

This is the point I would stress also. We have players from our own system-in this case Getz-who come up and suceed and we turn around and trade them off without really gaining anything major. In fact we give KC two players for one and comparing Getz alone to Teahan is in my opinion pretty much straight up other than Getz is a rookie with the chance to continue to improve. This makes no sense to me. Is Chris Getz one of those players KW called out as a quitter at the end of the season? He didn't seem to be one to me.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)

Agreed 100% and I really hope and it's disturbing to think that Getz was possibly traded because of this.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
I am with you. While I like Teahen and his versatility possibilities, there has to be something else involved that we don't know. Like Kalapse's original post stated, there is some snag holding this up. Money coming or going, or we are not told all the players. Something is up for no official word yet.

I heard the teams are waiting for "medical clearance" regarding Getz's injury before it becomes official.

Edited by 2OutRally

Forget about Teahen for a second; I'm actually glad Getz is gone. I absolutely hated the way he played defense. His arm is really, really bad. His range seemed terrible. And his arm...did i mention that. I hated everything about the way he turned the double play, too For every natural, fluid, and graceful movement that defined Alexei's 2nd half, Getz was the polar opposite.

If Beckham isn't our starting 2B, which I don't think he's going to be, then our starting 2B currently isn't on the White Sox yet.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
I don't care if he sucked his career, it was more on "value" which I never liked. But yea I don't want this into a B. Allen thread. It's bad enough that people brought up Nix even when Getz is now gone.

The Rays just traded a better than average 2B with good OB and defensive skills for a mediocre middle reliever. The White Sox traded an unproven prospect who struck out 40 times in 116 plate appearances for a mediocre middle reliever.

You tell me who got better value.