Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
That was my thought too. Teahen had a heck of a lot draft hype.

him and buck were the centerpieces of the Beltran deal, werent they?

That didnt really work out for the Royals

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
That was my thought too. Teahen had a heck of a lot draft hype.

It's KW's M.O. and I like it. Any pro sport is such a mental game, 1st rounders have the raw talent at least and sometimes removing the pressure of being a teams hyped prospect helps.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
Ya, I think I just commented how 4M could pretty much get you one of Hudson/Polanco (maybe add 1-3M). 2B don't make a done unless your Chase Utley.

Polanco would have been nice too. Sigh... I want to know what the thinking is here, where Beckham is going or staying, why we need to pay so much for a UT guy (if that's what he'll be), or why Teahen is a starting RF on a contending ballclub. Because with CJ around and very close, and Getz and CJ both at the minimum, and with a ton of FA out there in a bad market, I just can't see any sense in this move, especially this quickly. Teahen must be another one of Kenny's "guys."

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
What Kenny acquired was a versatile LH bat. The guy can play like 5 positions. That means we can put Teahen at 2B and try and sign a RF. Or put Teahen in RF and try and sign a 2B. Teahen is no star but I bet he'll perform better with a change of scenery.

Interesting that KW picked up another underachieving 1st rounder.

That would be the M.O. of this current regime: completely ignoring defense.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
It's KW's M.O. and I like it. Any pro sport is such a mental game, 1st rounders have the raw talent at least and sometimes removing the pressure of being a teams hyped prospect helps.

I think that's more true for talented pitchers than once highly-touted position players, and I don't see Teahen as a breakout candidate. This is much more Mackowiak-for-Marte than the Thornton, Gavin, or Quentin deals. Besides, I doubt there had been tons of pressure on him in KC. If the pressure has been on anyone there, it has been on Gordon.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
When he was drafted the A's were in a tizzy about how projectable Teahen was. How he looked like a guy who could grow into a massive amount of power, it never played out, but their are flashes.

The A's also expected a lot of guys to develop power based on how Giambi had developed surprising power for his frame. They had a bit of an issue with their data, it turned out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
The A's also expected a lot of guys to develop power based on how Giambi had developed surprising power for his frame. They had a bit of an issue with their data, it turned out.

Well lets just roid Teahen up than. :)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
I actually think this trade is the exact opposite.

"Versatile defender" should only apply to players that can actually defend multiple positions relatively well. And if he is going to be penciled in at 2B like the original poster suggested then they're once again ignoring defense.

If true Teahan brings lefthandedness and versatility. This points to the Sox leaning more towards a rotating DH. I speculated in my thread the the Sox needed to improve the defense and 2nd base was the only logical place to upgrade. You now see this by Getz being the 1st one gone. Though Teahan isn't the upgrade defensively in the outfield I was hoping for, he's still he a big upgrade defensively over Dye. He's 28 so entering the prime of his career so maybe the Cell and that will makes his power numbers better. He is a big guy , 6'3" 210 so he could generate power.

I'd like to see a Soxtalk poll seeing who thinks Beckham or Ramirez will be switching positions . I really don't see it happening but getting Teahan just adds fuel to that fire.

Nest step sign Polanco . An untested rookie like Retherford cannot be the choice at 2nd base on a team with World Series aspirations. He didn't even get a September call up.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:22 PM)
That would be the M.O. of this current regime: completely ignoring defense.

I agree. Defense wins games. The trade makes little sense. Offensively Teahan may give a bit more, but he has more ML time. Getz is a pretty good defender and wa swinging a good bat plus has speed. Open up one hole to fill another.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
"Versatile defender" should only apply to players that can actually defend multiple positions relatively well. And if he is going to be penciled in at 2B like the original poster suggested then they're once again ignoring defense.

I think it depends where we slot it. Teahen>Dye, Nix>Getz, ETC.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)

That is my biggest concern with this as well - defense. Getz looked pretty good to me at 2B, not spectacular, but decent and a rookie. Teahen likely would be worse, probably significantly, and he'd have to work well with an erratic and defensively underachieving Ramirez.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
If true Teahan brings lefthandedness and versatility. This points to the Sox leaning more towards a rotating DH. I speculated in my thread the the Sox needed to improve the defense and 2nd base was the only logical place to upgrade. You now see this by Getz being the 1st one gone. Though Teahan isn't the upgrade defensively in the outfield I was hoping for, he's still he a big upgrade defensively over Dye. He's 28 so entering the prime of his career so maybe the Cell and that will makes his power numbers better. He is a big guy , 6'3" 210 so he could generate power.

I'd like to see a Soxtalk poll seeing who thinks Beckham or Ramirez will be switching positions . I really don't see it happening but getting Teahan just adds fuel to that fire.

Nest step sign Polanco . An untested rookie like Retherford cannot be the choice at 2nd base on a team with World Series aspirations. He didn't even get a September call up.

People realize Polanco had a mediocre year at the plate and on the bases in '09 and is not 34 years old, right? 2B typically go down hill very fast especially when they reach their mid 30's.