Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
and Ozzie can't say it until KW tells him he's done making moves in the offseason

Exactly. We shouldn't be freaking out about this move until we know for sure where Teahen is playing.

Kenny always describes his offseasons as puzzles, and this is the first piece to it. There will be more to come.

QUOTE (League @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
Until I hear Ozzie or Kenny say that, I'm not believing it.

Yeah, who is saying this? The NY Daily News reporter who looked at where Teahan played last year?

No one can possibly know our plans for Teahan until Kenny and Ozzie come out and say it.

QUOTE (daggins @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
I don't like giving up two minimum salaries for a 1 WAR, 4.5MM guy. Especially from a GM who constantly b****es about not having the cash to get good players.

Kenny hasn't being saying that. His moves have been speaking to the contrary, in fact. Adding Peavy, Rios and now Teahen is throwing around some serious cash.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
Nix is not becoming a starter. Get that one out of your head.

Nothing has changed. You were telling me that Nix wouldn’t have the job before Getz was gone, and now you’re telling me it again. At least, you’re being consistent. The only thing we lost in this trade was a liability, a liability that would have stayed with us, because of some misconceived notion of what makes a player “good.” The fact is Getz doesn’t have the raw potential of any of the guys that are going to take his job here. We lost nothing. I like Chris Getz; I’m not going to miss him

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
Josh Fields still has more potential than Jayson Nix.

Well then, lets field a team full of potential. Cuz that works pretty well. Just ask the Mets early 90's pitching staff. Or the Pirates. Or the Royals. Let's look at this a different way. If Teahen doesn't work out...he's gone after 2010, if not sooner. And you take a $4 mil hit for 1 year.

QUOTE (League @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
Kenny hasn't being saying that. His moves have been speaking to the contrary, in fact. Adding Peavy, Rios and now Teahen is throwing around some serious cash.

I think there is going to be a big salary or two coming off the board still...so I don't think this means we are necessarily adding payroll by any means.

Keep in mind Teahan also plays some 1b...

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
Seriously, you would have thought we just traded Danks and Beckham for Teahen judging by the reaction in this thread. Fields obviously was done with the organization, and Getz, as I've said all along, was never going to be more than a #8 or 9 hitter.

Here's my thought on it. Starting pitching isn't the reason we lost last year (other than Jose sucking a bunch early). It was offense and bullpen. So far we have not resigned one of our better hitters last year (and we most likely won't), picked up a guy with a .754 OPS.

I know I'm freaking out, I know it's not totally logical, but I keep having visions of the following and it scares me to death.

Nix 2B

Beckham 3B

CQ LF

PK 1B

Kotsay DH

AJ C

Rios CF

Teahen RF

Alexei SS

AHHHHHH :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
Here's my thought on it. Starting pitching isn't the reason we lost last year (other than Jose sucking a bunch early). It was offense and bullpen. So far we have not resigned one of our better hitters last year (and we most likely won't), picked up a guy with a .754 OPS.

I know I'm freaking out, I know it's not totally logical, but I keep having visions of the following and it scares me to death.

Nix 2B

Beckham 3B

CQ LF

PK 1B

Kotsay DH

AJ C

Rios CF

Teahen RF

Alexei SS

I know Wise was the starting CF last year so anything is possible, but I just don't see that happening

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:42 PM)

Nix won't leadoff, you know Ozzie wants his speedy, slappy leadoff hitters.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
As one who has said we don't have a lot of cash to throw around this offseason, I'm starting to wonder if Jerry might be willing to drop a few more bucks considering the special rotation we have.

Who knows, but I guess I wouldn't be shocked.

Could he also be thinking he could sign higher quality players for a lower price because of a down market?

Nix 2B

Beckham 3B

CQ LF

PK 1B

Kotsay DH

AJ C

Rios CF

Teahen RF

Alexei SS

why not Rios in the leadoff spot instead?

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
Disagree, as at least Nix is a great base runner and superior fielder. Both have the potential to hit for above average power with a low batting average. I would be shocked if Fields is even in the majors 3 years from now.

Fields has tons more pop than Nix and for that reason I say he has much more potential. But that said, I don't expect anything from either.

Nix 2B

Beckham 3B

CQ LF

PK 1B

Kotsay DH

AJ C

Rios CF

Teahen RF

Alexei SS

Starting pitching wasn't the reason we lost last season but we also didn't have Peavy and Freddy/Huddy for most of the season. Our starting pitching is going to win a lot of games for us this year no matter what.

And once again, there's a negative 30 percent chance that's our lineup next season. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Wow, I'm not a fan. Getz and Fields for a guy that will make 4M in salary.

Makes very little sense to me. However, I will say that I like Teahan, but wow, opened up a major hole at 2B. There are guys out there who could fill that hole and none of them with the possible exception of Beckham (if a 3B is brought in) or Retherford (who has raked at every level, although that is no guarantee that he'll do the same at the big league level) are on the Sox.

Sox have to be getting cash back or something. I really think Mark is a solid player and a very versatile pick-up, but at the same time the finances of this deal don't make sense. I think we'll find out its Fields for Teahan.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
Starting pitching wasn't the reason we lost last season but we also didn't have Peavy and Freddy/Huddy for most of the season. Our starting pitching is going to win a lot of games for us this year no matter what.

And once again, there's a negative 30 percent chance that's our lineup next season. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

We all know at the end of the day Kenny is going to pull some move out of his ass that gets everyone freaking out with names no one really thought of. It happens every year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
Wow, I'm not a fan. Getz and Fields for a guy that will make 4M in salary.

Makes very little sense to me. However, I will say that I like Teahan, but wow, opened up a major hole at 2B. There are guys out there who could fill that hole and none of them with the possible exception of Beckham (if a 3B is brought in) or Retherford (who has raked at every level, although that is no guarantee that he'll do the same at the big league level) are on the Sox.

Sox have to be getting cash back or something. I really think Mark is a solid player and a very versatile pick-up, but at the same time the finances of this deal don't make sense. I think we'll find out its Fields for Teahan.

Why do you assume Teahan wouldn't play 3rd?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
Nothing has changed. You were telling me that Nix wouldn’t have the job before Getz was gone, and now you’re telling me it again. At least, you’re being consistent. The only thing we lost in this trade was a liability, a liability that would have stayed with us, because of some misconceived notion of what makes a player “good.” The fact is Getz doesn’t have the raw potential of any of the guys that are going to take his job here. We lost nothing. I like Chris Getz; I’m not going to miss him

Nix isn't going to start. Getz at $400K is not a liability, and you're still cutting his abilities short because you love Nix for some reason. Nix sucks as a starter. He's a decent backup, but he can't play SS very well, so he's not even the best option there either. I'm pissed about this trade because we just added over $4M to the payroll for a player that is easily replaceable.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
Why do you assume Teahan wouldn't play 3rd?

Because Teahan isn't that good of a defensive 3rd baseman, nor does he hit good enough to play 3B, imo. You don't move Gordon Beckham for Mark Teahan.

If you want Teahen in the infield, he plays 2B, not 3B.