Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
To me, if this is true, I don't think losing Getz creates that big of a hole. Besides all of the ideas mentioned of sliding players over by using Teahen in the IF or keeping him in RF, there's already a solution whether or not the Sox can sign someone else.

If Teahen goes to the IF, you can have a Pods-Rios-CQ OF. Not the best defensively, but not bad (i know the Sox haven't resigned Pods, but personally, I don't think he's going to get a better deal from any other team than the Sox.

If Teahen goes to the OF, you have a Kong-Nix-Ramirez-Beckham IF. Not a major change and Nix provides more pop than Getz did.

Again, if true, the flexibility the Sox had last year would pay off.

Nix still can't hit right handers, that's the problem. Had Nix hit .230 against both right handers and left handers, he'd be an okay everyday player, given the fact that he hits for a lot of power to make up for his s***ty average and he also walks his fair share. But he absolutely sucks against right handers and it just so happens that most of the league throws with their right arm.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
Nix still can't hit right handers, that's the problem. Had Nix hit .230 against both right handers and left handers, he'd be an okay everyday player, given the fact that he hits for a lot of power to make up for his s***ty average and he also walks his fair share. But he absolutely sucks against right handers and it just so happens that most of the league throws with their right arm.

Check his minor league splits, an inability to hit right handers is an anomaly at this point in his career, not a rule.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
Mark Teahen = $3.575M + before he goes to arbitration this winter. For a utility guy. And we're giving up value. Linebrink better be going to Kansas City because Teahen is a borderline bad contract.

Yeah and add in the 1.5 for kotsay and it seems we are spending all our excess cash in little places. I don't like it if it prevents us from getting things that will really help since we are more than a utility player away from winning.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
Check his minor league splits, an inability to hit right handers is an anomaly at this point in his career, not a rule.

He was also an incredible player in the minors. Doesn't really mean that he'll be an incredible player up here.

It could be an anomaly though. Although I don't see him succeeding up to his talent level unless he starts hitting more line drives.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
Has anyone wondered openly yet in this thread if this might allow Becks to move to 2b?

I don't know if it has been said or not, but it could be any one of quite a few things. Teahan has played both corner OF spots and 2B/3B. Teahan could play RF and Becks/Ramirez could stay put. You could also slide both Becks and Ramirez over a spot to SS and 2B respectively, while looking for a 3B (Figgins anyone?), or Teahan could play 3B. You could also slide Teahan into LF with TCQ into right, while not touching the IF.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)
Maybe JR is going to spend more money than many of us think. Adding 4 million for Teahen, while at the same time creating a hole in the infield, isn't pinching pennies. Here's hoping for 120 million payroll and a ws ring.

Give Kenny 120 million and he'll win you two World Series rings with the team we have now. That would mean two big free agent signings.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 08:56 AM)
I don't know if it has been said or not, but it could be any one of quite a few things. Teahan has played both corner OF spots and 2B/3B. Teahan could play RF and Becks/Ramirez could stay put. You could also slide both Becks and Ramirez over a spot to SS and 2B respectively, while looking for a 3B (Figgins anyone?), or Teahan could play 3B. You could also slide Teahan into LF with TCQ into right, while not touching the IF.

Or maybe they genuinely think Viciedo will stick at 3b.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Has anyone wondered openly yet in this thread if this might allow Becks to move to 2b?

I think somebody mentioned it earlier. I also saw a few suggestions of him going to SS...which IMO, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. 2B...absolutely. It all depends what's up Kenny's sleeve (Polanco or Figgins). I seriously doubt Figgins happens though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)

Or instead we could just use Teahen as a UT player, you know, because he is one. I don't want this guy starting anywhere, but he would be a great option to rotate around. Kotsay can cover LF, RF, 1B, and occasionally CF in a pinch, while Teahen can cover the OF corners and 3B. That's nice versatility. But both players should be used to give the starters some days off.

If it moves Gordon to 2b, then they will get power at a spot that isn't a traditional "power spot" while losing it where Teahen plays, either 3b or COF, but with that said, playing 81 games at the cell, it wouldn't be outrageous if Teahen his 18-20 HRs this year, not great, but above his career average playing 81 at Kauf

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
I think somebody mentioned it earlier. I also saw a few suggestions of him going to SS...which IMO, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. 2B...absolutely. It all depends what's up Kenny's sleeve (Polanco or Figgins). I seriously doubt Figgins happens though.

Agree.

Before the offseason began I mentioned Beltre on a reclamation deal with Beckham going to 2B. I'd like that kind of move because it beefs up our IF offense and defense, and it puts Beckham in a spot where he can be elite for the next 10 years.