Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
What is all this love about CJ? I particularly don't think much of him, if anything a role player off the bench of some sort. The minor league player love gets to be a tad ridiculous sometimes. Until they prove something I certainly don't want us plugging them into the lineup to start the season.

I'm one of those CJ lovers (hmmm, that sounds weird) but even I'm not sure if he's ready for the big league. But the guy flat out hits wherever he's been. He's another one too that can play anywhere.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
What is all this love about CJ? I particularly don't think much of him, if anything a role player off the bench of some sort. The minor league player love gets to be a tad ridiculous sometimes. Until they prove something I certainly don't want us plugging them into the lineup to start the season.

I agree with you 100%. CJ is not the starting 2b next year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
Wait...what?

Do people still not get that Beckham is the face of the franchise the next 10-15 years?

I do agree that Beckham is pretty close to untouchable, and I don't really care to see him moved, but we should remember that we have a G. M. who thinks big. If you want the A. Gonzales' or Joey Vottos' of the world we have to give up something big as well. Kenny may just have the balls to pull something like this off if he thinks that it will help the Sox in the long run.

I think we'll have another second-base battle like last year.

Teahen playing the part of Getz (the shoe-in, if Teahen isn't already our OF)

Nix playing the part of Nix (project with great D)

Retherford playing the part of Beckham (the underdog)

I will, however, not rule out us signing someone bigger.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
Interesting. I am not surprised to see Fields out the door so quickly, but I am shocked to see Getz gone. Teahen is a nice add for us.

Not sure who it makes less sense for the Sox or the Royals. If true there will be more movement I am guessing. The Sox seemed to be pretty high on Getz

I hate this if there's any truth to it. It doesn't make any sense at all. Teahen is a UT player making too much money and Getz is a solid young player at the minimum. Teahen isn't even worth Getz straight up given the difference in salary. And I thought we had payroll constraints? I'll be f***ing pissed if 1/3 of our payroll room goes to Mark f***ing Teahen. We'd better be sending out Linebrink in the deal - and if so, then I love the move.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
We need to go for it this year, and this isn't a big enough move IMO. Now we have a hole in the infield that we didn't have yesterday, with nothing really gained, except for a lower ERA for Buehrle

the offseason started like 12 hours ago, lets wait out this 3 months before we decide that we have holes and havent adequately covered them up

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
I do agree that Beckham is pretty close to untouchable, and I don't really care to see him moved, but we should remember that we have a G. M. who thinks big. If you want the A. Gonzales' or Joey Vottos' of the world we have to give up something big as well. Kenny may just have the balls to pull something like this off if he thinks that it will help the Sox in the long run.

you wanna trade Beckham for Votto?

I don't know if I want this to happen...at all.

Fields would have been enough. Teahen hit like crap down the stretch this past season.

Plus, Getz has that special ability to piss you off since he's got that Twins mentality to him.

To me, if this is true, I don't think losing Getz creates that big of a hole. Besides all of the ideas mentioned of sliding players over by using Teahen in the IF or keeping him in RF, there's already a solution whether or not the Sox can sign someone else.

If Teahen goes to the IF, you can have a Pods-Rios-CQ OF. Not the best defensively, but not bad (i know the Sox haven't resigned Pods, but personally, I don't think he's going to get a better deal from any other team than the Sox.

If Teahen goes to the OF, you have a Kong-Nix-Ramirez-Beckham IF. Not a major change and Nix provides more pop than Getz did.

Again, if true, the flexibility the Sox had last year would pay off.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
I really think Teahan is on the infield somewhere in 2010. Probably 3B. I think we're going to acquire a new OF.

agreed. everyone else moves one slot over. also not a terrible backup plan for kenny if he fails to get an OF. He can say the plan all along was to put Teahan in right and he planned on Nix taking over 2nd, when in actuality he's still looking for the OF move.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
Pff, Retherford has Danny Richar written all over him. You can all slob him and say he's the next great thing, and I'll sit here and tell you that just breaking out at 24 in a fall league is a sign that he's getting lucky and he will suck.

Then he'll hit .200 or so and look like crap but people will still refuse to believe.

Then he will finally, a year later, be given away and fade to no man's land.

Go look at what he's done so far. He isn't "just breaking out" in the fall league - he has raked at every level.

That is no guarantee of course, but... 46 doubles in AA, to lead all of minor league baseball? That is a lot more than luck.