Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
In regards to SB, don't you have to factor in games played? I'm not saying Nix would have 25, but I would imagine he'd have at least 5 more in the same amount of games, no?

Yes I agree, I'm just impressed with Getz success rate in SBs, I'm all for SBs if you don't get caught all the time, 25 with 2 CS is an effective rate IMO. You are right, Nix showed some success in limited work

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
Yeah but that was mostly against lefties. I worry about him playing against all righties. But it's not just about Nix. I worry about where we're going to get offense from if a guy like Teahen is expected to put up corner outfield numbers, which he cant

it depends where Gordon plays, if he's moved to 2b you're picking up a lot of power in a non-traditional power position

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
I'll say it again Nix is a better player then Chris Getz. Mark Teahen is a better player then Chris Getz. CJ Retherford will likely be a better player then Chris Getz. It adds up to me as a net gain.

Keep repeating it, but it doesnt make it true. Getz>Nix.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
I know I know. Bigtime overreaction. Just nervous about the offseason/next season like I haven't been in a really long time. We are on a very thin line to where we improve and compete or fall into the 'bad' territory.

It is literally the day after the World Series. We have months to see what happens. I guess I don't see the value of freaking out on day one.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
God damn it...

This deal makes no sense at all. Add salary, open a hole at 2B, and we don't even get a prospect. For Mark Teahen. Wonderful.

Oh KHP...you are taking this trade too seriously. Teahen needed to get out of KC. Fields needed to get out of Chi. Getz is a loss, but you have two or three possible replacements IN HOUSE! And the salary added isn't all that much in the grand scheme.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
Keep repeating it, but it doesnt make it true. Getz>Nix.

asking this completely neutral because I think it's basically a push, why do you think Getz is better? Defense? Because Nix HR potential makes up for his other flaws at the plate. Is it that it was done mostly against LHPs? That's a legit concern.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
God damn it...

This deal makes no sense at all. Add salary, open a hole at 2B, and we don't even get a prospect. For Mark Teahen. Wonderful.

There's no hole. The hole is filled by a better player. Nix has more pop, better D, and a better minor league track record.

I just have a feeling with the White Sox minor league getting better, that means it gives KW more moveable pieces, I still wouldn't be shocked if a major player moves, good be Alexei, maybe if an NL team with a major hole at 1b takes PKs last year, just speculating, but this is KW and he has a sick 1-4 in the rotation, he's not going to lay back this year

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
Oh KHP...you are taking this trade too seriously. Teahen needed to get out of KC. Fields needed to get out of Chi. Getz is a loss, but you have two or three possible replacements IN HOUSE! And the salary added isn't all that much in the grand scheme.

Here's the thing:

Teahen is going to make $4M+ in arbitration this year. We gave up value to get that. We could have spent a little more and picked up a real starter at a position of need on the FA market without giving up anything. We just pissed away over $4M of payroll flexibility on a player the Kansas City was going to have to think about non-tendering. This deal is moronic. In Kenny I do not trust, not this time. Bad deal.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
asking this completely neutral because I think it's basically a push, why do you think Getz is better? Defense? Because Nix HR potential makes up for his other flaws at the plate. Is it that it was done mostly against LHPs? That's a legit concern.

Why is power such a big make up for not being able to hit the ball? He has alot of flaws at the plate and if he's on an island and not surrounded by a bunch of other power/k guys then maybe there is an argument. However, with the current makeup of the Sox, Getz is a much better fit, not only for SB's, but for contact rate and extending rally's to make other pitchers get more work. The good news is that Nix wont start anyway and he'll be mostly a sunday player.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)

Think about the other guy in this deal, Josh Fields.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
Why is power such a big make up for not being able to hit the ball? He has alot of flaws at the plate and if he's on an island and not surrounded by a bunch of other power/k guys then maybe there is an argument. However, with the current makeup of the Sox, Getz is a much better fit, not only for SB's, but for contact rate and extending rally's to make other pitchers get more work. The good news is that Nix wont start anyway and he'll be mostly a sunday player.

+1