Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
How versatile are you really when you suck just about everywhere you play on the field? Real hard to get excited about Mark Teahen, he doesn't do a whole hell of a lot well.

Is that really true? Can someone show us some defensive metrics?

I seem to remember Teahan being a solid 3b...my guess is the numbers say he isn't, which is why you have the opinion that you do.

Could he really be any worse at 3rd than Gordon?

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The overreactions in here are hilarious. 100 losses? Kotsay to DH full time? Seriously?

And I am thinking more and more that Plan A is for Teahen to play 2B, with the Sox acquiring an OF.

side note: If Getz still hasn't been told about the trade, after the story came out, that's pretty s***ty treatment. Not real happy with that.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)
Tell me why Chris Getz is a good player. Tell me why he's better then Nix or Teahen. Give me some numbers, don't give me feelings.

Its been discussed ad nauseum in about 4 or 5 threads already. Go re-read what countless people have told you countless times already. I'm not bringing it into yet another thread.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
It's that kind of crap that made Jayson Nixinto a legend on this board.. What don't you like about Getz? That he struggled at with injuries his rookie year? That he can hit for pop, steal a base, field the damn position better then nix? The intangibles works in Getz' favor.

right back atcha

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)

I seem to remember Teahan being a solid 3b...my guess is the numbers say he isn't, which is why you have the opinion that you do.

He's a terrible 3b and about an average corner of.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
Tell me why Chris Getz is a good player. Tell me why he's better then Nix or Teahen. Give me some numbers, don't give me feelings.

dont pull this bulls***. your feelings on Nix are the exact same. Plus, everytime someone makes a point in Getz favor you dismiss it in favor of potential.

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
The part that kills me is that I honestly think Mark would have been non-tendered.

He has some tools and potential but in five years he hasn't lived up to it so why pay a premium for it like the Sox have.

This really is a bad trade and I rarely hammer on Kenny.

I completely agree with all the points you made above.

Teahen came very close to being non-tendered last year.

Seems like a classic overpay to me.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)

Gordon will be a very good 3B, book it. He's got great hands, a strong enough arm, and very quick reflexes. The big thing he lacked was the lateral movements of an above avg shortstop, but as a 3B he has the ability to be a gold glover in time, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
The part that kills me is that I honestly think Mark would have been non-tendered. He has some tools and potential but in five years he hasn't lived up to it so why pay a premium for it like the Sox have.

This really is a bad trade and I rarely hammer on Kenny.

Damn it Chisoxfn, I was saying these exact same things pages back! You should have been here then so I wouldn't have had to type so much.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
The overreactions in here are hilarious. 100 losses? Kotsay to DH full time? Seriously?

And I am thinking more and more that Plan A is for Teahen to play 2B, with the Sox acquiring an OF.

side note: If Getz still hasn't been told about the trade, after the story came out, that's pretty s***ty treatment. Not real happy with that.

The trade doesn't smell right. You don't trade Getz for Teahen to be your starting 2B. Not when Teahen will make 4M more. At that point, why not sign Polanco or Hudson cause 4M would probably get your pretty damn close to signing one of those guys (give or take 1-3M).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
dont pull this bulls***. your feelings on Nix are the exact same. Plus, everytime someone makes a point in Getz favor you dismiss it in favor of potential.

I seem to remember giving you every fielding metric in the book, and you writing it off. All i hear is how great Getz is going to be, and all those arguements aren't based on anything other then what the eyes told you. And eye can decieve.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
I seem to remember giving you every fielding metric in the book, and you writing it off. All i hear is how great Getz is going to be, and all those arguements aren't based on anything other then what the eyes told you. And eye can decieve.

really? quote me, I would love for you to do that. I barely got involved in your getz nix thread because you were so damn hardheaded about it.

And now you are dragging the same s*** into this thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)

2009 UZR/150:

3B: -7.5

RF: -23.8

For his career he's a -8.9 at 3B. He's bad.

Gordon was really coming into his own defensively at the end of '09 his UZR had been down around -6.0 last year and he finished the year at -1.0 or just about average.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)

Also, people just want to throw away the 10 more HRs in about 120 less PAs, that means something. I basically think it's a push, it was a .324 to .308 OBP percentage difference favoring gets, but more pop from Nix. There's decent arguments that Getz takes more pitches, etc, but Nix is 1 year older than Getz and I didn't see anything from Getz to think the Sox are giving up a special player.

I hate all the leadoff hitter talk. Leadoff hitters hit once a game, for one thing. For another thing, OBP trumps speed, you don't HAVE to have a speedster at the top. And most importantly, its just not smart to acquire players based on hitting slot specifically, because you essentially corner yourself in the market and limit your possibilities. This is the same in any line of business. You don't go recruit people that are ideal for a fourth of their job, you recruit people that are best overall for the WHOLE job.

You assemble the best 9 guys you can, then make the lineup from there.