Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
Split stats like that fluctuate greatly from year to year, you can't acquire players based on their numbers with RISP. Did you know Polanco hit .278 w/ RISP and .258 w/ RISP and 2 out in '08?

You have to acquire players based on something. He could mentor Alexei, solidify the infield defense while bringing a solid bat and leadership. He's like a lot of players. Stats fluctuate dependent on major or minor injuries but his over all body of work is solid. I know Robbie Alomar crashing and burning must be fresh in your mind but I think Polanco is good for at least another year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 08:10 PM)
I still think something is up. I just can't put 2 and 2 together which makes me think either no trade, or there are other pieces to this puzzle and all of the info on this trade is not yet out.

Something is strange about this whole thing for sure

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
I think it is either the Tribune or the Sun-Times saying the Sox confirmed this trade. Then they go on to say they think Beckham moves to 2B as Ozzie supposedly said he things GB can be a 2Bman? Apparently the team is never satisfied with what they put in place. Speculations runs rampant that Figgins will be signed to play 3B. Oh well.

I think Beckham was just a stop gap at 3rd base. He never translated into a 3rd baseman from what I saw. He was always seen as a middle infielder with shortstop being a bit of a stretch. I think he was always put in as a 2nd baseman and desperation led to him filling in at 3rd last year.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
Someone enlighten me. How does this improve the Sox? To me it's just a trade to get rid of Josh Field. How is this Royal worth 2 or 1 1/2 players?

They could have just cut Josh without adding salary. This is not a trade to get rid of someone, unless Linebrink or Paulie are involved, because they have contracts worth ridding.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:19 PM)
They could have just cut Josh without adding salary. This is not a trade to get rid of someone, unless Linebrink or Paulie are involved, because they have contracts worth ridding.

They could also just wait until December 12th and sign Teahen as a free agent when he's non-tendered by the Royals. Of course then you have to enter into a large scale bidding war with the other 28 teams in baseball all chomping at the bit to get their hands on Mark Teahen.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
They could also just wait until December 12th and sign Teahen as a free agent when he's non-tendered by the Royals. Of course then you have to enter into a large scale bidding war with the other 28 teams in baseball all chomping at the bit to get their hands on Mark Teahen.

Green?

:unsure:

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
Of course then you have to enter into a large scale bidding war with the other 28 teams in baseball all chomping at the bit to get their hands on Mark Teahen.

Haha, yeah, there really aren't enough of those 1 WAR outfielders to go around.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)

Yeah I know. He's a nice player and he can help a contending ballclub over a 162 game season quite a bit as a bench guy, but IMO he's a $2M player tops, and he's going to get $4M+ in arb, which is why I won't be happy with this unless it's a salary dump of another player. It might be wishful thinking on my part, but maybe the Royals want to save face and trade Teahen for something rather than cut the centerpiece of the Beltran deal and get nothing. To me, Teahen for Fields straight up is a fair trade. I'm hoping the inclusion of Getz, and maybe a prospect, is the price we have to pay to send out Linebrink. But again, probably wishful thinking.

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
Yea i'm with Kalapse here... i think something isn't being said yet for a reason... im getting the feeling that this trade isnt just teahen for getz and fields... something else is coming our way or the players involved are incorrect...

DeJesus

:praying:

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
Yea i'm with Kalapse here... i think something isn't being said yet for a reason... im getting the feeling that this trade isnt just teahen for getz and fields... something else is coming our way or the players involved are incorrect...

Billy Butler

http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/soxdrawer

Sox Drawer: Dealing Getz Under Way Early

Recommend

Comment()

Email

Print

Sharing

The arrival of Mark Teahen will open the door to plenty of positional speculation. (AP)

Previous Posts

Sox Drawer: Dealing Getz Under Way Early

Comments (1)

Sox Drawer: The Ozzie Guillen Show

Comments (1) Recommended (6)

Sox Drawer: Ozzie Guillen Exclusive Interview

Comments (2) Recommended (9)

Sox Drawer: You Be the GM

Comments (42) Recommended (13)

A Pair of Meltdowns on the South Side

Comments (9) Recommended (8)

Thursday, November 5

Well, that didn’t take long.

Just hours after the Yankees beat the Philles in the World Series, officially marking the end of the 2009 baseball season, the White Sox have reportedly made the first big trade for the 2010 season. The New York Daily News is reporting that the Sox have sent Chris Getz and Josh Fields to Kansas City for Mark Teahen.

But the news might be a little premature. Chris sent me a message at 11:15 a.m. saying that “nothing has been confirmed.” Meanwhile, the White Sox are being mum about it, choosing not to confirm or deny the report.

This isn’t to say that the deal won’t happen. But in our world of lightning-quick technology, rumors of a trade sometimes travel faster than the actual trade itself.

If the report is true, the possibilities are quite intriguing.

First, it immediately opens a hole at second base, leading to speculation as to who might fill it.

The Sox could go the free agent route. Orlando Hudson and Mark DeRosa are available. So is Placido Polanco, who like Teahen has been a White Sox killer over the years. Polanco can hit the ball to all fields, he works the count and rarely strikes out. He also might come relatively cheap. He made $4.6 million a year the last four seasons with the Tigers and is 34 years old.

They could also bring back a certain free agent who can play three infield positions, is one of the best defensive players in White Sox history, and just so happened to record the final out in the 2005 World Series.

Ladies and gentlemen, Juan Uribe. Thoughts?

Of course, the Sox could also make an internal move. Jayson Nix is a possibility. But considering his struggles at the plate last year, and the message Ozzie Guillen sent him and Brent Lillibridge (hit or else), that might be too big of a gamble.

They could also move Gordon Beckham over to second base, or have Gordon play shortstop – his natural position – and move Alexei Ramirez back to second.

In that scenario, you now have a hole at third base. Chone Figgins anyone? But considering his red-hot demand, it’s more like Kenny Williams will have to open up the Jerry Reinsdorf vault to get him.

But if there is some money to be spent, here’s another free agent candidate: Adrian Beltre.

He’s won the last two American League Gold Glove Awards at third base for the Mariners, but is easily coming off the worst hitting season of his career (eight homers and 44 RBIs in 111 games). True, he made over $13 million each of the last two seasons, which is very much out of the White Sox price range.

But I smell bargain.

The other candidate at third is Teahen himself. He played 107 games at the hot corner last year for the Royals. He also played 32 games in right (good-bye Jermaine Dye?), as well as 11 at first and even three at second.

The man is versatile, and with today’s re-signing of the uber-versatile Mark Kotsay, it gives Williams many options with the GM meetings starting next week in Chicago.

If the Teahen deal happens, consider this merely move No. 1. There are plenty more coming. Keep checking back for throughout the day. If more news happens, we’ll have it.

i've always been a big mark teahen fan.....not sure if its just because he has always crushed mark buerhle or what, but i thought the cubs were getting him for sure last year to play 2b....

there was a thread back in june or july about us being interested in him (probably right around the all star break) and i was in favor of getting him...

his pre and post allstar game splits are interesting ....seems like he was drinking the same water as jermaine dye

PreASG: .294/.350/.447 with 9 HR

PostASG: .237/.288/.351 with 3 HR

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
You lost me here. Who are you saying was the problem there, and who do you think will be at what positions now?

I thought Getz and Ramirez were an awful combo and had no rhythm when turning the double play (Getz's arm was also extremely weak on the relay).

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
I thought Getz and Ramirez were an awful combo and had no rhythm when turning the double play (Getz's arm was also extremely weak on the relay).

I thought Getz's arm was fine...my issue was with Alexei arriving late to take the feeds...

This move leaves us with 1 open position in the infield or the outfield. . Teahen can play 3b as well. This is a very solid move by KW and staff as it doesn't restrict them from making a splash for that quality leadoff man. So all the possibilities are still endless. Crawford, Figgins, Polanco, etc. . . . :gosoxretro: