AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
I would rather we just stop talking about him and forget it. Why give him the satisfaction of knowing there is an entire thread dedicated to him?

How about a moratorium on Cow Ley

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
FWIW, I've known Jason and Mario since Soxnet.net's infancy and I can say with some substance that theytake this endeavor very seriously, and would never post something they "imagined" in their basement. They are both too talented and honest to fabricate a rumor and the only thing that separates either of them and Joe Cowleotti is a press pass. It is a shame that Cowleotti decided to attack Soxnet without really investigating the author of the story or the entitiy he created. If Cowleotti had taken the time to read this board or anything else that Jason has created he would have discovered that this is no "in my parents basement" type of operation. I genuinely believe there is some great baseball discussion on this board and some great baseball analysis via Soxnet and Futuresox. Anyone who vehemently disagrees probably doesn't visit the site.

Agreed! I trust a report from Jason MORE than some local writters.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 07:58 AM)
As do I. But for a team with a limited payroll, a team that's proven they will not bid on elite free agents, a team that has as many holes as we do, good luck fielding a team that can consistently get to the postseason without being able to develop their own talent.

There's 2 ways to look at it.

If we were to deal the farm for Gonzalez right now, we'd have what would look like a fairly stacked team next year assuming we signed a corner OF somewhere. Barring injury, you'd have a Hell of a starting rotation, 2 guys in the lineup who can legitimately hit 40+ home runs, a lot of speed, a bullpen that might need another piece but who's doesn't. You'd have as legitimate of a shot at a 2 year run as the Phillies had when they traded for Lee.

The downside though is what is going to happen after 2011. Buehrle and Gonzalez have their contracts up, Jenks is likely gone, Peavy's a year away from gone, Danks and Floyd are really expensive and gone after 2012. The real rub though is...that's at the same time that Beckham's going to be hitting his prime 26-30 years.

It's possible KW may draft well enough to rebuild on the fly, esp. if he has another high pick to work with or if he nails some of the lower rounds, and this will all become moot. But if you do go for the Gonzalez trade right now, you're gambling on having very little remaining around Beckham and a guaranteed rebuilding period starting in 2012. Could be worth it.

To hype this Flaming Lips concert on The Score ad breaks, I cant believe the commercial plays "She Dont Use Jelly"

Do we know John Danks is gone after 2012? There are a few ways this can go. In short, though, KW has shown he'll worry about the next year or two foremost and let the rest sort itself out. Even when our farm system looked bleak, he was able to trade a real young prospect for a guy like Quentin. You can always make a bridge move, in addition to spending dough of course.

Mark Gonzalez now on 670

Edited by Princess Dye

The Sox aren't among the super spenders, ie the NYY, NYM, Red Sox and Cubs, but they are still a pretty big payroll team, i believe in the top 10 the last few years. It's not like that money isn't going to be earmarked for either their own players or outside FAs. I imagine the Sox will stay around the area they are as far as payroll goes as we move along. I'm not saying the Sox are in a position where they can't develop their own players, but it's not like they're the Royals either.

Some of these scenarios have all veteran/bigger money players leaving and the Sox not signing some or replacing some through trade or FA. The Sox added two big contracts in Rios and Peavy during the season, KW decided to go that route instead of risking the FA pool (I imagine the Hunter situation led him to go that route, the uncertainty of FA), but the Sox basically used and will use all the payroll they had last year.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 09:30 AM)
what does what mean? The short legs comment? Basically, there not much to the trade rumor.

Basically it means exactly what we reported, prelim discussions happened and it sounds like nothing ultimately went past that. I think it is exactly what we've widely speculated.

The key to me is that the three teams had prelim discussions and moved on for the time being. From the Angels perspective I am sure they have far bigger fish to fry at this point in time, but it doesn't mean Reagans wasn't willing to chat for a bit.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
What exactly did he say, I'm curious?

I'll get you a link once it is posted online.

He said something to the effect that SoxNet was one of the first to report the Sox might land Peavy and he looked into the AG deal and it had "very short legs". He could have meant the trade isnt very far, or that it isnt true.