AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

SI's Jon Heyman mentions the rumor...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...halladay/1.html

1. Adrian Gonzalez: Any acquiring team would have to put together a tremendous package for the superstar player with the most reasonable multiyear contract in baseball ($10.5 million over the next two years). The silliest rumor so far had Gonzalez possibly going in a three-way trade with Paul Konerko going to the Angels and prospects to the Padres. Beyond the fact the Angels have a great first baseman in Kendry Morales, Konerko's high contract makes him a giveaway at this point.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
Yet again, someone missing the point here - the main desired Sox pieces in that trade are NOT named Konerko.

We should also point out that our initial source did not give any specifics regarding what the Angels would be trading, but did mention there would be salary relief coming.

Now salary relief could imply cash coming from the Sox or the Angels sending a player with a contract. So if it is the Konerko piece that makes the rumor so bogus, than I find it very interesting that people ignore the fact that Konerko and cash or Konerko for a bad contract and prospects makes a lot of sense for the Angels.

I'm I am the Angels, I'd consider dealing Brandon Wood, Gary Matthews Jr., and cash to the White Sox for Paul Konerko. Matthews has no value to the Angels, in fact he has negative value, and Konerko would give the Angels much positive value as a DH.

The better question is if I'm the White Sox would I do that.

And than from the Padres perspective, would you consider a deal (hypothetical) involving Brandon Wood, Jordan Danks, Hudson, and Flowers.

Someone will tell me the Pads think they have there 3B of the future, but I'd counter and say that Wood is fully capable of playing 2B (if you can play SS, you can play 2B). So the Pads could fill 3 major holes in there everyday lineup with players ready who possess upside and get a potential #2/#3 starter who is ready for the majors.

Ya, I'd say that could legitimately make sense for all parties. The team I'd question would be the White Sox who'd be giving up a whole hell of a lot for 2 years of Adrian Gonzalez.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
We have a winner, Gonzales is definitely a class act.

So, theres short legs, but obviously Kenny likes Adrian Gonzalez, so theres still a chance.

I think everyone knew this deal wasn't going to go-down ASAP and that the odds were ultimately remote.

Does the media indicate that the Sox have interest in Figgins, etc. Absolutely. This really isn't much different than that, with the exception we are indicating that the three teams had a preliminary discussion on a potential trade. The discussion most likely occured at the GM Meetings and odds are it wasn't going to go anywhere (given all of the variables).

The premise of the attack was ridiculous. Basically if you had written "unidentified sources" or "sources close to the team" you would have appropriately disclosed that you had a source for the article. No one who writes these rumors ever says:

"According to the Assistant to the GM the following trade may occur:"

If you did something like that youd probably never get a story again. This entire thing is much ado about nothing. My guess is that for whatever reason there is some sort of rift between Chicago Tribune and Cowley/Sun Times, and this exchange was actually a manifestation of that rift.

The comments or insinuations that the Chicago Tribune had anything to do with this article is what some what mind boggling.

The silver lining is you cant pay for this type of publicity. Years ago when this place started I doubt you imagined that a sports reporter and sports show in Chicago would be taking time out of there day to talk about you.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
I think everyone knew this deal wasn't going to go-down ASAP and that the odds were ultimately remote.

Does the media indicate that the Sox have interest in Figgins, etc. Absolutely. This really isn't much different than that, with the exception we are indicating that the three teams had a preliminary discussion on a potential trade. The discussion most likely occured at the GM Meetings and odds are it wasn't going to go anywhere (given all of the variables).

But, there is perhaps even more useful insight that can be gained by reading between the lines of this report, if one thinks about it.

1. KW realizes he's hamstrung somewhat by contracts, and if he could move Konerko to save a couple million it'd give him more flexibility.

2. KW definitely has interest in Gonzalez.

3. Despite KW's interest in Gonzalez...right now the asking price appears to be essentially "So much of our farm system that I just can't do it". Whatever piece he doesn't want to give up, the Padres are asking for a guy or for a combination of guys that is more than he's willing to give up right now. One way around that would be to swipe someone from another team that would interest the Padres instead of one of our guys, and KW is currently exploring that.

It could be that either the price for Gonzalez may come down as the offseason wears on and offers come in from other teams, or it could be that signings/other trade opportunities might make things shift in a way that could fill that hole.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
We should also point out that our initial source did not give any specifics regarding what the Angels would be trading, but did mention there would be salary relief coming.

Now salary relief could imply cash coming from the Sox or the Angels sending a player with a contract. So if it is the Konerko piece that makes the rumor so bogus, than I find it very interesting that people ignore the fact that Konerko and cash or Konerko for a bad contract and prospects makes a lot of sense for the Angels.

I'm I am the Angels, I'd consider dealing Brandon Wood, Gary Matthews Jr., and cash to the White Sox for Paul Konerko. Matthews has no value to the Angels, in fact he has negative value, and Konerko would give the Angels much positive value as a DH.

The better question is if I'm the White Sox would I do that.

And than from the Padres perspective, would you consider a deal (hypothetical) involving Brandon Wood, Jordan Danks, Hudson, and Flowers.

Someone will tell me the Pads think they have there 3B of the future, but I'd counter and say that Wood is fully capable of playing 2B (if you can play SS, you can play 2B). So the Pads could fill 3 major holes in there everyday lineup with players ready who possess upside and get a potential #2/#3 starter who is ready for the majors.

Ya, I'd say that could legitimately make sense for all parties. The team I'd question would be the White Sox who'd be giving up a whole hell of a lot for 2 years of Adrian Gonzalez.

This is exactly how i took Konerko to the Angles. We have heard numerous Konerko-to-the-Angles before and usually they involved prospects, and to that end nothing ever materialized. I think salary relief to the Angles makes a ton of sense, and GMJ + a couple prospects and cash for Konerko makes some sense as this opens an OF spot for Juan Rivera for them and gives them a full time DH for far less cash at the end of the day than GMJ will cost them to ride their bench.

This type of deal if difficult to complete all the way through, because this is probably largely contingent on the Padres being satisfied with the prospect packaged they received. Ultimately a deal could be structured as follows, although this is as unlikely as any talked about thus far:

Angles get Konerko (salary relief)

White Sox get Adrian Gonzalez and Gary Matthews Jr

Padres get Brandon Wood, Jordan Danks, Tyler Flowers, Dan Hudson,

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
But, there is perhaps even more useful insight that can be gained by reading between the lines of this report, if one thinks about it.

1. KW realizes he's hamstrung somewhat by contracts, and if he could move Konerko to save a couple million it'd give him more flexibility.

2. KW definitely has interest in Gonzalez.

3. Despite KW's interest in Gonzalez...right now the asking price appears to be essentially "So much of our farm system that I just can't do it". Whatever piece he doesn't want to give up, the Padres are asking for a guy or for a combination of guys that is more than he's willing to give up right now. One way around that would be to swipe someone from another team that would interest the Padres instead of one of our guys, and KW is currently exploring that.

It could be that either the price for Gonzalez may come down as the offseason wears on and offers come in from other teams, or it could be that signings/other trade opportunities might make things shift in a way that could fill that hole.

Or there has been no asking price and the Padres are exploring all possibilities (farm systems) before committing to an offer.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
Or there has been no asking price and the Padres are exploring all possibilities (farm systems) before committing to an offer.

If the Padres don't currently have an "If you offer this level of deal you've got him" asking price, then they need a new GM again. That asking price can be ridiculously high, but it should have existed the day they hired their new GM. For example, if the Sox offered Beckham and Hudson or something like that...they'd be out of their minds not to accept it that second.

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
This is exactly how i took Konerko to the Angles. We have heard numerous Konerko-to-the-Angles before

I think salary relief to the Angles makes a ton of sense

Angles get Konerko (salary relief)

Those god damn Angles do make alot of sense. I mean they just merit adjusting at times.. with them being all angle-like about it. Sometimes it pisses me off how off those angles are at times myself.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
Those god damn Angles do make alot of sense. I mean they just merit adjusting at times.. with them being all angle-like about it. Sometimes it pisses me off how off those angles are at times myself.

You're so obtuse.