Official: Omar Vizquel Signs with Sox

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 12:23 AM)
I read where Orlando Hudson would be hard pressed to get the guarantee of a little over $3 million he received last year. Put him at 2B, leave Beckham at 3B, and I think the infield everyday defense is better than with Teahan, the offense is most likely better and you still have money left over. I keep reading about bargains. As giddy as people are about Teahan and Vizquel, and I find it shocking, the bullpen has yet to be addressed. There are plenty of reasons the Sox lost a lot in 2009. Having Omar Vizquel play 3B in the 8th and 9th, addresses only an extremely small percentage.

As for waiting before commenting, if that's the case, why have a message board? KW said he was doing some projection with Teahan, why can't we? IMO the White Sox have spent $5 million that could have been spent on more pressing issues. Sure Vizquel is one of the greatest defensive players ever, but not only is he now 43, he's not going to play much. He had a little over 1 chance a game last year if you consider the 162 game schedule.

I've certainly been a fan of Hudson in the past, mainly for his defensive ability.

But as he's been getting older, that's probably been slipping from the level it was back when he was playing with the Bluejays. I mean he's still pretty solid at .796 RZR, but for comparisons sake, Chris Getz had a RZR of .826, so you'd actually be downgrading there. And his OPS slipped to its lowest level in 3-4 seasons to .774, albeit that's still pretty decent. And there's always the issue of the nagging injuries that he seems to pick up every season, so his lack of durability is another factor you'd have to consider.

But Hudson is also a Type A FA this off-season, albeit we wouldn't lose our 1st round pick at 13, but we'd lose our 2nd round pick, which I'm sure would come into KW's calculations.

As for the bullpen, do you want the Sox to go out there in FA and give out the type of contracts that they gave to Scott Linebrink and Octavio Dotel 2 seasons ago? It's all about supply and demand with FA relievers, even the above average ones get taken care of pretty well, and quite often just because of the unpredicatable nature of relievers from year to year, giving out a sizeable contract like that can certainly backfire.

The Vizquel signing is basically to improve the Sox's infield defense as a whole. And he'll probably put up around the same offensive numbers as what Getz put up in 2009, so you're not going to lose a lot there. If Vizquel can help make Alexei a better SS for instance, Teahen a better third baseman, then the signing will have been worth it IMO.

And by all means, of course we can project numbers here etc. as it's a message board, I was just looking for the reasoning behind those projections I guess. At least with Rios, we were able to tell pretty much straight away what he was going to be like offensively. With Teahen, we have to wait around 5-6 months.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 07:23 AM)
I read where Orlando Hudson would be hard pressed to get the guarantee of a little over $3 million he received last year. Put him at 2B, leave Beckham at 3B, and I think the infield everyday defense is better than with Teahan, the offense is most likely better and you still have money left over. I keep reading about bargains. As giddy as people are about Teahan and Vizquel, and I find it shocking, the bullpen has yet to be addressed. There are plenty of reasons the Sox lost a lot in 2009. Having Omar Vizquel play 3B in the 8th and 9th, addresses only an extremely small percentage.

As for waiting before commenting, if that's the case, why have a message board? KW said he was doing some projection with Teahan, why can't we? IMO the White Sox have spent $5 million that could have been spent on more pressing issues. Sure Vizquel is one of the greatest defensive players ever, but not only is he now 43, he's not going to play much. He had a little over 1 chance a game last year if you consider the 162 game schedule.

Why? As far as I can tell, there isn't a single reliever that has even been signed yet this off season.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 08:05 AM)
This is an excellent post. I agree. I would rather fix the holes that are in the OF and DH. I will be very disappointed if the fix is Pods and Thome again. I would trade Jenks if I found a taker and it got me a decent OF.

If Jenks can be a difference maker in a trade that gets us a serious OF bat, then yeah, you do that. But I wouldn't seek to trade him specifically.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 08:28 AM)
If Jenks can be a difference maker in a trade that gets us a serious OF bat, then yeah, you do that. But I wouldn't seek to trade him specifically.

I think I would. The guy comes across as a disaster waiting to happen. What's with him not wanting to get in shape?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
3.75 ERA, 1.36 WHIP with the Sox

Definitely could have given up a few less baserunners, but you can do way way worse for a middle reliever. The Cubs just got a few prospects from Zona for Heilman who was worse than Pena

Apparently both prospects were pretty bad though, so the Cubs sold low on Heilman.

When does ST and the regular season start? Not soon enough in my opinion.

I'm not ready for it yet. Would like to see some more KW tinkering before I get excited. Right now all we have is a damn good starting rotation.

Our everyday lineup is average to poor. Our bullpen on paper always is good but still could be average at best.

Tinker Kenny, tinker.

I'll probably be ready after the start of the New Year or after the winter meetings.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
I was shocked at the giddyness of the Teahan and Vizquel acquisitions, not that the bullpen hasn't been addressed yet. Before anyone gets too excited about this team, that needs to be straightened out.

Im shocked everytime someone infers giddyness when the reality is that most people recognize that this is a solid move to strengthen bench and provide depth.