Official: Omar Vizquel Signs with Sox

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
43 years old. This is a buddy pity deal from Oz.

Or the signing of an elite defender to backup 3 infield positions. Doesn't really matter how old you are when you're still fully capable of doing what a team asks of you.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think if people were honest with themselves, they're upset about this less b/c it's Vizquel but more because our initial free agent splash isnt a big one.

Were this an additional move announced in conjunction with a trade for Adrian Gonzalez for spects, i'm sure everyone would be loving it.

Like Orlando Pace being a great signing right after the Cutler trade. Had Pace been the only move of the offseason...i wonder what the response wouldve been.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
Or the signing of an elite defender to backup 3 infield positions. Doesn't really matter how old you are when you're still fully capable of doing what a team asks of you.

^^^

Doesnt matter how many times this is has already been said, some people just don't get it.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
I would think if people were honest with themselves, they're upset about this less b/c it's Vizquel but more because our initial free agent splash isnt a big one.

Were this an additional move announced in conjunction with a trade for Adrian Gonzalez for spects, i'm sure everyone would be loving it.

Like Orlando Pace being a great signing right after the Cutler trade. Had Pace been the only move of the offseason...i wonder what the response wouldve been.

Which is a ridiculous way of looking at things and exactly why I said earlier in the thread that KW will catch s*** for this move. It's hard to improve your bench or add depth to your bullpen early in the offseason because fans are largely impatient and prone to knee jerk reactions. If this is the only move he makes between now and Spring Training then yeah, you can get pissed but free agency started like 3 days ago -- we haven't even gotten to the winter meetings -- at this point in the '05/'06 offseason we hadn't even acquired Thome yet and that's about the earliest you're going to see a big trade made.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)

That Pace move hasnt worked out so well...

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)

What if that conjuction included Lexi in a trade for AG?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
Which is a ridiculous way of looking at things and exactly why I said earlier in the thread that KW will catch s*** for this move. It's hard to improve your bench or add depth to your bullpen early in the offseason because fans are largely impatient and prone to knee jerk reactions. If this is the only move he makes between now and Spring Training then yeah, you can get pissed but free agency started like 3 days ago -- we haven't even gotten to the winter meetings -- at this point in the '05/'06 offseason we hadn't even acquired Thome yet and that's about the earliest you're going to see a big trade made.

Can you blame people for being upset with all of the big trades and free agency signings that have been going on all over the place? Oh, wait...

Now we should leave Beckham at third, Omar at ss, Lexi at second and Teahen our do everything reserve.

Omar plays for us one year then the following year we get another vet ss.

It makes perfect sense. Teahen is not the answer at 3B, but he is a great great utility guy.

Cmon Sox, do the right thing. Lexi should be our second baseman for the next 10 years. Gordon is great at third.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
What if that conjuction included Lexi in a trade for AG?

If the White Sox are going to trade a shortstop for Gonzalez, it's not going to be Ramirez. Even considering how much Ramirez means to the Sox, because they aren't going to find a SS who has near the capability of becoming a great player at the SS position at that price, Ramirez is older than Adrian Gonzalez. Why would the Padres have any real interest in Ramirez?

I'm sure what the Sox were trying to do when they were going to trade Konerko to the Angels was to get Brandon Wood or a similar type of prospect who would interest the Padres. If the Sox offer Hudson, Flowers, Danks2, and Wood, there is a possibility the Padres bite at that offer.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
Now we should leave Beckham at third, Omar at ss, Lexi at second and Teahen our do everything reserve.

It makes perfect sense. Teahen is not the answer at 3B, but he is a great great utility guy.

Cmon Sox, do the right thing. Lexi should be our second baseman for the next 10 years. Gordon is great at third.

Uh... no on everything.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)

It actually makes no sense as Omar Vizquel has no business getting more than ~200 PA over the course of a full season coming off the bench seeing as how he's one of the worst offensive players in the game and completely incapable of holding up over a full season's worth of PA's.

And your definition of the word "great" is just appalling.

I started to type a rebuttal to this post. But I'm literally at a loss for words.

With three very small moves, Williams has upgraded both the White Sox infield offense and the defense off of the bench too, and it seems to me that they are looking much better all-around already. Teahen is an improvement over Getz/Nix offensively and if he can put up anything similar to either his 2009 or 2007 season, Sox fans should be happy. Now you bring in a player in Vizquel who is fundamentally fantastic, plays fantastic defense, and isn't going to embarrass himself as a hitter so long as it's off of the bench, and Kotsay is just fine off of the bench as a 1B/OF type, so long as he remains in the corner outfield spots and doesn't start too much. He can also pinch run for Konerko or whoever else late in games, and that may buy the Sox an extra couple runs throughout the entirety of a season.

I have absolutely no problems with what Williams has done at all this offseason.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)

Umm, green?

Gross. I just threw up a little in my mouth looking at that. Vizquel is definitely NOT a full time hitter.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
With three very small moves, Williams has upgraded both the White Sox infield offense and the defense off of the bench too, and it seems to me that they are looking much better all-around already. Teahen is an improvement over Getz/Nix offensively and if he can put up anything similar to either his 2009 or 2007 season, Sox fans should be happy. Now you bring in a player in Vizquel who is fundamentally fantastic, plays fantastic defense, and isn't going to embarrass himself as a hitter so long as it's off of the bench, and Kotsay is just fine off of the bench as a 1B/OF type, so long as he remains in the corner outfield spots and doesn't start too much. He can also pinch run for Konerko or whoever else late in games, and that may buy the Sox an extra couple runs throughout the entirety of a season.

I have absolutely no problems with what Williams has done at all this offseason.

Yeup, slowly but surely upgrading this team. Obviously he's still got a lot of work to do but he's off to a good start.

Alexei might not be as good of a ss as Omar at present... but if he stays at the level he was 2nd half last year.... then he's fine defensively.

Meanwhile, your solution proposes that we'd rather have the marginal increase in ss defense over the LH power Teahan brings at 3rd.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)

Agree on a couple conditions, which knowing Williams, I assume is in the works somehow. They definitely need at least 1 power hitter, preferably from the left side. Matsui would be a great choice for DH in my opinion, but they would still need some sort of power in RF. The last condition is some bullpen help. These 2 are definite musts in my opinion in order to compete next year. KW definitely must see the same things we have been clamoring for in his additions of defense and his alleged inquiry into Adrian Gonzalez.