Official: Omar Vizquel Signs with Sox

AWhiteSoxinNJ

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
The irony that your soxtalk handle is "Kenny Hates Prospects" yet the fact that you like Vizquel coming to the Sox just made my head explode.

Omar isn't much of a hitter anymore but he can still play SS better than Jayson Nix. Plus he'll be a great guy to keep in the clubhouse and hopefully another IF instructor as well. Great, smart move by Kenny.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)
Omar isn't much of a hitter anymore but he can still play SS better than Jayson Nix. Plus he'll be a great guy to keep in the clubhouse and hopefully another IF instructor as well. Great, smart move by Kenny.

Just have to make sure we don't play him too much.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
Or maybe KW has a trade in place where either NIx or Alexei are on their way out.

Or maybe Paulie (praying) and Vizquel is also going to help fill the veteran leadership role?

Nix I think will be traded because he's not getting 2B back and this is a sign that they don't think he can handle SS either. Retherford is already an option at backup for 2B and 3B, so Nix is out of the picture now IMO. But Alexei is here to stay.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
This is just an awful signing if it happens. The "teaching our guys" argument is just another way to say "there is no use for him."

Seriously people, Alexei is 27, just about at any defensive "peak" he has. Awful signing, you can't convince me otherwise.

Seems like a waste of money if you ask me. Sign him as a bench coach and use the salary towards bullpen help.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
This is just an awful signing if it happens. The "teaching our guys" argument is just another way to say "there is no use for him."

Seriously people, Alexei is 27, just about at any defensive "peak" he has. Awful signing, you can't convince me otherwise.

You offer no real reason as to why you wouldn't like the deal.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Seems like a waste of money if you ask me. Sign him as a bench coach and use the salary towards bullpen help.

I guess it comes down to whether people feel he's better than Nix at backing up the infield...I doubt this deal would be for any significant type of money.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)

Yeah I know, when players hit Alexei's age it becomes difficult for them to stop making mental mistakes. Helpful advice becomes both completely unnecessary and an expensive waste of time.