Official: Omar Vizquel Signs with Sox

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (WCSox @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
Meh, I guess this sort of makes sense with Vizquel being a utility guy and a "fielding coach" to Alexei. As long as they don't pay him much over the league minimum.

But, man, I just don't see the logic in dumping both Nix AND Getz this off-season and replacing them with "meh" players who aren't going to get any better. Nix and Getz both have nice skill sets (albeit very different ones), and I thought that one of them could've been a nice long-term option for us. Kenny *could* keep Nix as an extra bench guy, but I'm not sure that's going to happen if Flowers is in the mix.

With Ramirez at SS and Beckham at 2B, where do you envision Nix and Getz fitting in long-term?

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Saufley @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
Getz is in KC. Remember the Teahan trade?

Yeah, I know this. Read what I quoted (see the bolded part). I'm asking had we kept Getz, where would he (and Nix) fit into the picture long-term. With Ramirez and Beckham locked in at SS and 2B, I would see Getz (if he were still around) and Nix as nothing more than bench players for us.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
With Ramirez at SS and Beckham at 2B, where do you envision Nix and Getz fitting in long-term?

I would've seen Nix as a utility infielder, and possibly somebody who could play a corner OF position. With Vizquel and Kotsay, that's probably not going to happen now.

I thought that Getz would've gotten the starting 2B gig, prior to his trade to KC.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
I like the move as long as he doesn't play more than 20 games.

1 year deal, if CJ doesn't get moved he plays a year in AAA and is your backup IF next year?

20 games? Um, he probably plays in 60-80 games, when you include the PH and late inning replacement games.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 02:28 PM)
I would've seen Nix as a utility infielder, and possibly somebody who could play a corner OF position. With Vizquel and Kotsay, that's probably not going to happen now.

I thought that Getz would've gotten the starting 2B gig, prior to his trade to KC.

Kinda hard to be a utility player if you are brutal at SS & 3B.

Source: White Sox, Vizquel near deal By Bruce Levine

ESPNChicago.com

Archive

The Chicago White Sox are in negotiations with Omar Vizquel's agents, Arn Tellem and Tom Reich, to sign the shortstop for the 2010 season, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. The source said a deal is close to being done.

Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com first reported the White Sox were close to signing Vizquel.

Vizquel would back up Alexei Ramirez at shortstop and Gordon Beckham at second.

The White Sox tried to sign Vizquel before the 2005 season, when they offered him a long-term contract. But he opted to sign a four-year deal with the San Francisco Giants.

Vizquel played with the Texas Rangers in 2009.

The 42-year-old Venezuelan has long been a favorite of fellow Venezuelan and current manager Ozzie Guillen.

Bruce Levine covers baseball for ESPNChicago.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news...ce=MLBHeadlines

I like this move actually.

What would everyone think about picking up a Ryan Garko to be our right handed bat off the bench. He could play a bit at 1st, be an emergency catcher, and DH. He actually could be a real good compliment to someone like Thome.

Career .887 OPS vs lefties and he's likely to get non-tendered.

I'm in the camp saying that I'd lke to know what else that $1M could have gone towards.

Nonetheless, we dont know for sure that JR is unwilling to spend. So just like Rios, you cant knock it til you see the final product they have for us.

And, much like that move, you cant argue with a move aimed at shaving some brutality off our 2010 late inning defense.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
Kenny Williams is going to catch some s*** for this signing from fans prone to knee jerk reactions but this would be a very good move, as would Henry Blanco (hopefully he gets that done as well) regardless of their age or a lack of sexiness in such a move.

Well, no one else has done anything yet in free agency, so I guess if we signed him soon, we would be the "most improved" team so far

:headbang

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
What would everyone think about picking up a Ryan Garko to be our right handed bat off the bench. He could play a bit at 1st, be an emergency catcher, and DH. He actually could be a real good compliment to someone like Thome.

Career .887 OPS vs lefties and he's likely to get non-tendered.

What would the Giants want? I believe he's arb eligible now. He'll still be pretty dirt cheap, even if he gets a substantial raise.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
I'm in the camp saying that I'd lke to know what else that $1M could have gone towards.

Nonetheless, we dont know for sure that JR is unwilling to spend. So just like Rios, you cant knock it til you see the final product they have for us.

And, much like that move, you cant argue with a move aimed at shaving some brutality off our 2010 late inning defense.

It would have gone towards a backup infielder who can give you good defense at short, since there is no in house option. The $1M to $1.5M given to Vizquel will not keep the Sox from acquiring a player they like. They're not going to walk away from a failed negotiation wishing they had that $1M back.