What instrument do you play?

Texsox

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried to learn the guitar about 10 years ago...had a Fender Jag-Stang (a guitar Kurt Cobain designed with Fender), but could never play it for s***. My mom gave it to my cousin without me knowing, who has since gone on to play in many bands. So I guess I'm not too upset...at least the thing was getting played...

I have a heck of a set of pipes on me though...;)

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
Played euphonium (baritone horn) in school and can still play fair to middling.

Me too! :cheers

I bought one a few years ago as a reminisce because I had a school horn when I played and never owned one. I realized then how long ago high school really was.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
Me too! :cheers

I bought one a few years ago as a reminisce because I had a school horn when I played and never owned one. I realized then how long ago high school really was.

Could you read bass cleff? As a converted trumpet player I could only read treble cleff, so either a chart had to already be transposed or I had to rewrite them in treble. Only had to do that a couple times.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
Could you read bass cleff? As a converted trumpet player I could only read treble cleff, so either a chart had to already be transposed or I had to rewrite them in treble. Only had to do that a couple times.

I learned it as bass clef.

Sometimes I had to transpose treble into bass if there was no bass.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
Guitar primarily. Played trumpet and euphonium (baritone horn) in school and can still play fair to middling. Passable bass, and remedial fiddle and 5 string banjo.

You play enough instruments you coulda been in the Moody Blues.

I played drums when I was a kid in grade school. When I was 16 (1966) me and some neighborhood kids formed a garage band which was all the rage at the time. After wanting to call ourselves The Lemon Freeze we opted for a short name like our favorite band (Love) and we called ourselves The. We weren't any good, but it made for the best summer ever.

I haven't played much for the last 8-10 years, sadly. Had to stop playing out once two young kids got too be too much of a handful to leave my wife with a couple times a week. Past college I did almost no playing with full bands other than one-shot deals at parties and such. Played much more consistently in a couple of acoustic duo settings and for about a four year stretch we played 1 or 2 bar gigs a week. Lots of fun, and I miss it quite a bit.

Our sound was always "refreshingly under-rehearsed," but it would have been way to much effort to do any better than that. The guy I mainly played with was an older guy and was a professional musician in DC for 20 years before he got sick of it and went back to school where I met him. Amazing player, and I quite enjoyed riding on his coattails. :lolhitting

Giving up guitar in 7th grade after like 3 months is one of my regrets in life. Though, I didn't really want to learn, so that never really works. My brother was taking lessons (and pretty darn good guitar player), so I kind of went along with it, but stopped caring.

Anyway, I've been told by lots of people I have a really good voice, so I always wish I knew how to play the guitar cause that would be a nice combo - being able to sing and play an instrument.

Played piano from very young through college, trombone/bass trombone from very young through college as well. Used to be able to play any bass cleff brass instrument at least passably. I've gotten to play on the same stage as some big names in jazz and classical - very fortunate.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)

Playing lead trombone in orchestras, I had to be able to read bass, treble, tenor and alto cleffs. Always hated that crap. Damn Mozart.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
Played piano from very young through college, trombone/bass trombone from very young through college as well. Used to be able to play any bass cleff brass instrument at least passably. I've gotten to play on the same stage as some big names in jazz and classical - very fortunate.

Playing lead trombone in orchestras, I had to be able to read bass, treble, tenor and alto cleffs. Always hated that crap. Damn Mozart.

Very cool! Do you do any community band playing or anything to keep your chops up?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
Sadly, no, I haven't picked up a horn in years. I hope to pick it back up again later, maybe when my kid(s) start learning an instrument.

That's where I am now. My daughter just started playing trumpet this year, so I cleaned and oiled my old trumpet for her to use and then dug out an ancient cornet that I've had since I was about 12 and cleaned it up to start brushing up on myself in anticipation of playing with the kid.