2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 12:15 AM)
No it's not. The bullpen is slightly more influential than pinch hitting. The Cubs pen has already cost them a number of games/opportunities. There would be no point in moving a SP to the pen who couldn't be a good RP. Add to it that Zambrano has completely sucked in the rotation and everyone else has been great makes it that more obvious. This situation is funny to me, and a complete f***-up by Hendry, but this absolutely the correct move, imo.

And at no point did Lou say this was permanent. I'm sure it's just an experiment. I think it's worth a shot. A slightly above NL league average starter, which is pretty much what Zambrano has been the last 2+ years, or a potential dynamite set-up man to get the ball to Marmol? I say go for it. The money he's making doesn't matter. He gets that regardless. Of course, if Carlos Silva and Tom Gorzelanny go back to being Carlos Silva and Tom Gorzelanny, they'll have to move him back to the rotation. But outside of the Phillies, Cardinals and the NL west, the NL is so bad they might be able to get away with having those two bums in the rotation all year.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to jump in before all the good hyperbolic (But very true) statements are taken. Here we go, this might be the single most illogical baseball move I have ever seen. What the Cubs have done is shown panic on a level that was (heretofore) unparalleled, and they have effectively nullified any credibility they had left as a competitive organization. Small sample sizes be damned, you don't take you're #1 starter, traditionally slow going in April and boot him to the pen for Carlos Silva. There is no defending this move.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 12:15 AM)
No it's not. The bullpen is slightly more influential than pinch hitting. The Cubs pen has already cost them a number of games/opportunities.

Yes, but Zambrano is not going to fix the entire bullpen. He's going to pitch 1 or 2 innings per appearance. And then it will take a while to stretch him back out when they inevitably need him back in the starting rotation. He was fine in his last start - 6 innings, 2 runs. You do not take a good starter and halve his innings. That is not a good baseball move.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

The Cubs early season schedule is so easy, I think they freaked out that if they fall far back of STL now, theres no chance to come back when it gets tough. After the opening series vs. the Braves, they don't play another team with serious playoff aspirations until May 17.

Seriously, unless Cy Silva battles Lincecum & Roy for the award and Gorzelanny becomes at least Ted Lilly 2, this is such a dumb move. Thats even if Z becomes the best set up guy in the league.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
Yes, but Zambrano is not going to fix the entire bullpen. He's going to pitch 1 or 2 innings per appearance. And then it will take a while to stretch him back out when they inevitably need him back in the starting rotation. He was fine in his last start - 6 innings, 2 runs. You do not take a good starter and halve his innings. That is not a good baseball move.

I think he threw 122 pitches in those 6 innings. He might be better as a closer. I would think this move is only temporary. It seems like Lou is pushing the panic button. To me that's like the Sox puttin Peavy in the pen.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
The odd thing about this move is if it was for the good of the team Wells or Dempster would be moved to the pen. This is just odd to me.

Why would you move guys who have been good at going 6+ innings to the pen for the good of the team? The point of moving Zambrano is to motivate him, get him back on track, improve the bullpen, and, in the very, very short-term, improve the rotation.

Moving Wells or Dempster to the bullpen would be like moving Danks to the bullpen.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
Why would you move guys who have been good at going 6+ innings to the pen for the good of the team? The point of moving Zambrano is to motivate him, get him back on track, improve the bullpen, and, in the very, very short-term, improve the rotation.

Moving Wells or Dempster to the bullpen would be like moving Danks to the bullpen.

Not to mention Dempster has already failed as a RP, and Zambrano is the only SP with reliever stuff.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 01:11 AM)
Not to mention Dempster has already failed as a RP, and Zambrano is the only SP with reliever stuff.

He has a 4.48 career ERA as a starter and a 4.11 career ERA as a Reliever. He has a .686 OPS against him as a reliever and .767 against him as a starter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)
He has a 4.48 career ERA as a starter and a 4.11 career ERA as a Reliever. He has a .686 OPS against him as a reliever and .767 against him as a starter.

It's always good to make moves today based on things that happened 5-10 years ago.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 12:11 AM)

In 06 he definitely sucked it up, but in 05 he was 33 for 35 in saves, and in 07 he was 28 for 31. I don't know if I would call that a failure.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 10:59 AM)
In 06 he definitely sucked it up, but in 05 he was 33 for 35 in saves, and in 07 he was 28 for 31. I don't know if I would call that a failure.

He was 3-16, with ERAs and WHIPs of 4.80/1.51 and 4.72/1.34 in his last 2 seasons as a RP. That's pretty awful to me.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 11:25 AM)
He was 3-16, with ERAs and WHIPs of 4.80/1.51 and 4.72/1.34 in his last 2 seasons as a RP. That's pretty awful to me.

Seriously. And in his "good" seasons as a reliever (04-05...3.28 ERA over 112.2 IP), his WHIP has been 1.43. That's pretty terrible for a reliever, and considering his K/9 was under 9 during that time, it proves that it was unsustainable.