2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
Really?

See my post right above this. I will also say that anyone that didn't live in Chicago at that time wouldn't grasp the horrible situation that it was. For example, the night of Game 6, I was in a Master's class taking a 3 hour exam. My prof was a Cubs fan, and put the gametracker up during the test. Nothing like having kids in the class starting cheering for every Marlins out, etc. when you're trying to focus.

Edited by fathom

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
See my post right above this. I will also say that anyone that didn't live in Chicago at that time wouldn't grasp the horrible situation that it was. For example, the night of Game 6, I was in a Master's class taking a 3 hour exam. My prof was a Cubs fan, and put the gametracker up during the test. Nothing like having kids in the class starting cheering for every Marlins out, etc. when you're trying to focus.

That's f***ing stupid. As a professor, you have to be a bit more professional than that during a test.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ May 5, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
Starlin Castro watch:

AA - 101 AB, .356/.407/.545

Still not sold on him, but man has he improved his walk rate. Might be one of the rare times a Cubs prospect proves me wrong, but we'll see when he hits AAA and the bigs also.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)

I was down in Champaign that year. The entire campus was covered in Cubs gear that I had never seen any of these people wear in the previous 3 years I had been there. It was like, since when did all these people even watch baseball, let alone become Cubs fans????

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
Hate to admit it. But Castro looks like a player.

Pretty impressive what he's accomplished over the past year as a 19-20 year old in the Fall League, ST, and now AA. Kid's hit like .380 over that span. All the meanwhile, developing physically (+20 lbs). Talk about prospect development. Almost too good to be true.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
Pretty impressive what he's accomplished over the past year as a 19-20 year old in the Fall League, ST, and now AA. Kid's hit like .380 over that span. All the meanwhile, developing physically (+20 lbs). Talk about prospect development. Almost too good to be true.

Yup. You know what they say about blind squirrels and nuts. Looks like the Cubs might've actually found theirs.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ May 5, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
He then told reporters a couple of months later he had never said that. And if he did, it was to take some pressure off of Bartman

Well he pees on himself.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
Yes, relieving in terms of not having to deal with the awfulness that was surrounding the Chicagoland area during that playoff season. I would never say that the White Sox winning in 2005 was relieving. That was more thrilling and satisfying. And if the Cubs won it in 2003, the 2005 WS wouldn't have been nearly as special in Chicago.

You are 100% correct.

When they beat the Braves, that was the first baseball series to be won in this city in 90 years. 2005 would have been an afterthought if the cibs even made it to the World Series in 2003.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 6, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
Getting swept by philly and getting swept by the pirates are vastly different

They didn't get swept by Philly and not comparing the Phillies and Pirates. WOuld of been nice if they could of picked up another game or two.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 6, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
They didn't get swept by Philly and not comparing the Phillies and Pirates. WOuld of been nice if they could of picked up another game or two.

It's not going to matter at the end of the year when the Cards win the division by 10+ games. There is no one in that division who can compete with them barring an injury to Pujols or Holliday.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 6, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
It's not going to matter at the end of the year when the Cards win the division by 10+ games. There is no one in that division who can compete with them barring an injury to Pujols or Holliday.

This.

And with Brad Penny's FB somehow topping out at 97 MPH and the emergence of Jaime Garcia, they're basically the Giants with an elite offense. The Phillies and Cardinals are head and shoulders above anybody in the NL.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ May 7, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
http://twitter.com/Enrique_Rojas1/status/13549863110

Starlin Castro called up supposedly

Interesting. Theriot is actually hitting the ball very well and Fontenot has been OK, almost at .300. Maybe they can put the kid at 3rd to replace Aramis and his .259 slugging %.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 7, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
won't matter, only way the Cards don't absolutely run away with this division is a major injury or two

Its amazing how good they are with players like Brendan Ryan & Skip Schumaker getting at-bats everyday. That Colby Rasmus is becoming a heckuva ball player though.