2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

This is such a short-sighted move by the Cubs. Do they really buy into Silva's start so far, with the fact he's faced the Astros and Reds? As a Cubs hater, I love this move. I also think this signifies the beginning of the end of the Zambrano era in Chicago. Watch him get traded for Javy Vazquez.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
This is such a short-sighted move by the Cubs. Do they really buy into Silva's start so far, with the fact he's faced the Astros and Reds? As a Cubs hater, I love this move. I also think this signifies the beginning of the end of the Zambrano era in Chicago. Watch him get traded for Javy Vazquez.

I'll take him if they pay his salary and put him in our 5th starter spot. They wont find anyone to take that salary, unless they trade for someone like, oh I dont know, Milton Bradley

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
I'll take him if they pay his salary and put him in our 5th starter spot. They wont find anyone to take that salary, unless they trade for someone like, oh I dont know, Milton Bradley

Yeah, I would take him too if they paid $10M or so. I know he is a Sox fan, and has said multiple times he would like to play here before his career is over.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
By average annual value:

1 Mariano Rivera, $15,000,000

2 Brad Lidge, $12,500,000

3 Francisco Rodriguez, $12,333,333

4 Joe Nathan, $11,750,000

5 Francisco Cordero, $11,500,000

Those are all closers too. Z is gonna be an $18 million set up guy. We have the best set up guy in the league, Thontons gonna be able to hold out for over $20 milion

QUOTE (whitem0nkey @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
the only thing that I can think of is they want Z to waive his no trade clause.

apparently he OK'd it, and honestly, who is trading for this guy unless the Cubs are picking up a vast majority of his contract? Maybe, maybe, maybe the Mets

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Awesome. He ought to go insane down there.

The interesting thing is that it could actually turn out better for the team if he can keep his head in it. He can go full out now, and not have to worry about throwing 125 pitches. That pen is so awful, he can't do any worse. Plus Lillly can step in and do better as a starter.

that might be a problem, when he's going good he has wide variety of pitches working, but one of his big pitches is a good sinking fastball, usually being amped up makes that stay straight.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
that might be a problem, when he's going good he has wide variety of pitches working, but one of his big pitches is a good sinking fastball, usually being amped up makes that stay straight.

Absolutely true, great point

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
Absolutely true, great point

we will see, the guy has a ton of talent, so I would never be surprised i any role if he is a top talent in the MLB, he just has trouble putting it together... with that said, he has 16 out of 28 quality starts last year, I think that's more valuable than a very good 8th inning guy

QUOTE (whitem0nkey @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
the only thing that I can think of is they want Z to waive his no trade clause.

That could be a wise move by the Cubs but I am guessing Z will be fine packing it in for the Cubs and not caring. His quote that it "isn't a contract year for him" makes me think he will take the next two years off and collect his checks in the bullpen.

I think all the high paid Cubs players have no respect for the team/fans, etc. even Soriano (who despite his performance has generally been a good guy) is starting to get pissed off about criticism and not talking to the media. I put most of it on Pinella because I think he doesn't care at all, the Cubs offered him huge money and he is just laughing to the bank, he lost his fire long ago but he will put on a little show for the fans if they get into a bad losing streak to collect his checks.

This is a pretty crazy move though, I bet in a month he will be back in the rotation when Silva turns back into Silva.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 06:38 PM)
A Cubs fan told me that Zambrano's worst inning is usually the first inning he pitches. Nice.

Last year Zambrano held hitters to a .152/.288/.250/.538 line w/ 0 HR in the first inning of games. Far and away his best inning. For his career his first inning line is .207/.313/.319/.633, once again his best inning. Typically the first is a starter's strongest inning. This also means next to nothing when you try to make correlate the numbers to success as a reliever as the first is generally the inning with the least pressure.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 07:55 PM)
Last year Zambrano held hitters to a .152/.288/.250/.538 line w/ 0 HR in the first inning of games. Far and away his best inning. For his career his first inning line is .207/.313/.319/.633, once again his best inning. Typically the first is a starters strongest inning.

Said Cubs fan is fail, then.

I love it...this is one of those baseball moves that is just pure idiocy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)

I'd take him too, but only if they paid for his medication.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)

It's probably not be a long-term move anyways. Zambrano can be dominant reliever. Silva can not be. Of the choices, moving Zambrano was the correct one until Silva starts sucking again or Hendry can acquire some relief help.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
It's probably not be a long-term move anyways. Zambrano can be dominant reliever. Silva can not be. Of the choices, moving Zambrano was the correct one until Silva starts sucking again or Hendry can acquire some relief help.

Of the choices, it's best not to relegate your first or second-best pitcher to a part-time role. It's like a national league team relegating their number 3 hitter to the bench because they were struggling in pinch-hit situations.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)
Of the choices, it's best not to relegate your first or second-best pitcher to a part-time role. It's like a national league team relegating their number 3 hitter to the bench because they were struggling in pinch-hit situations.

No it's not. The bullpen is slightly more influential than pinch hitting. The Cubs pen has already cost them a number of games/opportunities. There would be no point in moving a SP to the pen who couldn't be a good RP. Add to it that Zambrano has completely sucked in the rotation and everyone else has been great makes it that more obvious. This situation is funny to me, and a complete f***-up by Hendry, but this absolutely the correct move, imo.