Leno going back to Late Night

Brian

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
Well Leno was the lead for the local news which has been killing local affiliates. That couldn't help Conan.

From what i read, ever since Leno moved to 9 central, all the local news affiliates reported MUCH lower news ratings.

Whatever executive decided to retain Leno should be fired.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 03:04 AM)
http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/08/conan-obrien...c-tonight-show/

So what should Conan do take the 12am-1 slot or go to ABC or Fox?

I'd jump to ABC if I were Conan. NBC is a sinking ship.

The only question is if Conan wants to go through the work of doing a whole new show again, at another location. I doubt that. A push back of 320 minutes is much easier.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 07:15 AM)
+1

I never ever thought Leno was funny...Conan is too out there for the geezers.

I think both are awful. Leno is too old and Conan is too energetic. I don't care to watch a spastic, ADD suffering, 45 year old prance around the set like he's 12. I'd rather watch the Daily Show or Colbert Report than any of the late night shows.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
This is an absolute b**** move by NBC and Leno. If i was Conan i'd try to take my money and run.

I am curious as to what Conan's contract looks like. Are their out clauses by NBC? My guess is that if he chooses to quit, he looses all his money and there is a "no compete" clause that bans him from joining other networks for a period of time (6 months-year, or the life of his NBC contract)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 10:43 AM)
I am curious as to what Conan's contract looks like. Are their out clauses by NBC? My guess is that if he chooses to quit, he looses all his money and there is a "no compete" clause that bans him from joining other networks for a period of time (6 months-year, or the life of his NBC contract)

I can't imagine he'd have signed a contract like that which didn't guarantee him the 11:30 spot. The whole reason why he got that show in the first place was NBC knew that he had enough bargaining power that he could have left for another network if they didn't give him the Tonight Show.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
Sounds like if Conan wants to leave, NBC will allow it without question. Hopefully Conan is talking to other networks now. I think Fox would be a good fit at 10pm.

The news is on at 10 on Fox. 11pm makes more sense.

According to the Daily News, NBC is giving Conan the choice. But here's what's interesting:

Should Conan stay, his show will be an hour, and Leno will get only a half-hour slot. But if Conan kicks NBC to the curb, viewers will get a full 60 minutes of "Jaywalking" and Leno's other signature shtick.

Linky

If Conan stays, when would his show even be? 12 rather than 12:30? That might not be a bad slot actually. But does that officially kill the Tonight Show?

Edited by G&T

Good for you CoCo!

Just call him Conan O'Flyin'

The "Tonight Show" host feels like the redheaded stepchild of late-night TV after NBC's abrupt decision to cancel Jay Leno's 10 p.m. experiment after just five months -- and return the car-loving comic to O'Brien's coveted 11:35 p.m. slot.

"This level of sh- - -iness was not expected," one source said.

"He's done a great job for NBC. He moved his entire staff, he moved his family to LA. And five months later, they repay him like this?"

As it stands now, the source said, "Conan would be happier somewhere else."

The pompadoured host has "many options," including a move to Fox, which for years has been looking to create its own late-night show.

In fact, he has already spoken with Fox, The Wall Street Journal's Web site reported last night.

Conan, an insider said, "may not be operating on their timetable. He's not going to be stampeded. This came out of the blue, and it will take him a while to figure out what's best for him."

O'Brien rep Leslee Dart last night said only that "Conan has made no decisions yet."

The real-life soap opera involving NBC's late-night personalities has been comic gold for others in the business.

NBC's "Saturday Night Live" poked fun at the suits at 30 Rock during Seth Meyer's "Weekend Update" segment.

"It was reported Thursday that in the wake of poor ratings for 'The Jay Leno Show,' NBC will move his show back to the 11:35 time slot, and then start Conan O'Brien's 'Tonight Show' at midnight -- though it's a little weird to start 'The Tonight Show' at a time when it's no longer 'tonight,' " Meyers said.