Leno going back to Late Night

Brian

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
You think Dave isn't still bitter about getting screwed out of the Tonight Show in the first place? I would be.

If he is still bitter about something that happened 18 years ago, he needs to get a life.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Unless another station throws him in an old studio, it'll take some time to get new studios build. I dont think they'd want to launch a new show in a old, beat up studio. So, they'd want some time to renovate.

Anyone know how big the old Springer Studio is? I think it's currently vacant.

Not nearly big enough.

Conan's contract is significantly large enough that NBC is going to have to do something to make Conan happy... if not Conan could just sit on the beach for the next four years and milk the network out of 80 million dollars.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
Except that was his dream job. A lot of people would never get over getting screwed out of their dream.

He's doing a Late Night show at 10:30 and making buckets of money. He needs to get over it if he is bitter.

Not too mention NBC made the right decision since Leno consistently beat Letterman ratings wise.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)
It's amazing how fast this thing escalated. I think Conan is well in his right to be royally pissed off. Leno has a history of doing backhanded things like this, and NBC has mismanaged both sides.

Even though I think Letterman sucks, I really hope he beats Leno in the ratings when Leno returns to doing The Tonight Show. It would be hilarious and typical of NBC's f ups as a network.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 07:33 PM)
Even though I think Letterman sucks, I really hope he beats Leno in the ratings when Leno returns to doing The Tonight Show. It would be hilarious and typical of NBC's f ups as a network.

I really hope Conan beats Leno's ratings personally. I'm hoping Fox allows him to use the masturbating bear and stuff at 10. Assuming he goes there which looks like is going to happen.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)

I can see Leno's ratings take somewhat of a hit due to people intentionally avoiding it because of this. I'm sure a lot of people watched Leno (or at least parts of it) before Conan came on, and I bet a good deal of those people will be sure to catch absolutely none of Leno.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 07:27 PM)
Conan's monologues are probably going to be classic until he goes off the air. The one last night was outstanding. Leno and Letterman both suck it is a shame Conan gets screwed but at least he is still getting paid.

I just watched it, so much jabs at NBC I couldn't stop laughing.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)
So, is it effective immediately for Conan, or will it wait until the Olympics?

I have a feeling if Conan keeps saying the s*** he's been saying, and NBC-paid celebrities keep coming on to be on Conan's side, well, they'll have to shut him down.

Idiots.

Jay Leno = satan now.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 08:24 PM)
He's doing a Late Night show at 10:30 and making buckets of money. He needs to get over it if he is bitter.

Not too mention NBC made the right decision since Leno consistently beat Letterman ratings wise.

It's worth noting why Leno consistently beat Letterman in the ratings. For pretty much the full decade after they each started their new shows...Leno had VASTLY better lead-ins. He was on the number 1 network with Seinfeld, Friends, ER, Frasier, etc., leading into him. CBS was a disaster area in the 90's. Letterman was actually one of their most valuable pieces. Plus, Leno already had a built-in advantage; he was taking over the Tonight Show, a well-known and historic brand, while Letterman was an upstart with a new show. Leno was able to build a long-term audience because of these advantages and held onto it while CBS took over. The difference now though is that Leno's audience has aged with him; the only thing older and whiter is the Fox News audience.

Hind sight is 20/20, so any argument against dumping Leno and moving Conan into the Tonight Show slot is pointless.

You could not have anticipated the Tonight Show ratings going so low so fast. Leno and Carson were, in many ways, different. Maybe those who have seen more of Carson can correct me on this, but from what little I have seen of Carson, Conan seems more like Carson then Leno. So, the fact the Leno held the tonight show so strong still surprises me and I fully expected the Tonight Show ratings to get BETTER with a younger person in there. However, the grey haired people all left for Letterman.