Leno going back to Late Night

Brian

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Conan's next gig should necessarily be a talk show. His interviewing skills are still not so great. He's witty enough that he can make interviews funny with the right guests. I always thought his 'on location' bits were the best, like the old time baseball, a recent one where he worked at Best Buy, and of course when he went to Finland. A show maybe not airing every night where he would get to focus more on his writing and creativity rather than preparing for interviews might suit him better

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 10:52 PM)
I don't think Conan's next gig should necessarily be a talk show. His interviewing skills are still not so great. He's witty enough that he can make interviews funny with the right guests. I always thought his 'on location' bits were the best, like the old time baseball, a recent one where he worked at Best Buy, and of course when he went to Finland. A show maybe not airing every night where he would get to focus more on his writing and creativity rather than preparing for interviews might suit him better

Conan's an excellent interviewer he makes me laugh during the interviews, something that Leno can't quite do.

NBC to Pay $40 Million to Show Conan O'Brien the Door

Conan O'Brien is close to signing a nearly $40 million deal to walk away from his dream job hosting NBC's "The Tonight Show," bringing down the curtain on one of the entertainment industry's biggest debacles in years.

The comedian's exit agreement, which could be completed as early as Tuesday, bars Mr. O'Brien from bad-mouthing his former NBC bosses, according to people familiar with the matter, but paves the way for him to land another television gig within a year.

The expected departure ends a nearly two-week public spectacle that engulfed NBC, after the network tried to displace Mr. O'Brien.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)
If the contract bars him from criticizing NBC execs, then that "Incompetent fools" song he started last night with makes little sense.

he hasnt signed it yet. he can do anything he wants until that signature is on the paper. I'd wait until Thursday night to sign it.

There are a couple of things I'm wondering. Does this agreement also take care of the writers and staff of Conan's show? If not, I wonder if Conan will make some attempt to share that $40 million. And lastly, can Conan and Fox come to some sort of gentlemen's agreement where they can start building his next studio during this year hiatus instead of having to wait a year JUST to agree to eventually build it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
There are a couple of things I'm wondering. Does this agreement also take care of the writers and staff of Conan's show? If not, I wonder if Conan will make some attempt to share that $40 million. And lastly, can Conan and Fox come to some sort of gentlemen's agreement where they can start building his next studio during this year hiatus instead of having to wait a year JUST to agree to eventually build it.

NBC is handing out severence packages to his staff that will cost them 40M total

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
Someone suggested that Fox should give Conan a $1 salary so that NBC has to pay as much as possible.

I don't know what the language of the settlement is, but I can't imagine it will allow that to happen. If Conan gets another job it will be expected that he receives his market value, or takes a lower than market value offer in good faith. If he accepts a deliberately low ball number, NBC can sue and have their payments reduced by the FMV.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 06:36 AM)
I don't know what the language of the settlement is, but I can't imagine it will allow that to happen. If Conan gets another job it will be expected that he receives his market value, or takes a lower than market value offer in good faith. If he accepts a deliberately low ball number, NBC can sue and have their payments reduced by the FMV.

With as fast as this settlement was put together, it might well be possible that one of the 2 sides made a stupid mistake in the contracts.

NBC calls Conan O'Brien bid for severance for staff pure 'PR ploy'

It's nasty to the bitter end.

Conan O'Brien is fighting for cushy severance deals for his "Tonight Show" staff, but NBC says he's to blame that they're about to be unemployed.

The sticking point in Conan O'Brien's exit negotiations is just how much severance his crew gets. He is "dug in on that," said a source familiar with the talks.

NBC fired back: "It was Conan's decision to leave NBC that resulted in nearly 200 of his staffers being out of work."

"We have already agreed to pay millions of dollars to compensate every one of them. This latest posturing is nothing more than a PR ploy," the network said.

A spokesman for O'Brien declined to comment.

So far, negotiations have yielded a proposed deal that could pay O'Brien more than $30 million for leaving NBC and "The Tonight Show," allowing Jay Leno to return to late night from his soon-to-be canceled 10 p.m. EST show.

Meanwhile, O'Brien is preparing for what may be his last shows with some big-name guests: Tonight, it's funnyman Adam Sandler; tomorrow night, Robin Williams and singer Barry Manilow will appear, and the possible final show on Friday is to feature Tom Hanks and Will Ferrell.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
With as fast as this settlement was put together, it might well be possible that one of the 2 sides made a stupid mistake in the contracts.

Wouldn't matter. Good faith is an implied term.

Letterman has been getting dirty towards Leno with name calling and such the past week. I don't really think Letterman should have a say in all this since I never found him funny and his show always lost to Leno, but Jay bit back tonight.

“Letterman has been hammering me every night. Going after me… hey Kev, you know the best way to get Letterman to ignore you? Marry him. He will not bother you. He won’t look you in the eye.”