2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 07:21 AM)
Any info on that lower division of the AFL? Wasn't Thompson supposed to be playing in that?

I've been looking. I should send something to Gonzales on twitter. He has been covering it for both Chicago teams I think.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TomPickle @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
The Harball Times released their top 10 prospects for the White Sox.

They're less than enthused.

I sort of question their research. First, this about Flowers:

Flowers' swing looked long and slow this year. He still managed to generate good power and his fair share of walks, but his strikeout rate is cringe-worthy and his batting average won't pass, even at catcher. Which brings us to his defense at catcher. It's looking likely that he will have to be moved.

Apparently they haven't seen what we've heard from scouts and other people, that his defense is vastly improved, and that coaches named him best defensive catcher in the league.

Then Phegley:

Josh Phegley / C / It has been a very small sample size for Phegley since being drafted, but his power may turn out better than expected. His approach at the plate and behind it needs serious refinement, however.

Are they not aware of the reason for his absence? Because that reason pretty much keeps him out of any potential to be a Top 10 guy, even in this system.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)

Apparently they haven't seen what we've heard from scouts and other people, that his defense is vastly improved, and that coaches named him best defensive catcher in the league.

Then Phegley:

Are they not aware of the reason for his absence? Because that reason pretty much keeps him out of any potential to be a Top 10 guy, even in this system.

Yeah it seems they were kinda reaching on comments about a few people. Pretty poorly put together list IMO

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)

Then Phegley:

Wasn't that feedback from 2009 regarding his performance in the Southern League? I haven't read anything like that about his defense from this past season.

Also, I was most surprised about them calling Jared Mitchell an overdraft based on his tools. That doesn't make any sense to me.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
Wasn't that feedback from 2009 regarding his performance in the Southern League? I haven't read anything like that about his defense from this past season.

Also, I was most surprised about them calling Jared Mitchell an overdraft based on his tools. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Yeah that was odd as well. The list overall seems poorly researched.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
And Brent Morel's bat didn't improve either apparently

Yeah, seems bizarre, he was a guy that no one really expected anything big out of, and yet he did well in AA, mid-season promoted and did even better at AAA, and then made it to the majors, all in one season.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
:angry:

For the record, I am one of the voters for the FutureSox Top Prospect lists, and I haev tended to vote Morel higher than even others here. I like him a lot as a prospect. What I mean is, he wasn't some first round pick that was expected to skyrocket, and yet, that's basically what he did, so I am puzzled by the strange write-up context.

Orton gives Flowers high marks

06/19/10

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

WASHINGTON -- White Sox Minor League catching instructor John Orton will be filling in this weekend for bullpen catcher Mark Salas, who will miss the Nationals series to attend his daughter's college graduation.

Orton's presence also gave him the opportunity to evaluate Tyler Flowers, the club's top backstop prospect and heir apparent to A.J. Pierzynski. A .290 average with five home runs in his Past 10 games has raised Flowers average to .223, but Orton was more focused on Flowers' work behind the plate. In that area, the 24-year-old received good grades from his mentor.

"From day one, he has been a kid who wants to win and asks the right questions," Orton said. "He picks up things real quick. It's always been just a matter of adjustments. The things I've heard about him being more of an offensive player, which he probably will be, but I didn't know much about his defense. It has been outstanding.

"He's starting to look comfortable behind the plate. When you don't have to worry so much about what you are doing, then you can get into the calling the game and handling the pitching staff with all your concentration. He's been good doing that."

When Flowers first arrived, he was classified as a Major League-ready hitter with a significant road to travel defensively. That defense is no longer a worry for Flowers is a greater positive in Orton's mind than the concerns coming from his hitting woes.

"That's a good thing, not that he's struggling offensively," Orton said. "That first [full] year in Triple-A is tough for a lot of guys. You see a lot of guys that have been around pitching-wise and know how to pitch. They find out your holes and so you need to make an adjustment. It takes that learning curve at that level. He's going to be fine offensively.

"Defensively, we are real happy with what he's doing. He's definitely a Major League catcher. He has good hands, he blocks. He throws good enough. He's smart. He has a great personality. He's able to handle different pitchers. That's one thing I really like about him. He makes visits at the right time. He has a good feel."

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
Orton gives Flowers high marks

06/19/10

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

WASHINGTON -- White Sox Minor League catching instructor John Orton will be filling in this weekend for bullpen catcher Mark Salas, who will miss the Nationals series to attend his daughter's college graduation.

Orton's presence also gave him the opportunity to evaluate Tyler Flowers, the club's top backstop prospect and heir apparent to A.J. Pierzynski. A .290 average with five home runs in his Past 10 games has raised Flowers average to .223, but Orton was more focused on Flowers' work behind the plate. In that area, the 24-year-old received good grades from his mentor.

"From day one, he has been a kid who wants to win and asks the right questions," Orton said. "He picks up things real quick. It's always been just a matter of adjustments. The things I've heard about him being more of an offensive player, which he probably will be, but I didn't know much about his defense. It has been outstanding.

"He's starting to look comfortable behind the plate. When you don't have to worry so much about what you are doing, then you can get into the calling the game and handling the pitching staff with all your concentration. He's been good doing that."

When Flowers first arrived, he was classified as a Major League-ready hitter with a significant road to travel defensively. That defense is no longer a worry for Flowers is a greater positive in Orton's mind than the concerns coming from his hitting woes.

"That's a good thing, not that he's struggling offensively," Orton said. "That first [full] year in Triple-A is tough for a lot of guys. You see a lot of guys that have been around pitching-wise and know how to pitch. They find out your holes and so you need to make an adjustment. It takes that learning curve at that level. He's going to be fine offensively.

"Defensively, we are real happy with what he's doing. He's definitely a Major League catcher. He has good hands, he blocks. He throws good enough. He's smart. He has a great personality. He's able to handle different pitchers. That's one thing I really like about him. He makes visits at the right time. He has a good feel."

Alright!! Johnny O!

This guy is seriously one of Chase's most favorite guys EVER! I, unfortunately, did not get to meet him this past season :( He Left VA. the day I got there ..bummer. Maybe next season?!

I would like to also extend a big fat pat on the back to Flowers ..to have someone Chase looks up to so much, say such good things about you, gives you my vote 100% ...Good luck this coming season!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)
Josh Phegley had his spleen removed Nov. 5.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...en-surgery.html

Not sure how I missed this, but damn, he's had some troubles this year. Let's hope this gets the job done in allowing him to get healthy. Must be really frustrating for Phegley. A full, healthy season from him would be wonderful.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
Are any of the Sox prospects doing well in any of the winter leagues?

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/org.jsp?id=cws

No idea who Hector Santiago is, but he is doing quite well. 24 IP, 15 H, 3 ER, 0 HR, 10 BB, 26 K, 2.6 K/BB, 1.14 ERA

Johnny Nunez - 17 IP, 17 H, 2 ER, 0 HR, 3 BB, 17 K, 5.67 K/BB, 1.56 ERA

Miguel Socolovich - 21 IP, 15 H, 6 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 21 K, 7 K/BB, 2.57 ERA

Christian Marrero put up a .360/.484/.600/1.084 line.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/org.jsp?id=cws

No idea who Hector Santiago is, but he is doing quite well. 24 IP, 15 H, 3 ER, 0 HR, 10 BB, 26 K, 2.6 K/BB, 1.14 ERA

Johnny Nunez - 17 IP, 17 H, 2 ER, 0 HR, 3 BB, 17 K, 5.67 K/BB, 1.56 ERA

Miguel Socolovich - 21 IP, 15 H, 6 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 21 K, 7 K/BB, 2.57 ERA

Christian Marrero put up a .360/.484/.600/1.084 line.

Santiago is one of only a few decent lefty relief prospects in the system. But he's nowhere near major league ready.

Good to see Marrero doing well, but he had a pretty unimpressive 2010, and I'm not expecting him to make it.