2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
I think most levels of our organization will be interesting and competitive next year... except Charlotte.

Again.

Interesting though, this season, the rookie level teams, A- and A+ were fun and had some talent to watch. Next year, should be the same up to AA. I do think the system is starting to improve again a bit, but is severely lacking in guys who are near ready to make the jump, not including the guys who already jumped this year (Sale, Viciedo, Morel). Looking for guys who could do that in 2011, there's just nothing. So yeah, Charlotte will suck again.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, take away Morel, Viciedo, and Sale and I find it hard not to throw up looking at their roster. (Although I still think Jordan Danks could pan out if he can cut down on strikeouts.)

One thing that surprised me this year was how horrible Rochester... the Twins AAA team... was. They had one of THE worst records in all of MiLB... winning almost 20 games less than Charlotte.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
Yeah, take away Morel, Viciedo, and Sale and I find it hard not to throw up looking at their roster. (Although I still think Jordan Danks could pan out if he can cut down on strikeouts.)

One thing that surprised me this year was how horrible Rochester... the Twins AAA team... was. They had one of THE worst records in all of MiLB... winning almost 20 games less than Charlotte.

I said this on PHT a while back, but the crazy thing is that Beckham could have been making his ML debut now, and he still would have been considered a success.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)

The Twins like to keep their tools guys down in AA, and let a lot of their middling older prospects play out the year in Rochester.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)

You never know what Mitchell could do next year. I don't expect him in Chicago but depending on how he looks in the AFL he could jump on to the 2012 radar with any luck.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
The Twins like to keep their tools guys down in AA, and let a lot of their middling older prospects play out the year in Rochester.

Most of their talent gets a stint in Rochester.

Besides, a 49-95 record is just plain horrible. Rochester is usually good for 70-something wins each year.

It's also worth noting that their AA-team went 44-98 this year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
I do think the system is starting to improve again a bit, but is severely lacking in guys who are near ready to make the jump, not including the guys who already jumped this year (Sale, Viciedo, Morel). Looking for guys who could do that in 2011, there's just nothing. So yeah, Charlotte will suck again.

The thing is, the system couldn't get much worse. It's been raided with graduations and trades. It was average to below average to begin with. Throw in another quick riser like Sale and the system just doesn't have the time to recover. I'm not that offended by the talent the Sox are producing. It's actually been ok, but they haven't been in the system at the same time to make the system look good.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
The thing is, the system couldn't get much worse. It's been raided with graduations and trades. It was average to below average to begin with. Throw in another quick riser like Sale and the system just doesn't have the time to recover. I'm not that offended by the talent the Sox are producing. It's actually been ok, but they haven't been in the system at the same time to make the system look good.

But the Sox minor league "system" is really a combination of two components: finding players + developing players. Isn't it?

So, if you hit a couple of homeruns in finding players who move up quickly, does that mean the "system" sucks because those players are not sitting in the minors developing?

Would our "system" actually be better if the players we found/drafted weren't capable of rising up to the majors as fast? And were just guys viewed as having alot of potential while they plodded their way through each level?

Sort of an interesting paradox, isn't it?

Edited by scenario

Yeah, I was kind of hinting at that. With Sale, Beckham and even Hudson the Sox have produced 3 solid Major Leaguers in a short period of time. Morel and Viciedo are on the cusp. The system had near-ready talent, it's now turning into ready leaving the system mostly dry.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
Yeah, I was kind of hinting at that. With Sale, Beckham and even Hudson the Sox have produced 3 solid Major Leaguers in a short period of time. Morel and Viciedo are on the cusp. The system had near-ready talent, it's now turning into ready leaving the system mostly dry.

Don't forget about the other guys traded away. If you count guys traded away, the Sox system has produced a pretty large number of guys that are at least on the cusp as I write this. Allen, Carter, Gio, Richard, probable one or two more I'm forgetting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
I was thinking about who would likely be in B-Ham in 2011 on Opening Day, and it seems like a really solid team to me.

I've been pimping them to JPN for 2 months now. John, you will see B-Ham baseball become good again my friend. I also think Kanny will be a force to be recon with. Those two teams will battle for the best team in our affiliate next season.

Scouting the Sally has a nice piece up on Tyler Saladino:

http://scoutingthesally.com/2010/09/scouti...cago-white-sox/

More at the link.

As a seventh round pick, the White Sox found themselves a steal in Saladino. While he lacks the projection of younger, more “toolsy” talents, few prospects can boast an average skill set across the board and Saladino can. Add to this his professionalism and polish and Saladino projects as a high floor, moderate ceiling talent who is a good bet to land on many White Sox top-10 lists this offseason. After sneaking a peak at Red Sox first rounder Kolbrin Vitek in the South Atlantic League playoffs, I might even prefer Saladino due to his all-around game whereas Vitek is an all bat, no glove guy.

Preferring Saladino to Vitek is what stood out to me. Hopefully he can stick at SS.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
I've been pimping them to JPN for 2 months now. John, you will see B-Ham baseball become good again my friend. I also think Kanny will be a force to be recon with. Those two teams will battle for the best team in our affiliate next season.

I hope you're right. But, it's okay that this year's team sucked. I really didn't have time for a good team. It actually worked out for me. I left most games at 9 because it was bath time and bed time for baby.

• 2 weeks later...

In case no one's noticed, BA started doing their League Top 20's last week

No one Sox player was on their SAL list. Kinda surprised Thompson wasn't, although I'm sure he was discussed.

Pioneer League had Blanke (7) and Royse (19). Holmberg was 15

Appy league had Heidenreich (17) and Petricka (19)

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)

No one Sox player was on their SAL list. Kinda surprised Thompson wasn't, although I'm sure he was discussed.

Is there a link to some information on Blanke? Haven't followed him that much.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)

Reed was also on the Pioneer list. #8

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
We had one prospect on the AA list in Morel and he was the last quartile. Wow. Could our system be worse? Granted, I am liking what I have seen from Morel/Viciedo, but man, we have no depth.

Their is some glimmer of hope for some offensive players in our system, but if you don't consider Sale a prospect, the pitching in our system is easily the worst in the majors. Even a team like the Astros has Lyles blow up this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
Their is some glimmer of hope for some offensive players in our system, but if you don't consider Sale a prospect, the pitching in our system is easily the worst in the majors. Even a team like the Astros has Lyles blow up this season.

Only possibly true for STARTING pitching. Which of course is the more important part, but still, needed to make that distinction. There are actually a number if intriguing relievers down there.