Best burger joint

The Gooch

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
How has no one mentioned Redamak's yet? I have an urge to just close this thread out of anger.

i had redamaks for the first time in years this summer. my wife and i spent a week at my parents' place in three oaks and we made it over there for lunch one day. it was good, but not quite as good as i remembered. still a damn good burger, though.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
Shipps.

Top Notch is better than Redamaks?

I know that 5 Guys ekes out just above Redamaks for me.

Mmmmm Redamaks. Its in a great location too, right on the way going from Chicago to Michigan which makes a great lunch stop.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 08:55 AM)
Top Notch burger on 95th off of Western is the best burger you will ever eat by far.

^^^

I could walk there from the house I grew up in — and pretty much did so whenever I had enough money for a burger and a milkshake.

:headbang

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
Last week I was amazed at how different the area between Kohls on LaGrange and Target has changed. I live so close to Orland, yet I've haven't been around recently since I always go to Chicago Ridge Mall if I need anything. I'll have to try out these burger joints.

Personally, I like Burger King's hamburgers. Rosie's off 103rd and Cicero has good burgers, as well. Really, everything there is great.

Do they still make a good gyro?

I don't think I saw anyone mention Mr. J's right off the Chicago/State Red Line stop. I first went there as a kid with my old man. He got the Dagwood Special with everything (1/2 pound burger with cheese, mustard, ketchup, homemade relish, onion, lettuce, tomato and sport peppers) and I got mine just with ketchup. I avoid fast food now, but every once in a while, if I have the urge, I want to make it worth my while and Mr. J's Dagwood Special with everything is it.

For one of the best burgers, I agree with Top Notch. Been to the one on 95th off of Cicero. Value? Quantity and price? Hands down....Little Franks Pizza. They have a 1 pound homemade hamburger with Fries for under 6 bucks. It's on 79th street about 1/2 block east of Narraganset in Burbank.

We have both Fatburger and In N' Out Burger here in Vegas. I honestly don't eat burgers that often, so when my buddy came to visit a few months ago from Chicago, he insisted we go to In N' Out. I must say, the burger was quite delicious. However, the fries were for s***.

I just can't rank a burger place #1 if their fries are that weak.

What about Culver's?

I think Fatburger takes the cake for me with the franchises/chains, but nothing beats a solid burger from a hole in the wall joint like McDivot's on Lagrange Rd...

Top Notch, Boston Blackie's, and Monk's.

Poag Mahone's isn't bad, but I don't know why they bother asking you how you want the burger done, since most of the time they don't get it right. Medium doesn't mean grey on the inside, guys.

Edited by almagest

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
Is there a Fuddruckers still around anywhere? I remember in Downers Grove that there used to be one. There were 2 restaurants right across from one another. Fuddruckers, and Mother Tuckers. Try saying those together real fast in mixed company without slipping up.

There's one in Addison and in Hoffman Estates. Think there's one in Naperville too. Reading through this thread I was shocked that nobody had mentioned Fuddruckers. Been eating there for many years and I just love the joint.

They just opened a 5 guys in Mt. Prospect, too bad I started a diet today and I've vowed to steer clear (pun INTENDED) of red meat.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)
Is there a Fuddruckers still around anywhere? I remember in Downers Grove that there used to be one. There were 2 restaurants right across from one another. Fuddruckers, and Mother Tuckers. Try saying those together real fast in mixed company without slipping up.

Whoa, I totally forgot about Fuddruckers!

There's one in Matteson on the southwest corner of Cicero and Route 30. :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
What about Culver's?

I think Fatburger takes the cake for me with the franchises/chains, but nothing beats a solid burger from a hole in the wall joint like McDivot's on Lagrange Rd...

I completely forgot about Culvers (I don't live within 700 miles of one). That's easily the best I've had. Plus they have cheese curds. Awesome.

I do like Red Robin's burger with the fried egg. I've been there about 4 times and had awful service twice, but the food is good. Portillos probably has the best fast-food burger. Their double bacon cheeseburger is unbelievable. I found that the Brickhouse Pizza Pub in Crest hill has very good burgers. They have one with a fried egg, and it rivals Red Robin's.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)

As far as I know, there's still one in Downers off Butterfield and Finley. If it's closed, I'm not going to be too happy.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 12:15 AM)
Carl's Jr kick butt

The first time I ate at a Carls Jr. 6 years ago, I had a spectacular burger.

Ever since then, every single burger I ate there has been simply disappointing. Either cold, not cooked well, not very tasty, etc. I sorta gave up on them after a few crap ones in a row.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 06:02 AM)
I completely forgot about Culvers (I don't live within 700 miles of one). That's easily the best I've had. Plus they have cheese curds. Awesome.

Yeah, the cheese curds are incredible. A family-size order of cheese curds and a chocolate shake on a Sunday in the Fall cannot be beat, my friends...