The Jim Thome Saga Ends

southsider2k5

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
and it was off of guy who was in the midst of saving 70 something in a row

Yeah, 7 years ago.

Last year he hit .234, had an OBP of .277 and K'd 108 times in 462 at bats.

I guess that means he'd platoon well at DH with Jones.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
That.

It also seems that some of ST is ready to hand over the division to a team that made a minor move. Yes, it's a minor move because he won't be playing as much as some of you think he will.

I like Thome too, but we need to stop acting like this guy was the second coming.

This "minor move" would have add a projected 44 runs to our average to below-average lineup. That's a big deal

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:47 AM)
They also have Swarzak, Manship and their prize possession who will move fast in Kyle Gibson, who's predicted to be their #1 starter in 2012 or 2013.

The Twins were active acquiring talent all summer. With the 22nd overall pick in June, they drafted Missouri righthander Kyle Gibson, a projected top-10 pick choice who was available because he had a stress reaction in his right forearm. Gibson signed at the Aug. 17 deadline for $1.85 million, marking the first time Minnesota took a premier talent who slid and paid him a seven-figure, above-slot bonus.

In another first, the Twins paid the highest bonus on the international market in 2009 and the highest for an international player in franchise history when infielder Miguel Sano signed in September for $3.15 million. Minnesota had kicked off the international period by signing German outfielder Max Kepler for $800,000, the largest bonus ever given to a European position player.

from baseballamerica.com

The Twins are going into an all-new stadium, they're not messing around.

Well, we're always looking to be like the Twins, so I guess that means we should be spending 3+ million for international talent and paying players above slot bonuses. Right?

Why don't we ever emulate the good parts of teams, such as a devotion to minor league development, instead of the grindy gimmicky parts? And yes, I realize we've changed our ways from the past, but we still haven't developed much of anything outside of this country through our system. It shouldn't be Carlos Lee, then nothing afterwards. That was over 10 years ago.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
If that was the Sox rotation you would be calling for 65 wins. Its not good.

Because the Sox offense is mediocre. If the Sox had the Twins offense, I'd say they had a pretty damn good team.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
Baker has the stuff to be a legit 2 starter, although he regressed last season.

Slowey is more like a Sonnanstine type who profiles as a 4/5 but pitched like a 2/3 in 2008.

Blackburn is a 3/4, although he has had his moments against us and has really been their "big game" pitcher.

Perkins, if he can stay healthy, has a "plus" arm.

Pavano was suprisingly good for them, he could be anything from a 3-5. He pitched much much better than his ERA of around 5 would indicate because of one or two really terrible outings, the rest were basically "quality" starts.

Yes, it's a far cry from Santana/Liriano/Radke/Garza, but they got the job done last year.

Then you throw other names onto the list like Liriano, Manship, Swarzak, they have a lot of depth. That's at least 9 starters. We have six, unless you count Torres and Hynick as 7 and 8.

Baker is a solid #2. Slowey is far superior to Sonnanstine. He has plus control and his stuff is pretty solid. I would say he is comparable to Greg Maddux towards the end of his career but not at the end of his career. Blackburn is good #3 pitcher as his 4.04 ERA over the past two years indicates. Perkins doesn't have a plus arm and he isn't that good. Pavano is a decent #4 pitcher right now and he pitched his ass off against the Tigers and Sox last year.

From what I can see, they need Slowey to rebound to where he was in '08. If they get that, they need one of Duensing, Liriano, Swarzak, Manship, and whoever else to be a #5 starter. If they don't get Slowey to rebound, they need two from that group to be decent.

In the end, I wouldn't say their rotation is good, but it should get the job done.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
Hahahaha this is comical. New stadiums sell tickets. You don't have to add a old, breaking down, once-a-week DH to sell more tickets.

never hurts to add a big name and bat to add to the excitement of a new stadium, esp a team that's been unable or reluctant to add big names in the past. but i'm glad it amuses you.

As for the Twins, i think they were the favorites going into the season even if we kept Thome. I see the Tigers as the sleeper who could make some noise.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
As for the Twins, i think they were the favorites going into the season even if we kept Thome. I see the Tigers as the sleeper who could make some noise.

What exactly did the Tigers do to upgrade for this season?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
What exactly did the Tigers do to upgrade for this season?

I like Scherzer w/Porcello and Verlander heading up the rotation, and I think Sizemore will be an upgrade over egghead and Raburn will be playing every day, which could help him. Plus he's a solid defender. They also have a closer now with Valverde. And lastly, I was very impressed with Avila last year. Be interesting to see what he can do with a full year under his belt. Not picking them, just saying, they could surprise.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)

Good point, projections are pulled out of some statistician's ***, and have no basis in reality, and are definitely not predicated on factors like player's past performance.

You know the point I was trying to make here. Last time I checked, they didn't hand out wins on who looks like they're going to win. They still play the game.

Twins fans are sure excited to see Thome. I was at TwinsFest Friday, and Thome was at one of the Player Autograph booths. My friend and I were going to stand in line, but the line was really long. I would say close to 700 in line. Some with Thome Twins jerseys already (where did they get them so quick!)

Myself, I don't know how I feel. Thome is old and has back issues and has killed Twins pitching for about 30 years it seems (kind of like Favre and the Vikings). But, he is cheap, a super nice guy, veteran presence, and a guy who is willing to draw a walk.

I guess better to have Thome as a bench guy/platoon DH than some of the other retreads the Twins have bring in (Lamb, Monroe, White, the list is long and dubious)

speaking of the Twins, fans have been kind of abuzz about Liriano's Dominican Winter Ball start the other day. Something like 5 IP, 10 K's. 92-93 MPH FB and his 84-86 MPH slider with wicked movement. That should be for another thread though

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
speaking of the Twins, fans have been kind of abuzz about Liriano's Dominican Winter Ball start the other day. Something like

5 IP, 10 K's. 92-93 MPH FB and his 84-86 MPH slider with wicked movement. That should be for another thread though

I told wite to not sleep on that guy and why, but he replied back some non sense I don't even remember. Sure he has to do that when the season comes, but from what I heard and from what a scout told Andrew Marchanes(sp?) he "looks like the Liriano of old." Usually it takes 2 years to really come back from TJ. Well... this will be year 2 for Francisco and I see him being a nice dark horse for you guys this season.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 10:17 PM)
I told wite to not sleep on that guy and why, but he replied back some non sense I don't even remember. Sure he has to do that when the season comes, but from what I heard and from what a scout told Andrew Marchanes(sp?) he "looks like the Liriano of old." Usually it takes 2 years to really come back from TJ. Well... this will be year 2 for Francisco and I see him being a nice dark horse for you guys this season.

If the Liriano of 2006 returns we are in DEEP s***.

Twins fans are sure excited to see Thome. I was at TwinsFest Friday, and Thome was at one of the Player Autograph booths. My friend and I were going to stand in line, but the line was really long. I would say close to 700 in line. Some with Thome Twins jerseys already (where did they get them so quick!)

Myself, I don't know how I feel. Thome is old and has back issues and has killed Twins pitching for about 30 years it seems (kind of like Favre and the Vikings). But, he is cheap, a super nice guy, veteran presence, and a guy who is willing to draw a walk.

I guess better to have Thome as a bench guy/platoon DH than some of the other retreads the Twins have bring in (Lamb, Monroe, White, the list is long and dubious)

speaking of the Twins, fans have been kind of abuzz about Liriano's Dominican Winter Ball start the other day. Something like 5 IP, 10 K's. 92-93 MPH FB and his 84-86 MPH slider with wicked movement. That should be for another thread though

That is basically the velocity he threw both pitches last season. When he's throwing 95-97 mph fastballs and 90 mph sliders I'll be more afraid. Then I'll lose that fear when, after a year (at most) his arm falls off.

No one loved the old Liriano like I did, but even if he did return to old form, it wouldn't be for very long. What made him great is what ultimately led to his injury. You just can't indefinitely snap off a 90mph slider with his delivery without reoccurring issues.

That is insane about having Thome Jerseys done already.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
That is insane about having Thome Jerseys done already.

You gotta love American marketing and manufacturing :headbang

What really amazes me is when we piss off some s*** hole country with two airplanes and a leaky boat half way around the world and within 3 hours they are burning dozens of US flags. Where the hell do they get them so fast?