Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
Even for a $300 difference by the time the wife and I both get a phone?

Check amazon's wireless store. If you're willing to switch providers and sign a new two year deal you can get phones for a penny each. My wife and I switched from iphones (AT&T) to the Droid Razr (Verizon) about a week after it was released. Pretty awesome deal.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
Check amazon's wireless store. If you're willing to switch providers and sign a new two year deal you can get phones for a penny each. My wife and I switched from iphones (AT&T) to the Droid Razr (Verizon) about a week after it was released. Pretty awesome deal.

We had awful service areas with verizon. They really aren't an option.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
Even for a $300 difference by the time the wife and I both get a phone?

The biggest unseen advantage of iPhones/iPads is their resale value.

Real world example, when the iPad3 came out, I sold my iPad2 for 425$.

When the iPhone 4 came out, I sold my iPhone 3gs for 200$.

It's like buying upgrades for 75%+ off.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
No, I never said Android was so slow it was barely useable...but to say you can't see a difference in smoothness between iOS and Android is just insane. Not only have you already admitted that you could (you said you didn't like how smooth it was), only to say a few posts later that you couldn't tell the difference between the two. THAT is what leads me to the conclusion that you're in denial...in one post you say you can see it, in another you suddenly can't.

It's also just incorrect...everyone could always see such a difference...let's not pretend it wasn't there.

lol when did I say that?

I never said I didn't like it (why would I not like something that is a little bit smoother?). My point was that it wasn't a big enough difference for me to care. As in, the smoothness wasn't a huge issue before and the improvement isn't something that made me go "wow".

All I'm saying is that the idea that iOS is far smoother than Android is overblown. There might be a difference, but it's not to the point where you think one is far superior to the other or that it totally changes your user experience.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
lol when did I say that?

I never said I didn't like it (why would I not like something that is a little bit smoother?). My point was that it wasn't a big enough difference for me to care. As in, the smoothness wasn't a huge issue before and the improvement isn't something that made me go "wow".

When?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
4.1 is smoother than previous iterations, but I honestly don't care for it (the smoothness) nor do I notice it enough to care for it. Just like how I didn't care for the smooth UI on the iPhone 4 when I used it for a week a month back.

Right about there.

Link

Apple, which has made no official announcement, is planning a September 12 event at which the next generation of the iconic smartphone will presumably be announced, according to multiple reports.

iMore, an Apple-oriented blog, was the first to report that "sources who have proven accurate in the past" said the phone will be introduced at an event that day and released nine days later. Observers are calling it the iPhone 5, although no name has been announced.

Others, including The Wall Street Journal's All Things D blog, followed with similar reports. Quoting anonymous sources at Apple, All Things D said an event is planned for the week of September 9. The 12th would be a Wednesday, which follows with previous Apple events.

A September release would be slightly ahead of Apple's established one-iPhone-per-year pace. But the iPhone 4S took longer than usual, its October unveiling coming about 16 months after the iPhone 4.

A fall iPhone release has been considered a foregone conclusion by most observers for months. Speculation has focused on a handful of expected new features, including a slightly larger screen, a smaller dock connector and NFC technology that would make it easier for shoppers to make payments through their phones.

iMore also says that the mythical "iPad Mini" will be unveiled at the event. Speculation has increasingly ramped up that Apple, faced by competition from Amazon's Kindle Fire and Google's Nexus 7 tablets, is making a smaller version of the iPad.

The move would fly in the face of statements made by the late Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who favored full-size tablets. But Apple faces unprecedented competition in the space and may argue that screen technology that would have made a smaller iPad impractical before is now available.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
I can't wait for Apple to release their iPad Shuffle. A tablet with no screen that costs only $350. It would be so revolutionary, innovative, and whatever other narrative is thrown at every device they release.

Only they wouldn't actually release such a device, nor call it any of those things.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
Right, that's what I was getting at. I'm still shocked they ever sold one of those things.

It's portable and it's super cheap.

It'd be nice if it supported Blutooth, but that's not the case.

I can see an actual use for it if it supported wireless headphones. It'd be great to take running or when you're playing sports.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)
Right, that's what I was getting at. I'm still shocked they ever sold one of those things.

Really? You can't believe they sold a very tiny music device that was cheap, especially with their partnership with nike for runners? Just because a tv company makes a really sweet tv doesn't mean they shouldn't offer smaller, less sweet ones for those who can't afford the highest end. It doesn't mean they don't produce groundbreaking products just becasue all of them aren't.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
Really? You can't believe they sold a very tiny music device that was cheap, especially with their partnership with nike for runners? Just because a tv company makes a really sweet tv doesn't mean they shouldn't offer smaller, less sweet ones for those who can't afford the highest end. It doesn't mean they don't produce groundbreaking products just becasue all of them aren't.

Don't mind Joe. He thinks Apple is a terrible company that makes awful products.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
Don't mind Joe. He thinks Apple is a terrible company that makes awful products.

Well, they aren't.

There are a lot of good technology companies out there making good products, and Apple is one of them. Anyone that says otherwise needs to stop talking about technology.

IT DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A SCREEN!!! Lol, are you guys serious right now? You can stroke Apple all you want, but why the HELL would you ever buy an mp3 player when you have no idea what's even playing? Jesus, even CD players had track #'s listed. Absolutely idiotic. You want something small to run with? Take a look around at all the other brands selling mp3 players that are small and HAVE SCREENS.

I mean, I honestly couldn't stop laughing when I heard it first announced.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 04:53 AM)
IT DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A SCREEN!!! Lol, are you guys serious right now? You can stroke Apple all you want, but why the HELL would you ever buy an mp3 player when you have no idea what's even playing? Jesus, even CD players had track #'s listed. Absolutely idiotic. You want something small to run with? Take a look around at all the other brands selling mp3 players that are small and HAVE SCREENS.

I mean, I honestly couldn't stop laughing when I heard it first announced.

The point of it was to be small, and a storage unit for songs you wanted to hear play...you didn't need a screen for what the device was...you could hear the song. It was a great size for people who wanted to run with it...and that's all it was. It wasn't meant for any other audience. This is the part you don't seem to get.

Until recently, most cars didn't have displays for their CD players, either...so what? You couldn't hear the song playing?

Edited by Y2HH