Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
Google Hangouts to start rolling out with SMS integration and other new features today

I read somewhere that Mavericks was going to make it more difficult to use non-iCloud services. Is that right?

I just want them to integrate Google Voice into Hangouts. I guess SMS is step 1, hopefully step 2 will come soon enough.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 05:49 PM)
They thought it was awesome. I obviously didn't turn it off during a lecture, I'm not stupid. But before class started I turned it on, which freaked them and the students out. Then I explained it was my phone and the were amazed. My prof said I should go down the hallway turning projectors on and off scaring teachers. Technology is amazing.

Seriously, this stunt amazed people? Easy crowd to impress since this was one of Steve Wozniak's original pranks in the early 80's, and we did it ourselves in the early 90s.

TIL you're school is apparently decades behind what technology has been doing ... for decades.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
Aww, don't get all mature on us just because the iPhone can't do it. :P

Would probably be cool if it wasn't something we were doing in 1995.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
Seriously, this stunt amazed people? Easy crowd to impress since this was one of Steve Wozniak's original pranks in the early 80's, and we did it ourselves in the early 90s.

TIL you're school is apparently decades behind what technology has been doing ... for decades.

Jesus christ you are uppity. My school is actually one of the most state of the art in terms of video production, so can it, dickweed.

I guess I didn't realize that for decades now cell phones had the ability to take over an IR frequency. You must have also pissed all over the first time you saw a phone have an level tool app, you know, since levels have been around for over 350 years.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 06:21 PM)
I just want them to integrate Google Voice into Hangouts. I guess SMS is step 1, hopefully step 2 will come soon enough.

I believe revamping the messaging API is one of the major changes expected in 4.4

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 07:32 PM)
Mine does. It's essentially a harmony all in one.

You can't do it to other TVs that isn't connected to whatever system you have in your house though.

The IR blaster is a really cool thing to have.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 07:03 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2884121:date=Oct 29, 2013 -> 06:20 PM:name=chw42)-->
<!--quotec-->Aww, don't get all mature on us just because the iPhone can't do it. :P

Would probably be cool if it wasn't something we were doing in 1995.

Hey, I like the ability to change the channel at the bar if the bartender's too busy.

I don't care if that was cool in 1960.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 09:28 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2884230:date=Oct 29, 2013 -> 09:20 PM:name=chw42)-->
QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 09:20 PM)
<!--quotec-->You can't do it to other TVs that isn't connected to whatever system you have in your house though.

This reminds me of the All in the Family episode where the guy had the remote doorbell ringer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRm9hTi5Nwc

Oh man, we had one of those are Chili's. After about a week it was taken away because all the employees used it to f*** with everyone else. lol.

You can't do it to other TVs that isn't connected to whatever system you have in your house though.

Oh for certain! I'm sure you get ALL the chicks with it...

They thought it was awesome. I obviously didn't turn it off during a lecture, I'm not stupid. But before class started I turned it on, which freaked them and the students out. Then I explained it was my phone and the were amazed. My prof said I should go down the hallway turning projectors on and off scaring teachers. Technology is amazing.

Technology is amazing? 30 year old IR games? LMAO This is the participation medal award of pranks.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 09:08 PM)
Oh for certain! I'm sure you get ALL the chicks with it...

lol when was the last time anyone picked up a chick because of a smartphone?

I'm anxiously waiting to hear about how your iPhone has gotten you laid at least 15 times.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:59 PM)
Technology is amazing? 30 year old IR games? LMAO This is the participation medal award of pranks.

Yeah, and maps have existed pretty much since the dawn of civilization, so the fact that we have them in our phones is no major feat at all I guess.

How do you not understand that having something exist, and having something exist inside of a cell phone are different things? I think it's stupid that this somehow is bothering a few of you, as if I had been proclaiming I invented this myself.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 12:50 AM)
Yeah, and maps have existed pretty much since the dawn of civilization, so the fact that we have them in our phones is no major feat at all I guess.

How do you not understand that having something exist, and having something exist inside of a cell phone are different things? I think it's stupid that this somehow is bothering a few of you, as if I had been proclaiming I invented this myself.

Old Man syndrome

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 12:50 AM)

It's not bothering any of us, it's just that you proclaim to be so tech aware, and something as simple as IR and remote control software amazes you and your top technological schoolmates.

Also, IR on a phone isn't new, nor is remote control software on a phone, that's also existed for well over a decade...my Windows Mobile 4.5 phone in 2002 could do this.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
Jesus christ you are uppity. My school is actually one of the most state of the art in terms of video production, so can it, dickweed.

I guess I didn't realize that for decades now cell phones had the ability to take over an IR frequency. You must have also pissed all over the first time you saw a phone have an level tool app, you know, since levels have been around for over 350 years.

Apparently, your school is state of the art, but the students that attend it are anything but since IR amazes them.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 05:45 AM)
Old Man syndrome

This has nothing to do with people seeing new tech and going "old man syndrome" and saying that before Google Maps existed, regular paper maps were just as good.

No, this is more akin to him posting about a new feature he just discovered called Google Maps. In 2013. ;)

I don't know if I believe this one. This isn't anything new to the world. Woopteef***ingdoo you turned on a projector with your phone. Everyone in that class has had the same phone or better for years and just didn't do "that" because they don't want to be a disruptive pain in the ass.