Should a Sox fan WANT Mauer to stay in Minn?

Princess Dye

Been thinking about this. If the end goal is a championship, then you should not want the Yanks to solidify one of the toughest positions to get offense at.

Also, Mauer signing in Minnesota might hamstring the franchise's finances even more than they have been.

My apologies if this has had its own thread before, was hoping to at least put it in a different light than past discussions.

I don't think so. Anything can happen in the playoffs, so you just gotta get there. With Mauer in Minny, they have the best player in the AL and a thorn in our side. I want him out. Imagine if they don't sign Mauer, they lose fan support, tickets sales, etc. I think it makes more sense for them to resign b/c he draws fans and money to the franchise.

Edited by maggsmaggs

First off, I've never bought into the notion you could build a team that can win 95-100 games in the regular season, but isn't built to win 4 out of 7 games in the playoffs. That's just ridiculous.

As a baseball fan, I think its good that Mauer stays in Minnesota. As a White Sox fan, it probably isn't so good, but in the long run, its better for the sport. Carl Pohlad may have been the richest owner in baseball. I don't know what the situation is now, but they've upped the payroll significantly and still need to pay Mauer, so I don't think finances really were ever much of a problem in Minneapolis. They just played it that way. They were one of the first teams to have a higher revenue sharing check than a payroll, although that has changed. Although they have had a better recent history than the Chicago NHL team, I wonder if Pohlad's son isn't the Rocky Wirtz of MLB.

I don't really like him being in our division but I like it when a team, regardless of who it is but especially if they're a small-market team, can draft an all-star or future HOFer and be able to keep him for most of his career. That doesn't happen often enough in MLB, IMO.

I guess another thing to consider is he could stay in Minn and later on have to be taken out of the catcher position. But still paid at a premium as if he was C.

So while he'll still be a great hitter, he'll be paid a (Minnesota-adjusted) large portion of his team's payroll. Perhaps overly so. It would rob the Twins of their current mindset of covering 1B with one of the many capable cheap players out there.

And we have no idea if his power spurt of 09 will hold. He could be a Grace-like 1b for them, who for years is a great hitter but robbing his team of a power hitter at a power position.

Or I'm wrong and he's still spectacular in every way for them. Probably that.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
Yes, I want him in Minnesota, because I don't want baseball to be the type of sport where a team like Minny can't keep a guy like him.

I agree with you. The business of the game is boring when the same 3 teams are the only teams with a real chance to sign the annual top free agents.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 11:22 PM)
I agree with you. The business of the game is boring when the same 3 teams are the only teams with a real chance to sign the annual top free agents.

I wonder if this will ever change in MLB. I would like to see a salary cap.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
I wonder if this will ever change in MLB. I would like to see a salary cap.

Would you be willing to lose an entire season for a salary cap? That's what happened in the NHL, and the MLBPA is a hell of a lot stronger and better at what they do.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
Would you be willing to lose an entire season for a salary cap? That's what happened in the NHL, and the MLBPA is a hell of a lot stronger and better at what they do.

There are plenty of things that could be fixed to help the game before a salary cap. #1 would be a world wide draft. #2 would be an NBA style slotting system for how much draft picks can be paid. #3 would be Olympic style drug testing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
There are plenty of things that could be fixed to help the game before a salary cap. #1 would be a world wide draft. #2 would be an NBA style slotting system for how much draft picks can be paid. #3 would be Olympic style drug testing.

Can I add a salary floor to that list?