MLB 10: The Show

Quin

Finished my 2011 RTTS season with the Charlotte Knights.

Reg Season + Playoffs.

31 GS, 15-4 record, 2.16 ERA, 5 CG, 5 SO, 221 IP, 200 H, 8 HR, 5 BB, 187 K, 0.93 WHIP

We won the AAA championship. I went 3-0, 2 CG, 2 SO, 0.00 ERA, 24 IP, 13 H, 1 BB, 24 K, 0.58 WHIP. I had a perfect game into the 7th inning of the Championship game. I allowed a hit, and they immediately pulled me even though I was only at like 70 pitches. No idea why.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings everyone,

I just read this entire thread and like someone else had to look up what RTTS meant! The last baseball game I bought was MVP05 for PS2. I've never played any of the 2K Sports games, or the Show series. I might buy this years Show game as it looks pretty cool.

I'm going to be moving soon so I'll finally be able to hook up the internet to my PS3. I've always been interested in downloading rosters for a game like this. Is it easy to do? Can you just do it online via the PS3? Or is it something where you have to download the rosters via the computer then somehow transfer it to the PS3? Sorry for asking a stupid question, just don't know how it's done. Even if I don't buy the Show, I've be interested in doing it for Madden.

Thanks!

EDIT: I see you can download a roster off a site like OS and save it to a USB then port it to PS3. Or I see easports does rosters for Madden that can be downloaded online. I'll have to try this out.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
Greetings everyone,

I just read this entire thread and like someone else had to look up what RTTS meant! The last baseball game I bought was MVP05 for PS2. I've never played any of the 2K Sports games, or the Show series. I might buy this years Show game as it looks pretty cool.

I'm going to be moving soon so I'll finally be able to hook up the internet to my PS3. I've always been interested in downloading rosters for a game like this. Is it easy to do? Can you just do it online via the PS3? Or is it something where you have to download the rosters via the computer then somehow transfer it to the PS3? Sorry for asking a stupid question, just don't know how it's done. Even if I don't buy the Show, I've be interested in doing it for Madden.

Thanks!

EDIT: I see you can download a roster off a site like OS and save it to a USB then port it to PS3. Or I see easports does rosters for Madden that can be downloaded online. I'll have to try this out.

Once you go online on The Show, there is a section called "Roster Vault". You download rosters straight on to your PS3 through the game; no need for a computer or flashdrive. You can also upload your roster for others to use as well. I personally am waiting for Knight's rosters from Operation Sports. He and his helpers are doing over 600 minor leaguers and editing other players. It's going to be fantastic, and they spend a whole month working on it. It should be released right around opening day, so only about 10 days or so left.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
Greetings everyone,

Thanks!

You CAN get the OS rosters that way, or they will upload them to the roster vault you go to right in the game itself. MLB 10 The Show also releases updates weekly (every monday), but the OS are cool because the entire Minor Leagues are correct.

The Show will not leave you disappointed. I've never played a better game. Period.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)
Made my Major League Debut vs. the Indians in 2012 season on OPENING DAY. I was surprised they gave it to a rookie over Peavy, but my overall bar is almost full right now.

I threw a complete game, shutout with 8 K's, 0 BB. Allowed 8 hits, but 3 of those came in the 8th and 9th inning. I killed it.

You should probably up your difficulty a little bit. How exactly is it fun for you if you haven't given up a run since you were in AA?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
You should probably up your difficulty a little bit. How exactly is it fun for you if you haven't given up a run since you were in AA?

What? My ERA was like 2.20 for AAA. I allowed runs... ?

Anyway, my ERA in 4 major leauge starts is like 5.30 right now. I have allowed like 7 HR in my last 3 games. MLB is rough.

Pitching comes too easy to me, even on the hardest difficulty levels. That's why I'm doing batting. I started all over again as I didn't know, simming a season is career suicide since you won't meet any of your goals and you'll end up a utility player or cut. Since the Sox don't need a 3B, I ended up signing with the Reds as a 3B/2B-SS. Very fun and lots of putouts, but challenging defensively. I started out hitting .119, but have upped my average in three games to .174. For hitting, anyone know the tips and what to increase first that will allow me to improve fast? It's funny because they also had me play some catcher too. I think it's BS that they don't give you points for calling the pitches and getting strikeouts. First two hitters ended up with backward K's, the last one ended up K'ing on a ball in the dirt.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
Pitching comes too easy to me, even on the hardest difficulty levels. That's why I'm doing batting. I started all over again as I didn't know, simming a season is career suicide since you won't meet any of your goals and you'll end up a utility player or cut. Since the Sox don't need a 3B, I ended up signing with the Reds as a 3B/2B-SS. Very fun and lots of putouts, but challenging defensively. I started out hitting .119, but have upped my average in three games to .174. For hitting, anyone know the tips and what to increase first that will allow me to improve fast? It's funny because they also had me play some catcher too. I think it's BS that they don't give you points for calling the pitches and getting strikeouts. First two hitters ended up with backward K's, the last one ended up K'ing on a ball in the dirt.

Yeah, playing catcher is not worth it at all.

Anyway, as for tips hitting. I always guess fastball LOW. That way if it's not a fastball, it's likely an offspeed pitch (Not to mention they throw fastball more than any other pitch). I guess low because I find pitches low the hardest to judge for a ball and strike. If it is up in the zone, I find it much easier to lay off balls and also, if its not low, I cheat up to increase my bat coverage.

Another suggestion that helps a LOT is changing your "guess pitch" to Classic 1/4. This is very ideal. Basically, if you guess the correct location of the pitch, it shows exactly where the pitch is going. Since I guess low all the time, it helps me lay off those low balls. Without this Classic 1/4, I would strike out 10 times a game, but instead I only K like 3-4 times (against average pitchers) because I can judge pitches in/out/high a lot easier. Very beneficial!

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)

Power. Power changes everything. Once you can leave the yard at a reasonable clip, you draw a ton more walks, and it makes the hitting process much much easier.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
Power. Power changes everything. Once you can leave the yard at a reasonable clip, you draw a ton more walks, and it makes the hitting process much much easier.

That and speed. The faster you are the easier it is to pick up infield hits, beat out double plays and take that extra base on balls in the gap or hit slowly down the line.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)

When I have extra training points, I always dump them in vision. Vision > contact. Vision allows your hitter to pick up the movement of pitches, where as when you have a player with a low vision attribute, he'll, for instance, recognize a slider sweeping across the middle to the outside of the plate as a fastball and catch it off the end of the bat - this is completely regardless of what you actually see and know is coming.

With high vision, he'll recognize that it's moving out, and he'll put the barrell on it. High vision also means you're going to foul off a lot more of those tough, borderline strikes instead of completely whiffing or hitting a weak out. Get the vision high enough, and you'll end up with base hits on pitchers pitches instead of foul balls. High vision also means you can make more mistakes with where you put your hitting zone. If you have it inside, you can still hit an outside pitch, etc.

I have no solutions for those bulls*** 75 MPH changeups though. I just try to foul them off.

If anyone wants to play some games online, a little friendly compettition, add me: Marv_the_Butcher. Be warned though, I play to climb the ladders, so I pitch like an asshole. :D

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 07:43 AM)
When I have extra training points, I always dump them in vision. Vision > contact. Vision allows your hitter to pick up the movement of pitches, where as when you have a player with a low vision attribute, he'll, for instance, recognize a slider sweeping across the middle to the outside of the plate as a fastball and catch it off the end of the bat - this is completely regardless of what you actually see and know is coming.

With high vision, he'll recognize that it's moving out, and he'll put the barrell on it. High vision also means you're going to foul off a lot more of those tough, borderline strikes instead of completely whiffing or hitting a weak out. Get the vision high enough, and you'll end up with base hits on pitchers pitches instead of foul balls. High vision also means you can make more mistakes with where you put your hitting zone. If you have it inside, you can still hit an outside pitch, etc.

I have no solutions for those bulls*** 75 MPH changeups though. I just try to foul them off.

If anyone wants to play some games online, a little friendly compettition, add me: Marv_the_Butcher. Be warned though, I play to climb the ladders, so I pitch like an asshole. :D

I've almost always ignored vision and always put everything into contact. No wonder every pitch looks good. :lolhitting I'm going to up my vision with my additional points.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
Yeah, playing catcher is not worth it at all.

Anyway, as for tips hitting. I always guess fastball LOW. That way if it's not a fastball, it's likely an offspeed pitch (Not to mention they throw fastball more than any other pitch). I guess low because I find pitches low the hardest to judge for a ball and strike. If it is up in the zone, I find it much easier to lay off balls and also, if its not low, I cheat up to increase my bat coverage.

Another suggestion that helps a LOT is changing your "guess pitch" to Classic 1/4. This is very ideal. Basically, if you guess the correct location of the pitch, it shows exactly where the pitch is going. Since I guess low all the time, it helps me lay off those low balls. Without this Classic 1/4, I would strike out 10 times a game, but instead I only K like 3-4 times (against average pitchers) because I can judge pitches in/out/high a lot easier. Very beneficial!

Classic 1/4 is borderline cheating. I'd be hitting around .700 if I used it. There's really no fun to hitting if you don't have to judge whether or not that low changeup is going to drop out of the zone or if that curve is high enough out of the pitcher's hand to land in the bottom of the zone.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
Classic 1/4 is borderline cheating. I'd be hitting around .700 if I used it. There's really no fun to hitting if you don't have to judge whether or not that low changeup is going to drop out of the zone or if that curve is high enough out of the pitcher's hand to land in the bottom of the zone.

It entirely defeats the purpose of having the new controls. The fun of it is the challenge of mastering them. Baseball is a difficult sport. The controls in this game are difficult.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)

Sure it's fair. With the angle we have, judge low pitches is nearly impossible. I find it much more realistic because I can actually draw 1-2 walks a game and not strike out 9 times.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 06:45 PM)
Sure it's fair. With the angle we have, judge low pitches is nearly impossible. I find it much more realistic because I can actually draw 1-2 walks a game and not strike out 9 times.

I don't think it's that hard. Over time you should get a good feel for the break on various pitches, check what the pitcher has in his repertoire and look for that break out of his hand you should be able to tell right away about where the ball is going to land based on the ball's size. It's like a low fastball: you know it'll be above or below the knees based on how quickly it sinks out of his hand, if it starts out small and stays small it's likely below the knees, if it starts out normal and gets slightly larger as it approaches the plate then it's probably at or above the knees. Focus on the arc and growing size of the ball and it shouldn't bee too difficult. If you just use classic 1/4 you won't have any incentive to learn how to judge balls and strikes.

Curveballs are best judged by how high they are out of the pitcher's hand, that's something you have to get a feel for pitcher to pitcher but it's usually pretty obvious if the ball will land in the zone, it'll start rather high and you do have a good amount of time to judge it. 12CV will have more arc and a SCV will come across the zone likely with a little less arc.

If a changeup looks like it's going to land at the bottom of the zone then chances are it's going to fall below your knees. Same goes for forkballs, splitties and circle changes.

Sliders will come out of the hand small and won't get much bigger as they approach.

A sinker is basically just a hard circle change with less dip.

Cutters and 2 seamers can be judged the same as a regular fastball.

Just uploaded my all time Sox roster. Its called "Quins Alltime Sox"

All names are said correctly unless otherwise stated.

SP - Mark Buehrle #56

SP - Ed Walsh #82

SP - Ted Lyons #6

SP - Red Faber #8 (Game says "Red")

SP - Billy Pierce #91

C - Carlton Fisk #27

1B - Paul Konerko #14

2B - Nellie Fox #22 (Game says "Nelson Fox")

SS - Luis Aparicio #11

3B - Robin Ventura #23

LF - Joe Jackson #5

CF - Minnie Minoso #99 (Game says "Minnie") - Uses Carlos Quentins stance (I couldn't find a good pic of Minnie, and he led the league in HBP's a couple times...)

RF - Harold Baines #33 (Game says "Harold Bain") - Based on pre-Knee injury Harold, so he can field well.

DH - Frank Thomas #35 - Based on '93-'94 Frank. Is a monster.

RP - Wilbur Wood #28 (Game says "Wil Wood")

RP - Bobby Thigpen #73 (#37 went to Thornton for being on current roster)

RP - Hoyt Wilhem #31

RP - Matt Thornton #37

RP - Roberto Hernandez #39

CL - Bobby Jenks #45

C - AJ Pierzynski #12

INF - Eddie Collins #18

INF - Luke Appling #44

OF - Magglio Ordonez #30

OF - Lance Johnson #30

My favorite faces are Harold, Pierce, and One Dog. I'll probably redo Nellie at sometime.

Now for my next roster...every teams All-Time.

Edit: If I made a League and picked the Sox as my team, would I be the only person who could use them, because if so, I'll go with Mariners.

Eh, just went with the Mariners to be safe. Plus, I suck at hitting, so Safeco will suit me better.

Made the league, it's called "SoxTalk"

Max Teams: 14

Max Playoff Teams: 4

2 Series Against Each Team (Division and Other)

3 Games Per Series

5 Days Per Series

Minimum Level: Rookie (Meant to put veteran...code of honor?)

Max: Hall of Fame

Game Difficult: Veteran

Pitching Interface: Classic (Does this just apply to me or the entire league?)

Guess Pitch: Default

Strike Zone: On with HotZones

Baserunning Controls: New

Trades: On

Injuries: On

Auto Resolve: On

Strike Zone: Variable

Presentation: Broadcast

Ejections: On

Home Run Cam: On

Draft Round Timer: 90

Sent out invites to everyone on the PSN List.

Edited by Quinarvy

So my hitting at one point was pretty decent. Now it is awful. I am probably 2-10 my last 12 games. Peavy lost a 2-hit game by a score of 1-0. I can only push across like 3-5 hits per game and 0-2 runs. Starting pitchers would routinely go 8 or 9 innings and throw about 60-70 pitches.

Finally I decided I will not swing at anything until I get to a 2 strike count. It actually worked out really well my last game vs. Zambrano. I scored 6 runs and won the game 6-2. Collected about 12-13 hits, and Beckham went 3-4 with 2 HR (my first multi-HR game by a player).

Taking 70% of the pitches is definitely the way to go, but soo boring. My game took like 35-40 minutes, and I simulate pitching. Not sure if I can endure games that last like 70-80 minutes.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 02:13 AM)
My game took like 35-40 minutes, and I simulate pitching. Not sure if I can endure games that last like 70-80 minutes.

I hear that! Baseball is such a longgg game thats why I get my quick baseball fix with a couple RTTS games (I skip fielding and baserunning oppurtunities to really make the games fly by). When i actually have some time to kill ill fire up a game with my Sox franchise.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 10:15 PM)
Minimum Level: Rookie (Meant to put veteran...code of honor?)

Pitching Interface: Classic (Does this just apply to me or the entire league?)

If the minimum level were veteran, that would mean that everyone would have to hop online and have at least 300 points. That means their record would have to be 30 games over .500, and they'd have to be ranked in the top 200 of all online players.

The pitching interface is for the entire league.