MLB 10: The Show

Quin

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
Facing the Twins the bases are loaded with Thome at the plate, so I bring in Throtan and on the first pitch Thome lays down a bunt for a suicide squeeze really game?

lol. That's Gardenhire-ball.

When I played the Twins last time, Thome went 4-5 with 3 HR. lol. The computer pitches for me, but still. 3 HR and 7 RBI for big Jim.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
lol. That's Gardenhire-ball.

When I played the Twins last time, Thome went 4-5 with 3 HR. lol. The computer pitches for me, but still. 3 HR and 7 RBI for big Jim.

I find pitching to be so enjoyable, why do you have the PC pitch for you?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
I find pitching to be so enjoyable, why do you have the PC pitch for you?

It's just my practice franchise until Knight releases his massive minor league rosters on Operation Sports. I know my pitching game is solid, so I just do hitting right now because I need to improve my hitting. I am in June in my prac. franchise, but I only pitch against the stop pitches in the league, so I play like once or twice a week.

Just played a 40 min game (just hitting) of suck. I was winning 4-3 going into the 9th. Jenks strikes out Aram, allows a game-tying HR to Soriano, and then allows the walk-off HR to Bryd. I am glad I just wasted 40 mins watching 90 pitches go by without swinging only to end up losing. f*** this, I am putting the strike frequency on 100% and going back to swinging at 95% of the pitches.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 11:45 AM)
If the minimum level were veteran, that would mean that everyone would have to hop online and have at least 300 points. That means their record would have to be 30 games over .500, and they'd have to be ranked in the top 200 of all online players.

The pitching interface is for the entire league.

Ah, at least I accidentally put rookie.

Also, didn't know the pitching interface is for the whole league...

...speaking of which, what do you guys prefer, Classic or Meter pitching?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
Just played a 40 min game (just hitting) of suck. I was winning 4-3 going into the 9th. Jenks strikes out Aram, allows a game-tying HR to Soriano, and then allows the walk-off HR to Bryd. I am glad I just wasted 40 mins watching 90 pitches go by without swinging only to end up losing. f*** this, I am putting the strike frequency on 100% and going back to swinging at 95% of the pitches.

40 minutes? Thats a fast game for me. You lost big deal, is going 162-0 fun? I like being challenged in video games, and the show finally lets that happen. You really need to just move your hitting to rookie and play a bunch of games on that to get the strike zone down, and then when your pitch recognition is where it needs to be move to veteran and you won't have a problem. It really helps, and I don't sit there and take walks because I swing at good pitches no matter the count and rarely does 4 balls happen before a good pitch. I'm not hitting like a team .340 in my dynasty.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)
Ah, at least I accidentally put rookie.

Also, didn't know the pitching interface is for the whole league...

...speaking of which, what do you guys prefer, Classic or Meter pitching?

Meter is the only way to go.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 08:38 PM)
40 minutes? Thats a fast game for me. You lost big deal, is going 162-0 fun? I like being challenged in video games, and the show finally lets that happen. You really need to just move your hitting to rookie and play a bunch of games on that to get the strike zone down, and then when your pitch recognition is where it needs to be move to veteran and you won't have a problem. It really helps, and I don't sit there and take walks because I swing at good pitches no matter the count and rarely does 4 balls happen before a good pitch. I'm not hitting like a team .340 in my dynasty.

My pitch recognition is fine. It's the fact that even when I DO make contact, I make outs. I think maybe I need to turn the "solid hits" up higher or something. I shouldn't have to play a 40 minute game (just hitting) and still not even score enough runs or get enough hits.

I bought the game on Saturday. I played my first game tonight against my brother in law and I lost like 9-0. I got 10 hits in the game but didn't score any runs. I liked the graphics of the game, I found the hitting to be a little hard for me. I'm pretty much a swing at everything unless it's way out of the zone type of guy. I found the base running to be weird, but I didn't have a grasp of the controls yet. One of the things that happened was I had 1st and 2nd and I hit a gapper to right field and nobody scored. The runners advanced one base and stopped.

I liked the pitching meter that you use, it reminds of playing MVP Baseball. One of the funny things that happened was that time was called because a beach ball was in the right field area by Ichiro, that was a fun twist. A question for all of the long time Show players I had was, is there any kind of mound charging or anything like that? In the game I played tonight there was a few hit batters, and all I saw was the hitter jaw jacking with the pitcher, and the hitter stopped walking to first and started to talk to the 1st base dugout.

Overall, I'm excited to play the game again.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
I bought the game on Saturday. I played my first game tonight against my brother in law and I lost like 9-0. I got 10 hits in the game but didn't score any runs. I liked the graphics of the game, I found the hitting to be a little hard for me. I'm pretty much a swing at everything unless it's way out of the zone type of guy. I found the base running to be weird, but I didn't have a grasp of the controls yet. One of the things that happened was I had 1st and 2nd and I hit a gapper to right field and nobody scored. The runners advanced one base and stopped.

I liked the pitching meter that you use, it reminds of playing MVP Baseball. One of the funny things that happened was that time was called because a beach ball was in the right field area by Ichiro, that was a fun twist. A question for all of the long time Show players I had was, is there any kind of mound charging or anything like that? In the game I played tonight there was a few hit batters, and all I saw was the hitter jaw jacking with the pitcher, and the hitter stopped walking to first and started to talk to the 1st base dugout.

Overall, I'm excited to play the game again.

I'm pretty sure MLB Slugfest was the only game that had fighting between players.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
A question for all of the long time Show players I had was, is there any kind of mound charging or anything like that?

the last game ive played where you can charge the mound was the ea sports MVP series i beleive. If you got hit with a pitch it will pop up for u to press triangle to charge and clear the benches. also on bad calls you could press triangle to get ozzie out to home plate with the umpire to argue.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
I'm pretty sure MLB Slugfest was the only game that had fighting between players.

MLB does not allow baseball games to include any sort of fighting or violence. It sucks, but it's their stance on trying not to promote violence. I really wish you could fight though, or at least argue.

For the Show, fighting automatically occurs if you have been beaned enough and it was intentional. They won't show the fighting though. They'll show the guy charge the mound and the camera goes away. For arguing calls, you're guy will automatically do it if he thinks it was really a bad call and then you get ejected. Happened in my 2nd game for RTTS.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
For the Show, fighting automatically occurs if you have been beaned enough and it was intentional. They won't show the fighting though. They'll show the guy charge the mound and the camera goes away. For arguing calls, you're guy will automatically do it if he thinks it was really a bad call and then you get ejected. Happened in my 2nd game for RTTS.

I mean you should be able to trigger your manager to come out and argue a play.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
I mean you should be able to trigger your manager to come out and argue a play.

True, but unfortunately it isn't available. MVP 05 had the perfect system in regards to that. Meh. Also, I played about all day on Sunday and I got traded twice unfortunately. I started hitting with Cincy, my original team and got my batting average up to .293. Then I got traded to Toronto and started to suck again because my agent said that I don't want to be there, they're a bottom feeder and they're deep at my position(3B/2B/SS). I eventually put it back together and then was traded for Ricky Nolasco of the Marlins in which I'm raking. My slugging is crazy high and I've finally learned how to take walks.

I'm really starting to dislike this game. My 4th year, I was a full time starter at 1B for the Blue Jays for most of the season, played well, hit .295, had 12 HR and 65ish RBI. Then they send me down to start my 5th year, and promptly trade me to the Marlins. On top of all that, they are giving me really stupid goals that are making my hitting statistics decrease.

And another thing that bothers me, every single time I see the 3rd base coach, it's a hit and run, and it's almost impossible to ever make contact with the ball. They throw me a breaking ball 9 feet off the plate, I swing anyway, and when the asshole runner is thrown out at 2nd, I get the failed hit and run. Yesterday I step up to the plate, runner on 2nd, 1 out, before I see a pitch, he gets picked off of 2nd. I failed my goal. -10. Awesome.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 05:45 PM)
I'm really starting to dislike this game. My 4th year, I was a full time starter at 1B for the Blue Jays for most of the season, played well, hit .295, had 12 HR and 65ish RBI. Then they send me down to start my 5th year, and promptly trade me to the Marlins. On top of all that, they are giving me really stupid goals that are making my hitting statistics decrease.

And another thing that bothers me, every single time I see the 3rd base coach, it's a hit and run, and it's almost impossible to ever make contact with the ball. They throw me a breaking ball 9 feet off the plate, I swing anyway, and when the asshole runner is thrown out at 2nd, I get the failed hit and run. Yesterday I step up to the plate, runner on 2nd, 1 out, before I see a pitch, he gets picked off of 2nd. I failed my goal. -10. Awesome.

It's called Franchise Mode. And it rules.

Especially with this pitching staff...

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 05:45 PM)

I haven't experienced the first thing yet, but the 2nd thing is really really bothersome. Whenever it tells you about the coaching signs from my experience, the only play they pick is the hit and run. And I've had the same thing as well. It's always on the first pitch, and 95% of the time, the breaking ball is in the dirt, at your eyes, or a slider 40 feet away. And also, half the time, the runner gets picked off or thrown out at 2nd, even if you swing through the pitch.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
If you're doing a RTTS, and you get placed on the Blue Jays, just start another one. It's just horrible. They suck. Their stadium sucks.

Kenny traded me to the Orioles for Chad Moeller halfway through my first year in the minors. I got called up mid-way through the 2011 season, won the rookie of the year and a World Series Title, good times.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 04:19 AM)
the last game ive played where you can charge the mound was the ea sports MVP series i beleive. If you got hit with a pitch it will pop up for u to press triangle to charge and clear the benches. also on bad calls you could press triangle to get ozzie out to home plate with the umpire to argue.

I don't remember this, but I wish I did. I used to play MVP all the time but I never beaned guys that often.