Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 08:36 AM)
Taking the wife to see "Eat, Pray, Love", tonight. Hoping to eat up a solid dinner beforehand, praying that the movie is ok, and gonna get some sweet lovin' out of this.

lol, zing!

My fiance read the book and loved it. Though, I suspect it's because she liked the idea of every day woman deciding "hey screw this real job thing" to travel the world, eating good food and finding spiritual peace (and some dudes in the process). Who wouldn't like that?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 08:51 AM)
lol, zing!

My fiance read the book and loved it. Though, I suspect it's because she liked the idea of every day woman deciding "hey screw this real job thing" to travel the world, eating good food and finding spiritual peace (and some dudes in the process). Who wouldn't like that?

Especially that last part. :wub:

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 02:27 AM)
For those of you who have seen The Other Guys, are there any real inappropriate parts in it? Like lets say someone 13-15 years old was to go see it with their family, would there be anything pretty questionable in the movie for a person of that age?

I don't care about language, I doubt that's big in it.. but other things..

You should be fine. I can't remember anything that I wouldn't let anyone that age see.

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 02:27 AM)
For those of you who have seen The Other Guys, are there any real inappropriate parts in it? Like lets say someone 13-15 years old was to go see it with their family, would there be anything pretty questionable in the movie for a person of that age?

I don't care about language, I doubt that's big in it.. but other things..

You're aware it's rated PG-13, right?

It's fine.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
You're aware it's rated PG-13, right?

It's fine.

Yeah I know, I just don't want someone talking about a blow job or making gestures of stuff like that with my little sister there..

The problem with Eat, Pray, Love is simply that there's very little conflict in the story.

Unless you define conflict as Liz Gilbert's "inner unhappiness" and lack of contentment.

I also think it's close to impossible to express mystical/spirital experiences (the Indian ashram part) without seeming hokey cinematically.

A co-worker kept on talking so much about this book that I basically agreed to read it in order to get her to stop raving about it...it wasn't horrible, but the middle section (maybe because I'm just not into meditating at all, although I am going to Mount Everest in two months if that counts) was so boring I skipped over it entirely.

If you enjoy travelling, it's probably watchable, but more of a DVD/netflix movie and not worth the ticket price, unless you absolutely miss seeing Julia Roberts leading a movie after so long.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)
The problem with Eat, Pray, Love is simply that there's very little conflict in the story.

Unless you define conflict as Liz Gilbert's "inner unhappiness" and lack of contentment.

I also think it's close to impossible to express mystical/spirital experiences (the Indian ashram part) without seeming hokey cinematically.

A co-worker kept on talking so much about this book that I basically agreed to read it in order to get her to stop raving about it...it wasn't horrible, but the middle section (maybe because I'm just not into meditating at all, although I am going to Mount Everest in two months if that counts) was so boring I skipped over it entirely.

If you enjoy travelling, it's probably watchable, but more of a DVD/netflix movie and not worth the ticket price, unless you absolutely miss seeing Julia Roberts leading a movie after so long.

Chick flick = nor real conflict.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 08:36 AM)
Taking the wife to see "Eat, Pray, Love", tonight. Hoping to eat up a solid dinner beforehand, praying that the movie is ok, and gonna get some sweet lovin' out of this.

Well...?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)

I, too, took in this unspectacular film over the weekend. My wife was a big fan of the book, so I and 120 of my closest female friends went to see it on Friday night.

First, I can sit through some slow movies. This sucker takes the cake in terms of boredom. As one of the few who hasn't read the book, the main character (Liz) comes of fas someone who instead of confronting her issues runs away and bangs hot guys, then with her endless wealth flees overseas to forgive herself for dumping all over her husband.

Now, the wife says that in the book, the husband was much more of a dick, and things were explained better. What I got out of this movie were a lot of really nice to look at locations, a pretentious b****, and a really solid acting job by Richard Jenkins.

In terms of films I've sat through in entertainment value just to be a good sport, I'd rather watch "The Notebook" or "Dear John" than this one. It was just really slow and boring.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
I, too, took in this unspectacular film over the weekend. My wife was a big fan of the book, so I and 120 of my closest female friends went to see it on Friday night.

First, I can sit through some slow movies. This sucker takes the cake in terms of boredom. As one of the few who hasn't read the book, the main character (Liz) comes of fas someone who instead of confronting her issues runs away and bangs hot guys, then with her endless wealth flees overseas to forgive herself for dumping all over her husband.

Now, the wife says that in the book, the husband was much more of a dick, and things were explained better. What I got out of this movie were a lot of really nice to look at locations, a pretentious b****, and a really solid acting job by Richard Jenkins.

In terms of films I've sat through in entertainment value just to be a good sport, I'd rather watch "The Notebook" or "Dear John" than this one. It was just really slow and boring.

Well, at least they had perfect casting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 07:51 AM)
It is intentionally never made fully clear why the world went bad, though in the book, the hints seem to point mostly towards nuclear war.

Not sure what you mean by a family following them - I don't recall that from the book (haven't seen the film).

South, and more importantly, to the water - that was what kept them going, though I think it was always inentionally unclear as to why exactly they chose that path.

I was disappointed in the movie as a whole, was really looking forward to it.

Went to the south for water, that is correct. I also don't recall a family following them, they just happened to be there at the end to pick the boy up. Nuclear war sounds right.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 01:38 AM)
Just watched The Terminal, I thought that was fantastic.

I liked that movie when I saw it in the theatre then tried watching it again and couldn't sit through it. Good the first time but no rewatchability factor.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)
I liked that movie when I saw it in the theatre then tried watching it again and couldn't sit through it. Good the first time but no rewatchability factor.

Couldn't be stated any better.