How many games will this team win in 2010?

NorthSideSox72

How many games will the 2010 Sox win?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How many games will the 2010 Sox win?

• <72
    • 72-76
    • 77-81
    • 82-86
    • 87-91
    • 92-96
    • >96

I know I met get flamed for this but we have the pitching staff to win 100 games. If we can win 4 games a week on average, it certainly is possible. While I don't think they will win 100 games, it is possible. A realistic win total though is about 87-91 I think.

Not flamed, but I certainly disagree. I think the Twins are the overwhelming favorites to win the division and we know we have to win the division to make the playoffs. We won't be winning the wildcard I don't think.

I love our rotation but we know Mark gives up runs on occasion and we know Danks/Floyd is not yet ultra consistent, though I think Danks is almost there and Floyd not far behind. Freddy is hittable. Peavy hopefully will be a god.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
I know I met get flamed for this but we have the pitching staff to win 100 games. If we can win 4 games a week on average, it certainly is possible. While I don't think they will win 100 games, it is possible. A realistic win total though is about 87-91 I think.

...and the offense to win 75. I have us at 82-85 wins.

QUOTE (daggins @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
With all the questions surrounding the offense, there are still issues with the SP and bullpen that could sabotage the season. Peavy doesn't live up to expectations, Jenks is hurt or ineffective, Putz the same, Garcia is lousy/injured, Hudson isn't ready, Pena stinks... there's a decent chance of all those factors going wrong. Combined w other problems, I don't see much more than 80-82 wins.

There are all sorts of things to doubt on this team, but I still don't understand the mindset of "questions". Every player is a question, every season, on every team. Any player could stink, or have a career year.

So the key is looking at the real question marks, the players that are actually up in the air - guys like Rios, TCQ, Garcia, Putz, Jenks. These are players who we either have specific concerns about, or who have had an erratic or poor performance in recent years. Just saying "Hudson isn't ready" can be said of every single minor league pitcher in baseball, just as "Pena stinks" can apply to every single middle reliever in baseball, and therefore its not really a "question mark" at all.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
There are all sorts of things to doubt on this team, but I still don't understand the mindset of "questions". Every player is a question, every season, on every team. Any player could stink, or have a career year.

So the key is looking at the real question marks, the players that are actually up in the air - guys like Rios, TCQ, Garcia, Putz, Jenks. These are players who we either have specific concerns about, or who have had an erratic or poor performance in recent years. Just saying "Hudson isn't ready" can be said of every single minor league pitcher in baseball, just as "Pena stinks" can apply to every single middle reliever in baseball, and therefore its not really a "question mark" at all.

It's true that anyone can get hurt or have a down year. Still, just by looking at past performance you can see some teams are more predictable than others. TCQ is injury prone. Can he stay healthy? Rios was awful last year. Can he rebound to his norms? Are you really sure that Pierre is going to be the dynamic leadoff man you need? I'm not. What about Jenks? Can Teahen at least be average? Don't even get me started about Jones. Yes this team has a lot of question marks and things have to fall just right or forget about the playoffs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 02:16 AM)
Not flamed, but I certainly disagree. I think the Twins are the overwhelming favorites to win the division and we know we have to win the division to make the playoffs. We won't be winning the wildcard I don't think.

I love our rotation but we know Mark gives up runs on occasion and we know Danks/Floyd is not yet ultra consistent, though I think Danks is almost there and Floyd not far behind. Freddy is hittable. Peavy hopefully will be a god.

I dont think in anyway are the Twins the overwhelming favorites, slight favorites I can agree upon. Fact is, every season usually a few team that surprise you so who knows the wildcard can come from the Central too, all I do know is with the pitching staff this team should be competitive and looking forward to a good season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:16 AM)

No team whose closer-by-committee includes Jon Rauch is an overwhelming favorite, IMO. That may be oversimplifying things a bit, but their rotation is by no means dominant and their bullpen will be infinitely weaker at the back end with their lock-down closer being replaced by the 4 they've got going. They're very touchable, as are we.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
By the way, looking at the poll results, it seems like the crowd is saying about 88 wins.

Ten posts into the opening game thread that figure will be down somewhere around 25 wins.

Now that I've mulled it over more I'm changing my number to 85. Our offense is usually pretty anemic in April and we struggle to win consistently down the stretch to close out a season.

I'm hoping this year is completely different. We can't have a replay of the past couple seasons. Less mediocre at best play; let's set the tone and win some series and heaven forbid sweep some series. Let's have some winning streaks of note this year, White Sox.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 05:36 AM)
Its hard to fathom how many things would have to go wrong for this to be a sub-.500 team.

It's certainly not difficult to fathom Quentin, Jones, and Putz all missing significant time with injuries. It's also not difficult to fathom Rios playing another season below his career average and PK having a down year due to age and/or nagging injuries. If those five things happen, you're likely looking at a mediocre 80-win team. This team is solid on paper, but there seems (to me, at least) to be less margin for error than the average 25-man roster.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
Now that I've mulled it over more I'm changing my number to 85. Our offense is usually pretty anemic in April and we struggle to win consistently down the stretch to close out a season.

Logically, I agree with this. But my gut tells me that they either win 90 games and take the Central, or will bomb after the ASB and fail to win 80 games. This will be a repeat of either '08 or '09: a solid division-winner or a weak third-place squad. And I imagine that this will mostly depend on the health of Quentin and Putz, and how well Rios rebounds from last year.

Edited by WCSox

• 6 months later...
QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
Late 80s... I'm gonna go with 88.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
I am taking 88 as well.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
I'd put the Sox at 88 Wins with a 45% chance of winning the division. For the record, i'd have the Twins around 89 wins. Not a huge disparity between the two teams, which is why having an actual DH would help.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
I am feeling 88 wins

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
88 and the division. this is a shot in the dark since I haven't really paid much attention to what the Twins, Tigers and Indians did aside from the big moves this offseason.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
By the way, looking at the poll results, it seems like the crowd is saying about 88 wins.

Idiots around here don't know jack about baseball

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
My concern is our 2nd half swoons that we always seem to have. Even in 2005 our intensity seemed to drop. I don't know if it's conditioning, Ozzie, the players, or what but I don't think we can afford a lackluster 2nd half with our offensive holes.

I hate you.