Final Four

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
Yeah, but it's Butler. It's the Hoosiers story played out in real life. Sure it's not that extreme, but no casual fan knows anything about Butler.

I dunno, upsets/special stories are what made the tournament what it is. As viewers we remember awesome performances and huge upsets. I think Butler winning it all would be nearly as memorable as a 16 beating a 1.

I think the game would actually have lackluster ratings, and only lackluster because of Duke. If it turns out to be WV versus Butler, I think it will be one of the worst rated games in recent memory.

As for Butler, I have to say, my heart goes out a bit to the slimy, sweaty, bug-eyed AJ Graves a bit....

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
I think the game would actually have lackluster ratings, and only lackluster because of Duke. .

How common is it for the championship game to happen on MLB's opening day? That can't be good for ratings.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
Every year?

Still remember watching our 1-0 win over Cleveland to start the wonderful 05 season at Murphys in Champaign. I had gotten there at 11 AM prepping for the NC game that night. Damn you Sean May.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
Still remember watching our 1-0 win over Cleveland to start the wonderful 05 season at Murphys in Champaign. I had gotten there at 11 AM prepping for the NC game that night. Damn you Sean May.

I remember listen to the Sox on the radio as far as I could on the way to Indy for the finals the year I went.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)

Shh, or Sean will eat you.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
Yeah, but it's Butler. It's the Hoosiers story played out in real life. Sure it's not that extreme, but no casual fan knows anything about Butler.

I dunno, upsets/special stories are what made the tournament what it is. As viewers we remember awesome performances and huge upsets. I think Butler winning it all would be nearly as memorable as a 16 beating a 1.

I agree with your thought process, although I don't think Butler is quite as big an underdog as some people think. This is a team that just about everybody had pegged as a legitimate national title contender next year if Gordon Hayward came back (although that's very iffy now). They are just a year early more than anything.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 03:21 AM)
I agree with your thought process, although I don't think Butler is quite as big an underdog as some people think. This is a team that just about everybody had pegged as a legitimate national title contender next year if Gordon Hayward came back (although that's very iffy now). They are just a year early more than anything.

Yeah, and in the preseason AP poll, they were ranked #11, so its not like they came out of nowhere. Looking at the other teams, Michigan State was #2, West Virginia #8, & Duke #9.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 02:21 AM)

They were the one preseason final four team I got correct. That's one more correct than I got on my actual bracket this year. :stick

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 01:09 AM)
This MSU/Butler game is horrendous and indicative of how awful college basketball is this year.

Haha, I just wrote the same thing. There's two good players on the court....Hayward and Summers. Matt Howard on Butler is the worst "good" player in the history of sports.

BTW I love how defensive college basketball fans that aren't big NBA fans can be about the quality of college basketball. I started a thread on an Illinois board about how terrible the quality of play has been throughout this tournament and got attacked by people saying this has been one of the greatest tournaments ever. The first day was amazing and there has been 3 or 4 good games since then but nearly every game last weekend was horrible.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
BTW I love how defensive college basketball fans that aren't big NBA fans can be about the quality of college basketball. I started a thread on an Illinois board about how terrible the quality of play has been throughout this tournament and got attacked by people saying this has been one of the greatest tournaments ever. The first day was amazing and there has been 3 or 4 good games since then but nearly every game last weekend was horrible.

I love college basketball more than anything, but this is terrible. Summers is a decent player, but he looks like an NBA guy compared to the rest of the horrible talent on the court.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 07:27 PM)
I love college basketball more than anything, but this is terrible. Summers is a decent player, but he looks like an NBA guy compared to the rest of the horrible talent on the court.

I love college basketball as well, but this tournament other than the first day has been pretty brutal to watch. The only good games last weekend were Xavier/KSU, MSU/Tenn, and Duke Baylor. The rest of the games were brutal to watch and really after the first day of the tournament the first weekend was pretty boring as well (other than KU/Northern Iowa, MSU/Maryland, and a couple of others).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)
I love college basketball as well, but this tournament other than the first day has been pretty brutal to watch. The only good games last weekend were Xavier/KSU, MSU/Tenn, and Duke Baylor. The rest of the games were brutal to watch and really after the first day of the tournament the first weekend was pretty boring as well (other than KU/Northern Iowa, MSU/Maryland, and a couple of others).

Yep...time to root for Butler on Monday night.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 07:26 PM)

It has been one of the best ever judging by upsets and last second shots. Nobody cares that every player isnt pro caliber since its college sports, you are stupid if you expect every game to be a showcase of highly skilled players.

MSU got homered pretty good in that game, but I think either team will be stomped by the Duke/WVU winner.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 12:32 AM)
It has been one of the best ever judging by upsets and last second shots. Nobody cares that every player isnt pro caliber since its college sports, you are stupid if you expect every game to be a showcase of highly skilled players.

Yes, all we want is the games to be close and Gus involved.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 07:33 PM)
Yes, all we want is the games to be close and Gus involved.

Close games and upsets are 100% the reason the NCAA tourney is so popular, nobody watches it because there may be pro-caliber players in the game. Some of the best NCAA games of all time featured players that never sniffed an NBA career.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)

MSU got homered pretty good in that game, but I think either team will be stomped by the Duke/WVU winner.

I expect that once you get to the Sweet 16 and beyond that the games will be played at a pretty highly level and they are year in and year out. There have been very few really good games after the first round. The first day of the tournament was a ton of fun and since then there hasn't been much to get excited about. Most of the 2nd round games weren't close, the Sweet 16 games were terrible for the most part and 2 of the 4 elite games were fun to watch. Add in a terrible start to the final 4 and this hasn't been a great tourney.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 07:35 PM)
Close games and upsets are 100% the reason the NCAA tourney is so popular, nobody watches it because there may be pro-caliber players in the game. Some of the best NCAA games of all time featured players that never sniffed an NBA career.

See I guess my problem with this is that a close game doesn't make a game enjoyable for me to watch. This game was absolutely terrible to watch even though it was close. The fact that the last minute might be entertaining doesn't erase the 39 minutes of garbage that I had to watch before that.