THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
That's what Rios does. He's an extremely gifted outfielder. I wasn't surprised at all when he made that catch. Anybody still think Andruw Jones is our best defensive OF?

I think Andruw Jones is a better CF.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

God do I hate ESPN.

Nomar said on Baseball Tonight that there is good diversity in their lineup. He said we have a great thing at the top of the order with Alexei Ramirez. He also said "Juan Pierre, who is great in that 2-hole."

Then Bobby Valentine said that Beckham will remind people a ton of Nomar, and that he'll bring up the bottom of the order.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:37 AM)
God do I hate ESPN.

Nomar said on Baseball Tonight that there is good diversity in their lineup. He said we have a great thing at the top of the order with Alexei Ramirez. He also said "Juan Pierre, who is great in that 2-hole."

Then Bobby Valentine said that Beckham will remind people a ton of Nomar, and that he'll bring up the bottom of the order.

I also saw this. Looks like Nomar had some nervousness going on.

LOL. They just talked about the Sox for a couple minutes giving us love for the strong pitching, then Nomar and Bobby Valentine gave love to our hitters.....sort of...

Nomar: "With that lineup, they got Alexei and Pierre at the top. You know, Pierre is an excellent 2-hitter."

Bobby: "And Gordon Beckham is remind a lot of people of a Nomar Garciaparra. And Beckham will really bring up the bottom of that lineup"

:fight

Alexei at the top? Pierre in the 2-hole? Beckham hitting in the bottom of the lineup? I appreciate them dedicating a few minutes for this team, but wow, the boxscore alone would prove these wrong.

Also to note, Nomar gave Beckham the nickname "The silent killer"

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:37 AM)
God do I hate ESPN.

Ack. I just made a thread about this. Whoops, my bad.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:40 AM)
LOL. They just talked about the Sox for a couple minutes giving us love for the strong pitching, then Nomar and Bobby Valentine gave love to our hitters.....sort of...

Nomar: "With that lineup, they got Alexei and Pierre at the top. You know, Pierre is an excellent 2-hitter."

Bobby: "And Gordon Beckham is remind a lot of people of a Nomar Garciaparra. And Beckham will really bring up the bottom of that lineup"

:fight

Alexei at the top? Pierre in the 2-hole? Beckham hitting in the bottom of the lineup? I appreciate them dedicating a few minutes for this team, but wow, the boxscore alone would prove these wrong.

Also to note, Nomar gave Beckham the nickname "The silent killer"

In MLB 2K10, Kruk said that Ramirez was going to be a top of the order hitter last year, but sucked too much so he had to be put in the bottom of the order.

I think there's something around ESPN that thinks Alexei's a top of the order hitter. I don't know why.

That's what Rios does. He's an extremely gifted outfielder. I wasn't surprised at all when he made that catch. Anybody still think Andruw Jones is our best defensive OF?

How would we rank Rios as a CF in the AL, MLB?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:44 AM)

1. Gutierrez

2. Upton

3. Jones

4. Cameron

5. Granderson

6. Rios

5th or 6th is appropriate I'd think.

BTW Jones, is Adam Jones, not Andruw.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 11:47 PM)
1. Gutierrez

2. Upton

3. Jones

4. Cameron

5. Granderson

6. Rios

5th or 6th is appropriate I'd think.

BTW Jones, is Adam Jones, not Andruw.

I would put Cameron before Jones personally (still don't think people know he is still damn good out there) but all in all, I agree with this though a now healthy Sizemore might thump Granderson off the list.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
God do I hate ESPN.

Their show an hour ago was better informed and that is not saying much. Kruk changed his pick from the Twins to us because of our pitching and Nathan's injury. Valentine picked us all along I believe though.

Edited by SoxAce

At the game today. Not only did the team looked dialed in, but the crowd was really into it and most people stayed for the 9th even in a 6-0 lead. Hopefully signs of good things to come. Putz looked good and Thornton looked unhittable. Kotsay 5th could be a potential disaster, maybe Rios can start off well and take his place? I would almost welcome 4 righties in a row Becks, Q, PK, Rios/Jones if need be. It would be really nice if Teahen could start hitting and maybe be moved up, but we will see. Even if they start off well, acquiring a lefty to hit 5th may be necessary down the stretch.

From Fangraphs:

Link: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/white-sox-stea-rios

Rios is having a down year defensively according to UZR (-.7) but in the last three seasons in right field he’s been one of the best defensive outfielders in the game – +15.5 last season, +9 the two seasons prior to that. The Fielding Bible also gives him high marks — +43 plays over the last three years, the 3rd highest total for right fielders behind Franklin Gutierrez and Randy Winn. He has been good to superb in right field, so I think it’s safe to say Rios will at least be average patrolling center in the Cell. His most similar fielders in the Scouting Report by the Fans is littered with center fielders.

Since he has been in RF I think patrolling CF should not be too difficult should it? I mean I read yesterday that he takes really good routes to the ball and gets good jumps.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:55 AM)
I would put Cameron before Jones personally (still don't think people know he is still damn good out there) but all in all, I agree with this though a now healthy Sizemore might thump Granderson off the list.

I dunno, Adam Jones makes it look effortless out there. Maybe Cameron in his prime, but he has to have lost a step by now.

Great game. Everything went our way. We hit, ran, pitched and defended well. I'm glad to see the offense carry over from the Braves series and I hope that this is going to set the trend for the season. However, it was just the AAA Cleveland Indians.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:44 AM)

Hard to truly say. As Rios has been primarily a RF. But he has the speed/range/athleticism/arm to play an above average CF. No doubt in my mind about that. "Death to all things flying " is the best CF on earth. Then you've got Upton, Jones and Cameron. There aren't any elite defensive CFs in the NL, IMO. You've got some good ones. Kemp, McClouth. I think Rasmus and Fowler will be good ones. So I guess Rios would be in my top 5 overall were he to play a full season there.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 11:57 PM)
I dunno, Adam Jones makes it look effortless out there. Maybe Cameron in his prime, but he has to have lost a step by now.

He was a stud in 2008, but was actually pretty bad last season, yet somehow won a gold glove out of it. Cameron is just really good, and like our own Andruw Jones said "People say I lost a step. I probably did, so what I'll just do is take one step back" since he plays a very shallow CF. Cameron has adjusted nicely himself these last two years.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:56 AM)
From Fangraphs:

Link: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/white-sox-stea-rios

Rios is having a down year defensively according to UZR (-.7) but in the last three seasons in right field he’s been one of the best defensive outfielders in the game – +15.5 last season, +9 the two seasons prior to that. The Fielding Bible also gives him high marks — +43 plays over the last three years, the 3rd highest total for right fielders behind Franklin Gutierrez and Randy Winn. He has been good to superb in right field, so I think it’s safe to say Rios will at least be average patrolling center in the Cell. His most similar fielders in the Scouting Report by the Fans is littered with center fielders.

Since he has been in RF I think patrolling CF should not be too difficult should it? I mean I read yesterday that he takes really good routes to the ball and gets good jumps.

It wouldn't be a problem for him at all. In fact, his value is twice that of a CF as it is as a RF. I hope Ozzie realizes this. Though I'm not holding my breath.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 01:03 AM)
He was a stud in 2008, but was actually pretty bad last season, yet somehow won a gold glove out of it. Cameron is just really good, and like our own Andruw Jones said "People say I lost a step. I probably did, so what I'll just do is take one step back" since he plays a very shallow CF. Cameron has adjusted nicely himself these last two years.

Sorry, I just can't buy that. I like UZR. It's the best defensive tool we currently have. But I refuse to believe this. Adam Jones can GO GET IT.

It wouldn't be a problem for him at all. In fact, his value is twice that of a CF as it is as a RF. I hope Ozzie realizes this. Though I'm not holding my breath.

OT, but is patrolling CF that much harder because you have more real esate to cover? I mean with LF/RF you gotta worry about those funny corner bounces, the walls and in CF it is pretty much open field except for warning track and fence/wall. Unless you have something like that ridiculous mound in the Astros park.