THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

southsider2k5

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:58 AM)
Great game. Everything went our way. We hit, ran, pitched and defended well. I'm glad to see the offense carry over from the Braves series and I hope that this is going to set the trend for the season. However, it was just the AAA Cleveland Indians.

Every year there are Indian apologists - people who think Shapiro is some kind of SABR genius even though he couldn't win when he had Lee, Sabathia, Hafner, and Sizemore in their prime. This is why he won GM of the year in 05. Rob Neyer believes the ALC shakes out like this

AL CENTRAL

1. Twins - 85

2. Indians - 81

3. White Sox - 77

4. Tigers - 76

5. Royals - 72

The Twins would have been big favorites if they hadn't lost Joe Nathan. Now they're just favorites. And yes, the Indians went 67-95 last year. But somebody has to be this year's big surprise, right? Fausto Carmona, Travis Hafner and Grady Sizemore all played exceptionally well in spring training. The Indians have a new manager. I'm just saying, don't be shocked if they do something amazing.

QUOTE (everafan @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)
Every year there are Indian apologists - people who think Shapiro is some kind of SABR genius even though he couldn't win when he had Lee, Sabathia, Hafner, and Sizemore in their prime. This is why he won GM of the year in 05. Rob Neyer believes the ALC shakes out like this

AL CENTRAL

1. Twins - 85

2. Indians - 81

3. White Sox - 77

4. Tigers - 76

5. Royals - 72

The Twins would have been big favorites if they hadn't lost Joe Nathan. Now they're just favorites. And yes, the Indians went 67-95 last year. But somebody has to be this year's big surprise, right? Fausto Carmona, Travis Hafner and Grady Sizemore all played exceptionally well in spring training. The Indians have a new manager. I'm just saying, don't be shocked if they do something amazing.

I'd be more than shocked if they did something "amazing" this year. I think they're looking good for 2012, though.

AL CENTRAL

1. Twins - 85

2. Indians - 81

3. White Sox - 77

4. Tigers - 76

5. Royals - 72

Mark Shapiro is my least favorite GM. He sucks, yet is hailed as a genius. He also pronounces my last name oddly.

AL CENTRAL

1. Twins - 85

2. Indians - 81

3. White Sox - 77

4. Tigers - 76

5. Royals - 72

Shapiro is no SABR genius. I didn't even know he was SABR.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
If Thornton had that same stuff and command all season, I don't think anybody would mind him being our permanent closer. Wow.

I wouldn't mind either if they got another LHP to replace his BP spot.

Having Randy Williams as the only other lefty is rough.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
If Thornton had that same stuff and command all season, I don't think anybody would mind him being our permanent closer. Wow.

If Jenks can produce basically what he has over the past few seasons, you leave Thornton where he is. He's argubly the best lefty set-up guy in baseball right now, and it shows how good that Borchard for Thornton deal was back in the day.

'The catch felt better than the homer because that's the first time I've made a catch to end a game like that,'' Rios said. ''It was pretty nice.

''Last year when I got traded here, I didn't know the guys as a family. Now that I started the year with them, I got to know them better, and it feels like home now.''

Didn't want to start a new thread on this, but it was a nice bit at the end of the Sun Times game story on our opening win. Nice opening game for Rios. Hopefully the good feeling he has will carry over into a great start this season.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
So what is the chance the game tomorrow actually takes place? I got these tickets so long ago and was so pumped to go. Screw this rain.

SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Don't say that, I have tickets too. :(

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
Juan Uribe's catch in game 4 was pretty damn good as well even with the 3 game cushion in the series.

I agree, 3 game cushion or not, if we're going with situation being involved, Uribe's play is tops for me

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
It really is a great feeling. Pitch a shut out on opening day and be able to come back with Jake Peavy.

I think it's amazing to think that they open the season with a 3 game series and still get to have Danks open against the Twins

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 07:21 AM)
I think it's amazing to think that they open the season with a 3 game series and still get to have Danks open against the Twins

Isn't Danks pitching against Cleveland tomorrow?

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
Weird.

No L-R-L-R format by Ozzie, eh?

It's still there if you change your reference point. In fact, it's pretty much always there as long as you separate Danks and Buehrle