Do you like Mark Kotsay when he's not starting?

Quin

Do you like Mark Kotsay when he's not starting?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mark Kotsay when he's not starting?

• Yes, he's a good bat of the bench.
    • No, all he is good for is his wife.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 11:23 PM)
Kotsay is a great bench player, but the starting DH in the 5 hole? Are you f***ing kidding me? This lineup is a total joke. I love Ozzie, but as an in-game (who should bat, who should pitch, hit and run etc) manager, he sucks bad.

So if he sucks so bad in game what is there to like? Do you think he is cute? Or what is it... funny? I just don't get it.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 11:25 PM)
So if he sucks so bad in game what is there to like? Do you think he is cute? Or what is it... funny? I just don't get it.

I don't understand this either. I hear it all the time. "Ozzie is a bad in-game manager." Is he spiritual or something?

Edited by Jordan4life

I like kotsay when he is starting daily.

I like him a lot for that matter.

What i forgot to to mention is that i like kotsay a lot when he is starting on another team.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 11:27 PM)
I don't understand this either. I hear it all the time. "Ozzie is a bad in-game manager." Is he spiritual or something?

What don't you understand about the term? As a manager, you must make decisions during the game (in game) and deal with things while before and after the game.

He can't handle a bullpen for s***. His use of pinch hitters is a joke. I'm so sick of his lefty/righty BS. That's all classified as "in game." He cannot make a lineup to save his life.

On the other hand, Ozzie is great at managing while there is no game going on. He is exceptional at dealing with the media and keeping the pressure of his players. He is a straight shooter when it comes to the game and his players. He is very good at motivating his players and getting the best out of them.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 11:51 PM)
What don't you understand about the term? As a manager, you must make decisions during the game (in game) and deal with things while before and after the game.

He can't handle a bullpen for s***. His use of pinch hitters is a joke. I'm so sick of his lefty/righty BS. That's all classified as "in game." He cannot make a lineup to save his life.

On the other hand, Ozzie is great at managing while there is no game going on. He is exceptional at dealing with the media and keeping the pressure of his players. He is a straight shooter when it comes to the game and his players. He is very good at motivating his players and getting the best out of them.

So that's the criteria for managing a major league baseball team? Sign me up! I can do that for a lot less money than what they're paying Ozzie.

In answer to your question ... I'm not a big Kotsay fan but I'm not a big Jones fan either.

I'd rather see some young guy in the minors be our DH. I don't care who he is really, just not either one of those 2 guys.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 11:11 PM)
In answer to your question ... I'm not a big Kotsay fan but I'm not a big Jones fan either.

I'd rather see some young guy in the minors be our DH. I don't care who he is really, just not either one of those 2 guys.

That's brilliant.

You don't care who it is, so it could be anyone, regardless of potential....just so it isn't the guys we currently have...

I absolutely love that sort of attitude.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 11:54 PM)
So that's the criteria for managing a major league baseball team? Sign me up! I can do that for a lot less money than what they're paying Ozzie.

To be fair, I think that's a hell of a lot harder to do than people would really think. Whether it seems like it or not, I'm sure even guys like Jayson Nix and Randy Williams have egos, but compared to guys like Quentin, Rios, Konerko, and Peavy, their egos appear non-existent; that means he has to control 25 egos. To have not only the respect of that many egos, but also having the ability to control that many egos is something not many people can do. You have to have exceptional leadership skills to manage a baseball team, and Ozzie has that. Beyond even that, these guys get criticized and blasted for failing to execute their jobs, even when there is an explanation a lot of times. Ozzie not only recognizes this, but he will take the blame and the stress of these guys when necessary. And, when it is necessary to call these players out, he will do that. I know personally I wouldn't have the balls to call out players to the media (for millions and millions of people to see and read).

There are a few things I think I could manage within the context of the game itself better than Ozzie, but he's a far superior manager than anyone on here. There's nothing you can measure it by, but respect is a huge issue when it comes to managing in baseball. What Ozzie really, really needs is a great bench coach, and that is definitely not Joey Cora.

Its the time of the season for throwing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks. I'd like to see Jones in the DH spot tomorrow but on the other hand, the more chances Kotsay has to fail means he will be out of the DH role faster. Like with Wise last year.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 12:22 AM)
Its the time of the season for throwing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks. I'd like to see Jones in the DH spot tomorrow but on the other hand, the more chances Kotsay has to fail means he will be out of the DH role faster. Like with Wise last year.

UNTRUE.

Ozzie has a really hard time taking people out of their roles when he establishes them there. And I'm pretty sure Wise only came out of the starting lineup because he got hurt.