Lets discuss DH platooning

Princess Dye

It kind of surprised me that in the game thread everyone seemed to be reading today's game as a reason to play Jones everyday at DH.

Isn't it much the opposite? Each guy got it done against the kind of pitcher they're supposed to get it done against, under Ozzie's plan.

Right now I'm happy with Jones starting vs. lefties and maybe select righties. In wanting this, I'm looking at his last few years of production.

For Jones to accomplish what everyone wants against righties, he'd have to turn it back to 2006. I hope it happens but I am all for having them share it til he further proves he's a revamped player.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 09:10 PM)
There should be no platoon. Jones shoud DH/LF/RF, Kotsay should be an off-the-bench option, and other starters like Q, Kong and Pierre should rotate in when they need a day off.

Haven't some of us been "beating this dead horse" enough already? For me it's quite simple; Jones has the capacity to be a big run producing threat and presence in the middle of the order. Kotsay does not have that potential. Who knows what either of them will actally do, but this should be a no brainer.

This team needs a power threat in the number 5 spot, and Kotsay is not capable of filling that need. He is a terrific bench player, and left handed pinch hitter, but he's not a middle of the order hitter.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (SockMe @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
I wanted Jones before the season started and I think he proved himself tonight.

Because he had a multi-homer game? Because he was great against a terrible left handed pitcher?

I'd say that this is one game, and he has a hell of a lot more work to do before I consider him anything more than a viable bench option. I think it's entirely possible and even likely that he will be just fine as an everyday player, but you don't prove yourself in one night. That's a bit ridiculous.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
I think everyone wants Jones in the lineup whether it is DH, LF, or RF when Q is DH'ing.

I think everyone wants Kotsay to pinch hit and play 1B when Paulie needs a day off.

Defiantly.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
Because he had a multi-homer game? Because he was great against a terrible left handed pitcher?

I'd say that this is one game, and he has a hell of a lot more work to do before I consider him anything more than a viable bench option. I think it's entirely possible and even likely that he will be just fine as an everyday player, but you don't prove yourself in one night. That's a bit ridiculous.

Ide say that he would face off against a lot more average to bad pitchers than he would good to great ones over the course of the season.. either way, I get what you are saying but Jones should definitely be getting more playing time than Kotsay is in terms of starting in the lineup..

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)

You don't prove yourself in one night, and Jones may be nothing more than a viable bench option on most teams. But on our team, he should be playing the vast majority of the time, because the other option is Mark Kotsay. At least with Andruw, there is hope he might overachieve and be useful.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 06:21 AM)
You don't prove yourself in one night, and Jones may be nothing more than a viable bench option on most teams. But on our team, he should be playing the vast majority of the time, because the other option is Mark Kotsay. At least with Andruw, there is hope he might overachieve and be useful.

I'm with you, with one other thing, Jones in the lineup I imagine helps our D out a lot more. I'm anxious to see what the data would read, but when Jones takes out one of either Quentin or Pierre in LF/RF he adds at least an arm upgrade. And an OF of PIerre/Rios/Jones is our most optimal in terms of getting to the ball. Quentin took an absolutely horrid route to a double today.

Kotsay really doesn't provide that benefit. Nor does he have the upside, as you said.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 01:25 AM)
I'm with you, with one other thing, Jones in the lineup I imagine helps our D out a lot more. I'm anxious to see what the data would read, but when Jones takes out one of either Quentin or Pierre in LF/RF he adds at least an arm upgrade. And an OF of PIerre/Rios/Jones is our most optimal in terms of getting to the ball. Quentin took an absolutely horrid route to a double today.

Kotsay really doesn't provide that benefit. Nor does he have the upside, as you said.

I think ideally, you play Rios in CF everyday, Jones in RF close to everyday, and DH/LF Quentin and Pierre in whatever order you want. Kotsay can get a spot start at DH/1B/RF to spell somebody every once in a while, but that's it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 01:25 AM)

Jones adds a range upgrade in comparison to Quentin and I'm willing to say that Jones might have similar range to Pierre in left.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 01:32 AM)
I think ideally, you play Rios in CF everyday, Jones in RF close to everyday, and DH/LF Quentin and Pierre in whatever order you want. Kotsay can get a spot start at DH/1B/RF to spell somebody every once in a while, but that's it.

I think this is where the rotating DH could help. With guys like Quentin and Jones, who are both injury prone, it's good to have them out of the field once or twice a week.

A rotating DH of Quentin, Jones, Konerko, and maybe Pierre and Kotsay once in a while can probably work pretty well if used correctly.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 02:08 AM)
Screw the platoon.

Bat Jones 5th and plant his ass in LF.

And DH Juan Pierre?

He might be the WORST full-time DH ever then, lol.

I mean seriously DH = designated hitter.

Isn't it kind of ironic that we would have a guy who can't hit, but does nothing but go up to bat as our DH?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 03:14 AM)
And DH Juan Pierre?

He might be the WORST full-time DH ever then, lol.

I mean seriously DH = designated hitter.

Isn't it kind of ironic that we would have a guy who can't hit, but does nothing but go up to bat as our DH?

He has a career batting average of .300 with 1,666 career hits including 7 seasons of over 170 hits going into this season.

Sure looks like a hitter to me.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 02:20 AM)
He has a career batting average of .300 with 1,666 career hits including 7 seasons of over 170 hits going into this season.

Sure looks like a hitter to me.

Yeah, and his wOBA is somewhere around the .300 range too...

He's one of the worst offensive players on this team.

Edited by chw42

Nonetheless, with our team as currently constructed:

if it was a video game i'd put CQ at DH and pierre in LF. But since I have legitimate concerns about TCQs mental makeup 100% on the bench,

Jones-Rios-Quentin is worth having Pierre DH. Even if theoretically using your DH on a slappy slappster with infield grass power (srsly Jerry Owens looks like Babe Ruth now, remember JOs HR v. Toronto?) makes me sick, it's the best balance of Defense and Offense with TCQs aneurysms considered.