HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on Hossa defenders. I'm a fan of him, but he is having an average playoffs. He is being paid for his overall game...that includes scoring goals. He has 1 big time goal in these playoffs. The open net tap in, while huge given it's timing, was pretty much something anyone that can stand on skates would have put in. He skated to the net after his penalty and had his stick on the ice. I am grateful for it though. I'm also grateful for his overall game. He has been stellar on back checking and puck possesion...but he needs to step up offensively as well. He has had 0 points in 7 of 14 games these playoffs. 11 pts puts him 14th amoungst players still active in this postseason. He's better than that...he's elite. I expect better, he expects better and you should too. Hoping he heats up when they get home.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 19, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)

Why the hell did it take this long for those nicknames to be revealed???

I'm so sick of Tazer and Seabs and Kaner and Huey and all the stiff, boring nicknames.

Those are some great nicknames in that article, and I'd love to hear guys say "Seabiscuit and Shooter had a great game today" rather than "Seabs and Sharpie had a great game today".

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 19, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
"Gretzky has every record." I know this from commercials.

I kinda thought the Sharks might be the Hawks' best match-up of the 3 so far, but I never imagined them coming home up 2. Quenneville should

put the team up at a hotel in Naperville.

And Joe Thornton is a pansy and a head case.

Hell bring them out here to the Blue Chip. That way they can party, drink, and be on the road at the same time.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ May 19, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
Come on Hossa defenders. I'm a fan of him, but he is having an average playoffs. He is being paid for his overall game...that includes scoring goals. He has 1 big time goal in these playoffs. The open net tap in, while huge given it's timing, was pretty much something anyone that can stand on skates would have put in. He skated to the net after his penalty and had his stick on the ice. I am grateful for it though. I'm also grateful for his overall game. He has been stellar on back checking and puck possesion...but he needs to step up offensively as well. He has had 0 points in 7 of 14 games these playoffs. 11 pts puts him 14th amoungst players still active in this postseason. He's better than that...he's elite. I expect better, he expects better and you should too. Hoping he heats up when they get home.

This is hockey. You don't have to score points to be having good offensive games. Right now the Toews bunch is really doing the scoring. That leaves the rest of the lines to go into lockdown and cycle deep mode, which is what has been happening. Hossa has been great at clearing the defensive zone, carrying the puck, and getting it deep to start the cycle.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
This is hockey. You don't have to score points to be having good offensive games. Right now the Toews bunch is really doing the scoring. That leaves the rest of the lines to go into lockdown and cycle deep mode, which is what has been happening. Hossa has been great at clearing the defensive zone, carrying the puck, and getting it deep to start the cycle.

I agree and have said he is doing some other things good, but he is also getting paid to score. He's getting paid elite money here and he's getting it for a long time. He's making 7.9 million. Only 10 people in the NHL make more than him and 5 of them are at 8 mil. So pretty much he is right there with the top 5 in the league. You don't pay that for someone to clear the defensive zone, carry the puck, and get it deep to start the cycle.

His numbers are sure to fall with age, so he needs to start earning that's all. I'm not saying he isn't trying hard. He's one of the hardest and most consistent horses in the race, but there needs to be goal scoring. That's not an outlandish request. I'm not trying to change his game. I want him to keep doing what he's doing with the addition of putting the puck in the back of the net. He has 44 SOG these playoffs, 2nd on the team to Sharps 49. He's shooting enough....he needs to bury it.

I think at the end of the day putting the puck in the goal has some luck involved. Right now Hossa isnt getting the bounces.

What makes him worth 7.9mil is that even when he isnt scoring, he is still one of the most valuable guys on the ice. He is 4th in playoff scoring on the Hawks (11 points) and has the highest +/- rating for an offensive player at 6. (Hossa also lead in +/- in the regular season).

Hes taken 44 shots on goal, but only 4.5% have gone in. Eventually that will even out.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 19, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
I think at the end of the day putting the puck in the goal has some luck involved. Right now Hossa isnt getting the bounces.

What makes him worth 7.9mil is that even when he isnt scoring, he is still one of the most valuable guys on the ice. He is 4th in playoff scoring on the Hawks (11 points) and has the highest +/- rating for an offensive player at 6. (Hossa also lead in +/- in the regular season).

Hes taken 44 shots on goal, but only 4.5% have gone in. Eventually that will even out.

That's what I'm hoping for. In fact no more complaining out of me. I want to enjoy the ride! :D

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ May 19, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
I agree and have said he is doing some other things good, but he is also getting paid to score. He's getting paid elite money here and he's getting it for a long time. He's making 7.9 million. Only 10 people in the NHL make more than him and 5 of them are at 8 mil. So pretty much he is right there with the top 5 in the league. You don't pay that for someone to clear the defensive zone, carry the puck, and get it deep to start the cycle.

His numbers are sure to fall with age, so he needs to start earning that's all. I'm not saying he isn't trying hard. He's one of the hardest and most consistent horses in the race, but there needs to be goal scoring. That's not an outlandish request. I'm not trying to change his game. I want him to keep doing what he's doing with the addition of putting the puck in the back of the net. He has 44 SOG these playoffs, 2nd on the team to Sharps 49. He's shooting enough....he needs to bury it.

A large part of that is the style of game he is being asked to play. He doesn't get the featured role on the PP anymore because of Buff, and he isn't even on the top scoring line to keep things balanced.

My father is a huge hawks fan, and with father's day coming up, I really want to get him a Niemi jersey

Do you think there's any chance of Niemi losing his starting job next season, or is he pretty much locked in as their #1 even with Huet's fat contract?

QUOTE (Real @ May 20, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)
My father is a huge hawks fan, and with father's day coming up, I really want to get him a Niemi jersey

Do you think there's any chance of Niemi losing his starting job next season, or is he pretty much locked in as their #1 even with Huet's fat contract?

Every game he wins this year makes it more likely he is the starter next year.

Here's what makes the 'hawks good...you have three dangerous scoring lines. On each of those lines, you have at least two two-way forwards. Kane is ok and getting better at defense, Versteeg is Kane Light. Hossa doesn't have to score goals. Yes, they paid him a lot of money...but he does everything well. He has also hit a couple of posts and been beaten by the goalies. The 'hawks are the deepest team left in the playoffs and THAT'S why no one should panic that Hossa only has a couple of goals.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 20, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
The Blackhawks are going to put the players up in a hotel after the morning skate on Friday. Trying to recreate that road game magic!

I joked about that earlier, but even though that's gimmicky, it still makes a lot of sense, especially for a young team.

Quenneville and staff really seem to pushing all the right buttons.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 20, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
Versteeg is Kane Light.

Offensively but defensively Versteeg is really good. He is playing on the line that caused the Sharks #1 line to be broken up. The play he made where he got in the middle of his self created 0-2 was fantastic.

The Toews and Kane line are playing against the other teams third rated offensive line which could be their best defensive line but they can cherry pick a lot.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 20, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
The Blackhawks are going to put the players up in a hotel after the morning skate on Friday. Trying to recreate that road game magic!

I would rather do that before every game than drive home and drive back later. I hate traffic much more than I hate hotels.

Hossa isn't having what I would call a great playoffs, but he hasn't been terrible by any means. It's just weird to have a "sniper" be a bigger factor on the defensive side of the puck more than the offensive side. That's why there's so much talk.

Tuesday's 4th goal was epic Hossa.

Edited by IlliniKrush

Do you think the Hawks will take care of business before a loud crowd in game three or do you sense some life in San Jose?

Logic would suggest we do the job at home after kicking their ass in their own building.

Just wondered what you thought the odds are of the Hawks going up 3 games to 0.

Q: Which would you take if offered? Let's say the gods guaranteed you that if the Hawks dropped the next four games the Sox would rebound and make the playoffs. Would you take that deal in a second? Or are you a big enough hockey fan you'd want the Hawks to win the series if it meant the Sox continue to spiral downward the rest of the year?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 20, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
Do you think the Hawks will take care of business before a loud crowd in game three or do you sense some life in San Jose?

Logic would suggest we do the job at home after kicking their ass in their own building.

Just wondered what you thought the odds are of the Hawks going up 3 games to 0.

Q: Which would you take if offered? Let's say the gods guaranteed you that if the Hawks dropped the next four games the Sox would rebound and make the playoffs. Would you take that deal in a second? Or are you a big enough hockey fan you'd want the Hawks to win the series if it meant the Sox continue to spiral downward the rest of the year?

I would turn that one offer down in a second. I have been lucky enough to see a White Sox World Series win in my lifetime, but not a Stanley Cup. I would be able to handle another bad Sox season most of them in my lifetime have been anyways :lolhitting . I have the same feeling about the Hawks that I got about the Sox in the ALCS in 2005. Now, if you were to tell me that I had to take away 2005 to get the Stanley Cup in 2010, I don't think I would be able to do that.

QUOTE (NIUSox @ May 21, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
I would turn that one offer down in a second. I have been lucky enough to see a White Sox World Series win in my lifetime, but not a Stanley Cup. I would be able to handle another bad Sox season most of them in my lifetime have been anyways :lolhitting . I have the same feeling about the Hawks that I got about the Sox in the ALCS in 2005. Now, if you were to tell me that I had to take away 2005 to get the Stanley Cup in 2010, I don't think I would be able to do that.

Agreed. If 05' didn't happen, I might be more inclined to think about (probably do) this especially since I'm a much bigger baseball fan (sox fan) than I am a hockey fan (the Hawks). Now post 05', there is no way I do this. Sox can go 62-100 this season for all I care, if that means the Hawks win the cup and end their own drought. The only long drought I want to see in Chicago is the Cubs.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 20, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
you don't have to drive to and from hotels?

I'm going on the crazy assumption that the hotel is much closer to the UC than their homes are.

Also, they can leave their cars at the UC and cab it to and from the hotel.