HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!

QUOTE (bmags @ May 23, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
I love every player on this team now. Huet...meh.

He's become very good at opening the door to the bench. :lolhitting

Anyways, I am so pumped up not only for me and the Hawks but for my dad who has been a die hard all his life, but was only 11 the last time they won it. I have the same feeling that I had 5 years ago in October. :headbang 4 MORE WINS!!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 23, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
The Hawks season is a lot like the White Sox 2005. Fast start, dominating, then near the end of the season a rough patch where everyone was panicking, now rolling in the playoffs.

And Niemi is Bobby Jenks/Joe Crede, lol.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 23, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)
As a diehard Blackhawks fan for the last 15 years....lmao. nm. I couldn't even post this without laughing. Congrats to the true hockey fans.

I think the best way to be a good bandwagon fan is to actually learn about the game and familiarize with it so you don't come off as a total noob. I'm kind of taking this opportunity to do that. I found it cool that hockey also has a sabermetric-like group of statistical analysts. I've been reading some stuff over at Puck Prospectus.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (bmags @ May 23, 2010 -> 06:27 PM)
STANLEY CUP FINALSSSSSS...

I don't remember s*** from 92, I didn't get into it until 94, one of my fav teams everrrrrrr...

The mid-90s sell-off following the Cup thrashing at the hands of Lemieux, Francis and Jagr killed my budding fandom. Wirtz and his clueless front office didn't help either.

Trading or allowing free agency to Roenick, Belfour, Chelios, Suter, Sutter, Amonte, Carney, Krivokrasov, Smith, Murphy, Nicholls, Matteau, Weinrich, Ruutu, Poulin and other guys for crap just stomped my heart flat.

That said, good luck to the new 'Hawks in the Finals.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 23, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
STANLEY CUP FINALSSSSSS...

I don't remember s*** from 92, I didn't get into it until 94, one of my fav teams everrrrrrr...

but nonetheless...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I love every player on this team now. Huet...meh.

Yep same here, not old enough to remember 1992, and also got into it in 1994 after going to a playoff win against Toronto at the old Chicago Stadium when I was but a young boy. Between the pretty play we saw quite a bit later on in the regular season and the goaltending, a lot of people (like myself obviously) didn't think this team would be able to win the mighty Western Conference. To not only do it, but to do it by sweeping an outstanding San Jose Sharks team is just incredible. They've made some great adjustments, got hot at the right time, and Niemi has been great obviously as well.

The Hawks are a strong favorite in the Stanley Cup Finals regardless of who they play, and let's hope they can keep playing like they are right now, because they will win if they can do so.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 23, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
And Niemi is Bobby Jenks/Joe Crede, lol.

I would say Niemi is Bobby Jenks and Dustin Byfuglien is Joe Crede.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I have this weird feeling Hossa is going to pop in the Finals. He has been on the losing end the past two years, and he has been catching some flak for not being the elite scorer that everyone knows he is. I just feel like this might be his time to shine.

And this is coming from an admitted Noob

I gotta tell you - Vancouver was this team's test this year, IMO. And they blazed through that. They matched up really well with SJ, and it showed.

I didn't get to watch as much of the WC finals as I would have liked, but I'll definitely be watching the Cup finals this year.

It's awesome to see these guys arrive a couple of years faster then expected.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 23, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
I gotta tell you - Vancouver was this team's test this year, IMO. And they blazed through that. They matched up really well with SJ, and it showed.

I didn't get to watch as much of the WC finals as I would have liked, but I'll definitely be watching the Cup finals this year.

It's awesome to see these guys arrive a couple of years faster then expected.

There is definitely pressure on this team to win now, perhaps even more than you'd think. Obviously getting to the finals is very hard to do, plus having an opponent who is either a #7 or #8 seed (both of whom barely made the playoffs) is a rare opportunity. In addition to that, while the Hawks are setup to contend for a long time, salary cap restrictions mean it will be tough for them to build a team this deep again anytime in the near future. It's setup about as well as it possibly could be for the Hawks to take the Cup this year, lets hope they seize the moment in the finals like they did the first 3 rounds.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 23, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
I have this weird feeling Hossa is going to pop in the Finals. He has been on the losing end the past two years, and he has been catching some flak for not being the elite scorer that everyone knows he is. I just feel like this might be his time to shine.

And this is coming from an admitted Noob

He's a +8 in the playoffs. When he is on the ice, he controls the puck. Notice that he rarely dumps it. He skates in and tries to make chances and keeps the defense on its heels. I know next to nothing about hockey skill, but I am learning that it isn't an accident that his lines have been successful. Even if he doesn't score, he singlehandedly keeps the opposition occupied without Toews and Kane. That's huge.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 23, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
I feel bad for Tallon he built this team it is as sound as a team can realistically be right now as Nemi is doing what Huet is being paid to do.

I think I heard Tallon was hired somewhere else recently, dont feel bad for him. Its the business and he has landed on his feet. Plus he will still be able to know he put this team together.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ May 23, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
I think I heard Tallon was hired somewhere else recently, dont feel bad for him. Its the business and he has landed on his feet. Plus he will still be able to know he put this team together.

Tallon was just hired by the Panthers as their GM.

As far as the Hawks, I'm absolutely ecstatic that we're in the Cup finals. This team is so ridiculously likable. When Buff scored that go-ahead goal, it was right up there with Konerko's grand slam when it comes to great sports moments in my lifetime. And Duncan Keith FTMFW.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ May 23, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)

Tallon was hired by the Florida Panthers last week. He did assemble this team but he also signed a couple of s***ty deals that might complicate things for this team as we move forward. Then Dale got caught up in the Bowman's power grab and they had just cause for giving him the boot. Still, he will make due in Florida . . . if he can win there then he truly is a great hockey mind.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 23, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
The mid-90s sell-off following the Cup thrashing at the hands of Lemieux, Francis and Jagr killed my budding fandom. Wirtz and his clueless front office didn't help either.

Trading or allowing free agency to Roenick, Belfour, Chelios, Suter, Sutter, Amonte, Carney, Krivokrasov, Smith, Murphy, Nicholls, Matteau, Weinrich, Ruutu, Poulin and other guys for crap just stomped my heart flat.

That said, good luck to the new 'Hawks in the Finals.

Yeah, it was bad. What made it worse was beside thrashing the on the field product they were pissing away their fan experience. They'd f*** with the peanut vendors, jack up prices when we sucked, f*** with parking. It was like they were actively trying to drive everyone away. And they succeeded with me. I only started following again after we drafted Kane. Good timing.

Being a fan of the Hawks for a good part of just over a decade now, and going thru all of the bad times, seeing the team rated as the worst sports franchise in the world a few years ago, and to see where they are at now has been fantastic to watch and be a part of.

Niemi's shown that he'll be the #1 guy here for a few seasons at least, and hopefully we can lock him up to an affordable contract for the long - term, and somehow get rid of Huet's deal.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 23, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
Niemi's shown that he'll be the #1 guy here for a few seasons at least, and hopefully we can lock him up to an affordable contract for the long - term, and somehow get rid of Huet's deal.

No doubt. But I'm sure we will think about that when that time comes. Lets enjoy the ride and hopefully some history for our franchise with 4 more wins. :)

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 24, 2010 -> 12:33 AM)
You have to watch it with a group of people and with alcohol :headbang

I really only like hockey live. It's more boring to me than golf tbh. I kind of have resented the hawks because hawks fever reminds me of the cubs circa 2003 :). I have a couple of friends that have liked the hawks a while so I'll be happy for them if they win but I won't watch a game. To each their own. I just hope Lebron comes to the bulls and the hawks and bulls make the United Center the place to be. :cheers

The Hawks season is a lot like the White Sox 2005. Fast start, dominating, then near the end of the season a rough patch where everyone was panicking, now rolling in the playoffs.

Great post, Dick Allen ... again.

Whoever said hockey is boring ... why would you say that? There are not the incessant time outs. The game moves. When it starts to get dull with the dumping of the puck, you don't usually have to wait long for a vicious hit.

I also congratulate all the die-hard Hawks fans. I was a HUGE fan as a child and til the start of college; then a nothing fan. Now, yes one of those fans who only starts to pay attention when it looks like we have a good team brewing.

Been watching the playoffs all the way through and I've been IMPRESSED.

Go Hawks.

How has Hawks' other goalie handled not being the guy the Hawks have gone to? Has anybody interviewed him?

Edited by greg775