HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2010 -> 12:46 AM)
Great post, Dick Allen ... again.

Whoever said hockey is boring ... why would you say that? There are not the incessant time outs. The game moves. When it starts to get dull with the dumping of the puck, you don't usually have to wait long for a vicious hit.

I also congratulate all the die-hard Hawks fans. I was a HUGE fan as a child and til the start of college; then a nothing fan. Now, yes one of those fans who only starts to pay attention when it looks like we have a good team brewing.

Been watching the playoffs all the way through and I've been IMPRESSED.

Go Hawks.

How has Hawks' other goalie handled not being the guy the Hawks have gone to? Has anybody interviewed him?

It was me that said it was boring and it is just not for me. I'm not going to bash it because I know a ton of people who feel the same way about basketball that I do about hockey. It's just not something I've ever cared about. I don't know any of the players and never played hockey and don't know anyone who ever did. I'm 23 years old so the bulls were kind of the thing growing up and it fueled my love for basketball and hockey never appealed to me. Either way, Go Hawks for you diehard fans.

p.s. however, NHL 98 for super nintendo was my s***. Paul Kariya is still my favorite hockey player because of it.

Edited by kjshoe04

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always was and remain a great table top hockey player.

My ability to pass the puck from the wing back to the defensemen and pop it ahead into the goal ... and control the puck while using all the knobs was legendary on the south side. I also liked flipping it quickly from defenseman to defenseman, passing it to a wing, have the wing whack it around the goal, the other wing nab it, pass to the charging center who rammed it in the goal.

Fun game.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (G&T @ May 23, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
He's a +8 in the playoffs. When he is on the ice, he controls the puck. Notice that he rarely dumps it. He skates in and tries to make chances and keeps the defense on its heels. I know next to nothing about hockey skill, but I am learning that it isn't an accident that his lines have been successful. Even if he doesn't score, he singlehandedly keeps the opposition occupied without Toews and Kane. That's huge.

Yeah I know he is on the + side, I was speaking only in terms of scoring goals himself. I am in no way disparaging his overall play.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ May 24, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)
I didn't see this, but I guess people threw things on the ice in the 3rd period?

Thats such a cubbie/redwings thing to do. . . keep the ice clean unless someone scores 3 goals.

That is all.

The only thing worse is the dumbasses trying to get the wave going at the Sox game yesterday. Really? The 70's called, they want their schtick back.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 23, 2010 -> 06:16 PM)
Yep same here, not old enough to remember 1992, and also got into it in 1994 after going to a playoff win against Toronto at the old Chicago Stadium when I was but a young boy. Between the pretty play we saw quite a bit later on in the regular season and the goaltending, a lot of people (like myself obviously) didn't think this team would be able to win the mighty Western Conference. To not only do it, but to do it by sweeping an outstanding San Jose Sharks team is just incredible. They've made some great adjustments, got hot at the right time, and Niemi has been great obviously as well.

The Hawks are a strong favorite in the Stanley Cup Finals regardless of who they play, and let's hope they can keep playing like they are right now, because they will win if they can do so.

I would say Niemi is Bobby Jenks and Dustin Byfuglien is Joe Crede.

Yeah, I think Buff's big goals are like Crede's big home runs in the WS and his huge double in game 2 of the ALCS.

I didn't see this, but I guess people threw things on the ice in the 3rd period?

Thats such a cubbie/redwings thing to do. . . keep the ice clean unless someone scores 3 goals.

That is all.

Red towels were thrown on the ice late in the game (after the empty net goal, I think).

Agreed. Throwing stuff is bush league and habit forming. The mob mentality sucks. One person throws something and here it comes from the stands.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2010 -> 01:46 AM)
I also congratulate all the die-hard Hawks fans. I was a HUGE fan as a child and til the start of college; then a nothing fan. Now, yes one of those fans who only starts to pay attention when it looks like we have a good team brewing.

Been watching the playoffs all the way through and I've been IMPRESSED.

Go Hawks.

How has Hawks' other goalie handled not being the guy the Hawks have gone to? Has anybody interviewed him?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
Agreed. Throwing stuff is bush league and habit forming. The mob mentality sucks. One person throws something and here it comes from the stands.

So you haven't really followed hockey, but you are willing to tell people what is bush league for hockey fans to do?

That is all.

Not a fan of it, but let's not act like they were throwing garbage or cups of beer after a loss. If it's ok/encouraged to throw your hat on the ice for a hat trick at any point in the year, it's certainly within bounds to throw a towel on the ice after an empty netter seals the sweep of the #1 ranked team and a West conf title. It was such a small thing, I can't believe anyone would even mention it.

Thats such a cubbie/redwings thing to do. . .

I think it's a drunk fan thing to do... and many of those fans there are Cubs fans.

It's what happens when 22k drink for 3 hours and get excited. I don't care if you're in Detroit, New York, Manitoba, or... Chicago.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ May 24, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
Flyers looking good. Hopefully its just the level of competition as I think the Habs finally came back down to earth.

I believe they were the preseason Stanley Cup finalist pick before underachieving the whole year and having a ton of injuries. Won't be a cakewalk for the Hawks at all especially seeing they play almost the same style as the Hawks, seeding be damned. Other than Nashville, I think the Flyers will be the second best defense the Hawks will probably face this post-season. Pronger is nasty. Then again.. I never thought the Hawks would actually sweep the Sharks, so no team scares me if the Hawks are on their game.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 23, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)
Being a fan of the Hawks for a good part of just over a decade now, and going thru all of the bad times, seeing the team rated as the worst sports franchise in the world a few years ago, and to see where they are at now has been fantastic to watch and be a part of.

Niemi's shown that he'll be the #1 guy here for a few seasons at least, and hopefully we can lock him up to an affordable contract for the long - term, and somehow get rid of Huet's deal.

The Hawks should be basking in money the next few years, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them put him on waivers and eat his contract. In the NHL (I think) you can put someone on waivers and get the cap space back. Granted, that is asking a lot for the Hawks to eat $4.5 million or whatever Huet is owed, but if it means keeping Hammer and Niemi, I think it's gotta be done.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ May 24, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
Flyers looking good. Hopefully its just the level of competition as I think the Habs finally came back down to earth.

They are going to be incredibly similar to the Predators.