4/22 GT: Rays vs. White Sox. 7:10 PM Central Time, CSN+2, WSCR 670

SoxAce

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't blame anyone for that. I think there was a lot to be optimistic about going into this season. The fact of the matter is that the Twins are good, and at best, the Sox will be mediocre. Hopefully after they realize it's not going to happen this season, they'll get rid of some old, tired names, and actually start the new decade with some renewed energy.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
i really overestimated this teams ability.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
You watch some of these infielders and it really makes me appreciate Ozzie and Ventura defensively. They were throwing to the Big Hurt. They make throws like that, they are errors.

Lol - and at the moment, it makes me appreciate our current first basemen, at least on the defensive side of things. Those low throws are starting to become a little alarming with their frequency.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
I don't blame anyone for that. I think there was a lot to be optimistic about going into this season. The fact of the matter is that the Twins are good, and at best, the Sox will be mediocre. Hopefully after they realize it's not going to happen this season, they'll get rid of some old, tired names, and actually start the new decade with some renewed energy.

I thought they were going to do that last offseason. Instead they turned into a team that would make Al Davis proud.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 03:42 AM)
I thought they were going to do that last offseason. Instead they turned into a team that would make Al Davis proud.

Agreed, and what has resulted is a pretty old offense with a miserable farm system. You have to pick a strategy and stick with it. It's like KW couldn't resist, and decided adding 30 mil per year in payroll during the season was what the organization needed.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 03:47 AM)
My oh my. We're not in the same galaxy as TB right now. Other than Beckham, who would start for them out of our position players? 2008 was no fluke for them. They're going to be around for quite some time.

I said earlier they have 5 guys who would be the best player on the Sox. I'd take Zobrist over Beckham if Zobrist is playing 2nd base. Not only that, but their pitching rotation is easily better than that of the Sox.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 09:49 PM)
I said earlier they have 5 guys who would be the best player on the Sox. I'd take Zobrist over Beckham if Zobrist is playing 2nd base. Not only that, but their pitching rotation is easily better than that of the Sox.

I can't disagree with anything you just said here. They've got a real powerhouse. They obviously had a lot of high first round picks from 99-2007 (and you still gotta make the right picks. Which they've done). But they've made some great draft picks that weren't first rounders (Wade Davis, Desmond Jennings on the way) and have executed some OUTSTANDING trades the last few years. It's a shame they play in a baseball toilet bowl that is Florida.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 02:57 AM)
I can't disagree with anything you just said here. They've got a real powerhouse. They obviously had a lot of high first round picks from 99-2007 (and you still gotta make the right picks. Which they've done). But they've made some great draft picks that weren't first rounders (Wade Davis, Desmond Jennings on the way) and have executed some OUTSTANDING trades the last few years. It's a shame they play in a baseball toilet bowl that is Florida.

Just think if they took Gordon instead of Tim Beckham. They're going to get hurt with Crawford leaving, but I've always thought he's overrated.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
Just think if they took Gordon instead of Tim Beckham. They're going to get hurt with Crawford leaving, but I've always thought he's overrated.

If Jennings is as good as most scouts think, they won't miss Crawford at all. Pena is the guy they'll end up missing if they can't sign him.

And I think they guy they probably most regret not drafting in 2008 is Buster Posey. Catcher is their one weak spot right now. Imagine him with the rest of this core? That's a terrifying thought.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
Does it really matter anymore? That's like putting a band aid on a flesh wound.

Yah I guess that's true. Man this sucks.

How much does Miguel Cabrera make? Now there is a guy that is earning his salary.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
Yah I guess that's true. Man this sucks.

How much does Miguel Cabrera make? Now there is a guy that is earning his salary.

And who knows if he'd be hitting .321 with the plethora of s*** around him in our lineup.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
Does it really matter anymore? That's like putting a band aid on a flesh wound.

That's what's getting on my nerves about some people. They keep looking at who we didn't sign. What does Damon, Thome, Pods or whatever other name you want to throw out there have to do with the fact that guys like Peavy, Beckham, CQ (who's been awful), AJ, ect have not performed?