Dye Coming Back? Sun-Times Article

BigSqwert

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
Anyone have thoughts on the Dye article in the Sun Times today? "Where would he play?" seems appropriate.

If TCQ goes to the DL, or any of the OF/DH rotation guys appear to have an injury, then I'd be for it, if its a cheap deal (like the Jones deal). Otherwise, no.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
If TCQ goes to the DL, or any of the OF/DH rotation guys appear to have an injury, then I'd be for it, if its a cheap deal (like the Jones deal). Otherwise, no.

And considering he's already turned down what, $3-$4 million for the year from the Nats...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
And considering he's already turned down what, $3-$4 million for the year from the Nats...

But now the season has started, and I think that changes the picture a lot.

If TCQ has a real injury of some kind, I say you call up Dye and offer him 550k pro-rated, and a slot in the OF/Dh rotation, if/when he can pass physical, and do a few minor league games to get up to speed. If he is unwilling to sign under those conditions, fine, see ya. If he is, great, we have another option.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
But now the season has started, and I think that changes the picture a lot.

If TCQ has a real injury of some kind, I say you call up Dye and offer him 550k pro-rated, and a slot in the OF/Dh rotation, if/when he can pass physical, and do a few minor league games to get up to speed. If he is unwilling to sign under those conditions, fine, see ya. If he is, great, we have another option.

The last "Nationals make offer to Dye" thread was posted on April 13th, 1.5 weeks into the season.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...owley30.article

Although I have to say, as much as I respect J.D., I share Ozzie's sentiment: where would we put him?

Unless you're going to bench Pierre and make him a bench player, which would be interesting because that would be an admission of total failure with regard to either 1) his attempt at being the new Pods or 2) his ability to hit in the AL or... both.

What are your thoughts about this? Or would he become the DH, and the DH-by-committee would go away?

Edited by LVSoxFan

I like JD, but at this point his skill-set is redundant for this team, at least as far as replacing one of the struggling players goes.

If they were going to keep him after '09, that's one thing, but once you let him go I think you kind of have to let him stay gone unless injuries force your hand.

Add to that the fact that the two players who essentially replaced him, Rios and Jones, are off to decent starts, and it adds up to "he's not coming back".

I guess the only thing that intrigues me about this is that when we brought Pods back people thought that was a sign of the apocalypse; if we had to take back an 05-er we must be really desperate. As it turned out, he had something to prove and had a virtual career year.

Hmm... I wonder if JD has that same chip on his shoulder.

I guess if he did come back that would make JP the '10 Willie Harris.

We all knew that it was just a matter of time before we started hearing stuff like this. Honestly...with KW. I could see it. He loves his aging/past-prime superstars.

It would be an admission of failure...but honestly, and sadly...JD is better than what we have currently. God thats pathetic to say.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
Yeah the more I think about this Dye-as-DH thing, the more I'm starting to like it. Thoughts?

You should ask Jermaine first, cause he has repeatedly said that he doesnt want to only be a DH. He even says so in the article.

''I can DH, play the outfield and play some first base,'' he said. ''I still don't want to be just a DH, but I can play there at times.''

I'm in the minority here...and yes, I have watched or listened to EVERY game...but we're 22 games into the season and Pierre is teatering around .200. IMO that is hardly grounds to bury the guy for the season. Sadly, that mendoza line average is very comparable to most of our other guys in the order. I don't want to see him benched...but moving him down to nine I'd be all for.

Where does Dye bat in the order if brought back? Does he go 4-5 with Konerko...do we go through the clogging of the bases that we have all witnessed over the past few years? This team can barely get hits as it is. It's gonna be even tougher when you have Paulie and Dye roaming the basepaths and the team needing to get extra hits to get them in.

That being said...I'd like to have him back lol...

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)
I wouldn't count it out if Carlos had to hit the DL for some reason.

I'd be surprised if Q didn't hit the DL at some point.

From what I've heard, Dye hasn't faced live pitching since last September. Even if he did agree to come back as a DH on the cheap, I don't know that he'd even be an offensive upgrade over Kotsay.