May Catch All White Sox Thread

BigSqwert

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 3, 2010 -> 02:05 AM)
I was interested in hearing some of the more damning things that Swish did during his tenure as a White Sox, and sure enough with the Yankees series some of the cropped up. According to Mark Gonzalez the Sox were turned off by Swisher's.... bobble head? "The Sox were well-aware of Swisher's outgoing nature that could be viewed as being self-absorbed, especially after one incident in which he showed his bobble head doll to his teammates in the clubhouse." That's some pretty intense stuff. Also, from some comments Cowley made on the radio, it sounds like Paulie and A.J. were almost immediately turned off by Swish. Now, we know that Jenksy and Uribe were fine with him because they played into his Dirty 30 goatee shenanigans, and we know Joe Crede was fine with him, because he countered with his “Hardcore 24,” but it makes me wonder about the Veteran Click that ruled the clubhouse for years, and how their opinions on certain player seemed to have a huge effect on the stage of the clubhouse and the perception of certain members of the team being expressed by the media. It makes me wonder if the Dye-Rios comments and the Getz clubhouse comments debacle were not isolate incidents but indicative of a bigger problem behind the scenes.

If you think that was the only thing going on with Swisher...you're wrong.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
If you think that was the only thing going on with Swisher...you're wrong.

I look forward to the unfounded cocaine and steroids rumors to pop back up in this thread. Like, people need an excuse to hate Swish outside of being personally offended by his 2008 season. The way I see it is that there was a fundamental difference between Swisher and Ozzie from the start. They both have dominant personalities, and when perceived Ozzie as having slighted him he, he did the worst thing he could ever do. He pouted. Effectively, eliminating whatever chance he had at mending fences with this organization. That being said, if I was benched for D-Wheezey I’d pout too. As it stands, Swisher had a spectrally unlucky year that was obviously a statistical aberration. His fate was sealed the minute Ozzie and some of his clubhouse guys took a dislike to him

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 4, 2010 -> 03:57 AM)
Is ESPN.com getting location sensitive? I felt weird going there and seeing 3 out of their 4 top stories were the Hawks, Jake Peavy and Del Negro. The other was the Celtics.

I think they've gotten a lot better about covering the rest of the country ever since MLB network came out and every damn baseball fan outside of Boston/NY who got that channel switched instantly.

27 games (1/6 of the season) in the books for the Twins, Tigers, and Sox. Let's compare:

Twins 18-9

Starting pitchers: 15-7

Quality starts: 16

Quality start record: 14-2

Team ERA: 3.64

RS: 144

RA: 102

Diff: +42

Tigers 16-11

Starting pitchers: 7-8

Quality starts: 11

Quality start record: 6-5

Team ERA: 4.29

RS: 132

RA: 126

Diff: +6

White Sox 11-16

Starting pitchers: 7-11

Quality starts: 12

Quality start record: 7-5

Team ERA: 4.84

RS: 109

RA: 137

Diff: -28

The Twins are dominating this division in every facet of the game. The Tigers are probably lucky to be 16-12 right now. And the Sox are horrible.

Ozzie Guillen said he has a videotape from about 20 years ago in which he said his goal was to become the manager of the White Sox.

"I'm lucky to do it," Guillen said Tuesday, hours before managing his 1,000th game for the Sox.

How much longer Guillen will do so has been a source of speculation outside the organization in the wake of the Sox's sluggish start.

Guillen said he would get fired before he would get tired of the job and quit.

"I'm not going to quit," said Guillen, who surpassed Tony La Russa for third place on the Sox's all-time victory list with his 523rd Monday night. "I'm not a quitter. When I want to quit, I'll do a lot of stupid things and make sure they fire me and get paid."

Guillen laughed before elaborating on why getting fired was better than quitting.

"Because when you quit, it's hard for you to find another job," Guillen said. "Because when you quit, a lot of teams out there call you a quitter or say you can't handle yourself or can't handle the heat or you can't handle losing.

"And that's tough to get a job. But everyone gets fired. I remember in 2004, my first day on the job, I say managers get hired to get fired. I'm lucky enough. I work my tail off to get a job and I'm lucky enough to still have a good club and good guys to manage."

chicagotribune.com/sports (gonzales)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2010 -> 06:58 AM)
Ugh, 4 of our 5 starting pitchers have ERAs of 5.30 or higher. I don't care who is leading off, you aren't gonna win many games like that.

Well its still hard to win games when your offense is an abortion as well.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 5, 2010 -> 07:52 AM)
Well its still hard to win games when your offense is an abortion as well.

True that. All the energy that has been spent on the ineptness on the offense though, has kind of made me overlook the struggles of the rotation as well.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
How the heck is it May 5th and we still have Kotsay and Vizquel on the roster? I'd rather have some young guys up then have these guys around.

It rarely is a good thing to call up guys to have them sit on the bench behind regulars.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 5, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
How the heck is it May 5th and we still have Kotsay and Vizquel on the roster? I'd rather have some young guys up then have these guys around.

Even though he's a future utility player anyways, I'd rather see Retherford still get regular playing time and not hit .230 than to be call him up.

Edited by SoxAce