AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

justBLAZE

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
As long as we don't make Thorton the closer, its allllll good

He's too valuable in those big-out situations in the 6th-8th to save for the final inning of play but in future games like today where he wasn't needed until the final out of the 8th he's the best option we have for those final 3 outs.

I think closer by situation works...

Jenks in situations where it's 3 runs.

Santos in situations where it's close with a lot of tough right handed hitters.

Thronton in situations where it's close with a lot of tough left handed hitters.

Of course, Thornton's role is versatile in this situation. Hopefully, it doesn't mess with any of these guys' minds.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:55 PM)
He's too valuable in those big-out situations in the 6th-8th to save for the final inning of play but in future games like today where he wasn't needed until the final out of the 8th he's the best option we have for those final 3 outs.

even with how great he was today, I agree, if they want to move Jenks out of there, I think they have to give Putz some chances

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:55 PM)

Ok, but (back to the other thread I just saw your post in) aren't you contradicting yourself by saying he can't close? What point am I missing?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
Ok, but (back to the other thread I just saw your post in) aren't you contradicting yourself by saying he can't close? What point am I missing?

Well if you have Freddy go 7, Sergio got two batters out in the 8th, you bring in Thornton, he went 1.1 inning and you still have Bobby available.

No problem with that.

I never said he can't close, he probably could. It's the Carlos Marmol theory: the biggest out of the game aren't always in the 9th inning and Thornton being one of the most dominant relievers in the game needs to be in the game to get those most paramount outs. Basically: you can't save your best reliever for the 9th when he's needed earlier in the game to make sure you still have the lead come the 9th.

He did give up a hit which, if it was Jenks, would have produced 1500 "get that fat f*** out of the game" posts by people.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 28, 2010 -> 09:03 PM)
He did give up a hit which, if it was Jenks, would have produced 1500 "get that fat f*** out of the game" posts by people.

A hit to Longoria. Not surprising. And I see your point, but if he had turned around and closed it as quickly as Thornton did there would have been only 348 "fat ass" posts.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 28, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
I like how Cora managed, pinch hitting Vizquel for Nix so he ended up playing 3rd defensively in the last inning, leaving Freddy in for the 7th, Santos 2 /3's of an inning and Thornton's 1 1/3 .

It was a very well managed game.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 28, 2010 -> 09:03 PM)

Perhaps, if Matt Thornton had Jenks' track record of allowing the go ahead run to reach base in nearly every one of his high leverage outings, a hit by Longoria may have meant the beginning of a rally but it was just a good piece of hitting by one of the greats of the game and the most shut-down reliever in the AL last season (sans the big 4 closers) nailed it down.