Olney: Sox to start trading away vets

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
The only way JFP might get traded is if CC Sabathia & AJ Burnett both needed Tommy John surgery tommorrow. Then maybe, just maybe, would the Yankees even think about taking on Peavy & his contract.

Why would they trade for a pitcher with an ERA north of 6 in June?

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
He was not even the prized piece of the White Flag package (Barcelo was).

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Caruso was the gem of the package, Foulke & Howry the closest to major league ready, and Barcelo just had high hopes. He wasn't a throw-in, but he wasn't thought of the way Caruso was.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Why would they trade for a pitcher with an ERA north of 6 in June?

They wouldn't. Last time I checked 5.90

Seriously though, it was more of a how hypothetically untradeable he really is.

How is this team going to get any better by trading only the guys with little value? Open for business means that anyone is on the block, the one exception would proabably be Beckham because of his current value in relation to overall potential.

This team isn't going to get much better making the same type of salary dump deals KW has made over the last few years, we need to move the big chips to get a big return that will impove this team.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
This team coud be last place in the division at the end of the season. It has been an unpleasant satrt of the season and could be an even longer summer. MB is another one I could see going and maybe should as much as I think he is the icon right now. Look at what was traded off from our minors system for aging veterans for the most part. This hole was dug by our management staff. Now saying all that I am not wanting to give up on this team or this season. We need to win games period. Let's go!

We are on pace to win 69 games. Does it really matter if we turn it up, win 78 and finish 3rd or lose by selling off veterans and win 60 and finish last. I think the latter is better so we can get a stud draft pick in 2011, where rumor has it there will be a ton of 3B prospects.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
I think we have a shot at retooling and competing next year if we keep the rotation intact. Obviously there would have to be significant changes to the offense and a lot of rebound years (pitching and offense), but I think it's a possibility.

I'd like to believe this, but I just don't see it. With payroll constricting and nobody in the minors ready yet, they're not going to be able to add enough via free agency to make this team significantly better next year. Unless we see 2008 CQ and Alexei and 2009 Beckham, it's difficult to see this team doing anything significant next season.

Unfortunately, with Pierre and Teahen locked up already for 2011, I don't see a ton of areas where we could spend the money on offense (assuming we infuse some youth into the lineup).

Pierre and Teahen cost about $10M/year combined. They're not constricting payroll. Attendance, parking, and concession revenue, plus the other large contracts on the roster, are the problem.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
I think we can compete next year without Buerhrle and Garcia. Just by looking at the free agent class of pitchers i think it would only take one signing to get a rotation of Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Hudson, SP to respectability.

The problem is, if you spend money on a replacement starting pitcher, then where do you find the money to add bat and bullpen?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
I think we can compete next year without Buerhrle and Garcia. Just by looking at the free agent class of pitchers i think it would only take one signing to get a rotation of Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Hudson, SP to respectability.

plus it would required peavy and floyd to return to being better than average pitchers.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Caruso was the gem of the package, Foulke & Howry the closest to major league ready, and Barcelo just had high hopes. He wasn't a throw-in, but he wasn't thought of the way Caruso was.

Caruso was a freaking 20-year-old, slap-hitting A-baller when the Sox traded for him. His minor-league BA and OBP were decent, but nothing special. Calling somebody with that skill set a "gem" makes little sense, and the only reason that he started for the Sox in '98 was their lack of other options. He was also a part of a trade that involved five other players, many with MUCH higher ceilings.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
I'd like to believe this, but I just don't see it. With payroll constricting and nobody in the minors ready yet, they're not going to be able to add enough via free agency to make this team significantly better next year. Unless we see 2008 CQ and Alexei and 2009 Beckham, it's difficult to see this team doing anything significant next season.

We said the same thing in 2007. While underachieving, this '10 team is more talented than the hapless 2007 team, and the '08 team, while not great, won the division. I absolutely think the Sox can win the division in 2011 with a couple strong trades and FA signings*. You know KW wouldn't settle for anything less anyway.

(*Shedding Konerko, Pierzynski and Jenks would net the team more than $20 million to work with, although KW's M.O. is to make a trade not sign a FA.)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
The problem is, if you spend money on a replacement starting pitcher, then where do you find the money to add bat and bullpen?

How much would a guy like Harden, or reclamation projects like Webb or Bedard cost on the open-market? I'm assuming that Javy, Sheets and Lee will be getting the majority of play for the free-spending teams.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
Pierre and Teahen cost about $10M/year combined. They're not constricting payroll. Attendance, parking, and concession revenue is.

It's not that Teahen and Pierre restrict the team's payroll where we can't afford new players, it's that they are paid well enough where I think KW will give them starting spots (assuming we can't dump their contracts). This directly affects where we could spend any savings to improve our lineup.

Assuming we also keep Beckham, Rios, Quentin, and Ramirez, then we are only looking at C, 1B and RF/DH to fill. If you want to infuse some youth into the lineup, we are looking at Viciedo at 1B and Flowers at C. That leaves RF/DH to fill via trade or free agency. Obviously, there's a possibility we move Quentin or Ramirez in offseason and need money to fill one of their positions, but right now I'm not expecting it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
How much would a guy like Harden, or reclamation projects like Webb or Bedard cost on the open-market? I'm assuming that Javy, Sheets and Lee will be getting the majority of play for the free-spending teams.

Harden? Keep him away. Ugh.

Interesting that we're looking to replace Buehrle and Garcia with another Freddy Garcia, and hoping that we get lucky.

If KW decides to deal I am guessing everyone is on the block and it just depends on what is offerred in return on whether someone goes or not. You don't tear up the team just to tear it up IMO. I see AJP as the most likely to go simply because he has the 10/5 situation coming up. However, what is in the pipeline to replace these guys? I for one don't think we necessarily have anyone ready in the minors. Flowers has taken a step back and Viciedo is iffy to say the least and just learning 1B. This team coud be last place in the division at the end of the season. It has been an unpleasant satrt of the season and could be an even longer summer. MB is another one I could see going and maybe should as much as I think he is the icon right now. Look at what was traded off from our minors system for aging veterans for the most part. This hole was dug by our management staff. Now saying all that I am not wanting to give up on this team or this season. We need to win games period. Let's go!

Dude, I think at least we have the 13th pick in 2 days or tomorrow and this year's mess guarantees another top 10 pick next year. If we rebuild then so be it. I for one would like to see some youngsters come up but with decent coaching.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
Caruso was a freaking 20-year-old, slap-hitting A-baller when the Sox traded for him. His minor-league BA and OBP were decent, but nothing special. Calling somebody with that skill set a "gem" makes little sense, and the only reason that he started for the Sox in '98 was their lack of other options. He was also a part of a trade that involved five other players, many with MUCH higher ceilings.

As hard as it is to believe, he was the #34 prospect in all of baseball in 1998 (#1 White Sox prospect) according to Baseball America. I'm still blown away how anyone could have thought this. He must of had quite the intangibles, since he was both offensively and defensively challenged.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
It's not that Teahen and Pierre restrict the team's payroll where we can't afford new players, it's that they are paid well enough where I think KW will give them starting spots (assuming we can't dump their contracts). This directly affects where we could spend any savings to improve our lineup.

Assuming we also keep Beckham, Rios, Quentin, and Ramirez, then we are only looking at C, 1B and RF/DH to fill. If you want to infuse some youth into the lineup, we are looking at Viciedo at 1B and Flowers at C. That leaves RF/DH to fill via trade or free agency. Obviously, there's a possibility we move Quentin or Ramirez in offseason and need money to fill one of their positions, but right now I'm not expecting it.

I don't think that Viciedo will be ready next year. He just turned 21, and has not yet demonstrated that he has the baseball skill and acumen to be one of those rare players who can contribute at the Major League Level at such a young age. Moreover, he is not nearly ready to play consistently good defense at any position.

I'd much prefer a power hitting left handed first baseman.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)

That is not true at all. The pitchers were the center of the deal for sure.