Olney: Sox to start trading away vets

LittleHurt05

Thornton is a guy we deal because people will actually give up something tangible for. If KW gets a call, he should listen.

I'd like it if Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Beckham, Ramirez, TCQ, and Rios could survive the purge. I might be being stubborn, but i think they still have long-term value to this franchise.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
Now is the opportunity to deal Thornton. We wont receive any Top 10 prospects, but atleast there's a possibility of adding some higher ceiling, lower level players.

I know people will resist dealing him, as they'll probably bring up his value to our team and the unlikeliness of a complete rebuilding project, but just remember this moment when he's losing velocity and stealing 4+ million from our team.

You honestly believe we wouldn't get one top 10 prospect from a team for Thornton? That's crazy IMO. I think we'd probably get two, I think the question is how highly rated would the better one be.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
So you want Viciedo to rot in AAA for three seasons?

I think that he should be promoted to the Big Leagues when he has demonstrated that he is not a defensive liability, and that he can hit consistently, and draw an occasional walk.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)
Yes, he has been hitting, but he also made 3 errors at first base, in one game over the weekend.

He is still just too raw, and probably needs a couple more years in the Minors.

If he made it to the Big Leagues in 2012, at age 23, that would be pretty impressive.

The Sox paid too much money for Viciedo to sit in the minors for 4 years and then eventually leave. If he can't field, he will come up and DH by next year. If you get two decent offensive years out of his current contract or 1 (and then trade him for some other prospects), then at least you recouped your investment a bit.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
The Sox paid too much money for Viciedo to sit in the minors for 4 years and then eventually leave. If he can't field, he will come up and DH by next year. If you get two decent offensive years out of his current contract or 1 (and then trade him for some other prospects), then at least you recouped your investment a bit.

Plus we get him for his arb years remember

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)

The Sox will still be owners of Viciedo for six major league seasons if they so desire. The amount of time it takes for him to get to Chicago have no bearing on that.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)

There is no opt-out clause in Viciedo's contract (or Alexei's) like there is in some foreign contracts. Viciedo will still be under the Sox's control for the full gamut of arbitration years, assuming he reaches the big leagues before his current 4 year deal expires.

I know we all think Thornton can be a closer for this or any other team. So if you get an offer from a team that is on par with what you would get for an elite closer signed through next year, do you bite? I think you do. You get max value for a product that has risk associated with it (i.e. Thornton as an elite closer).

Or you can trade Jenks for less if you even get a taker...and then later find out 1) Thornton doesn't have the make-up to be an elite closer; 2) we are not competitive next year and then Thornton walks.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
Thornton is a guy we deal because people will actually give up something tangible for. If KW gets a call, he should listen.

I'd like it if Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Beckham, Ramirez, TCQ, and Rios could survive the purge. I might be being stubborn, but i think they still have long-term value to this franchise.

Thornton is all fastball. When he loses that, he'll lose his dominance. I'd rather trade him now than later.

We're going to receive crap for our veterans, anyway. Let us atleast receive someone out there who has potential to make the major leagues one day.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
There is no opt-out clause in Viciedo's contract (or Alexei's) like there is in some foreign contracts. Viciedo will still be under the Sox's control for the full gamut of arbitration years, assuming he reaches the big leagues before his current 4 year deal expires.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that for Viciedo. I knew we had that with Alexei but I thought with more teams vying for Viciedo that he did have an opt-out.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
You honestly believe we wouldn't get one top 10 prospect from a team for Thornton? That's crazy IMO. I think we'd probably get two, I think the question is how highly rated would the better one be.

I meant Top 10 in the league, which really didn't need to be said. :P

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
Oh, I wasn't aware of that for Viciedo. I knew we had that with Alexei but I thought with more teams vying for Viciedo that he did have an opt-out.

I think the reality was...no one was giving an opt-out option to a guy who'd be 23 when he was able to opt out.

Viciedo has 6 walks and 44 strike outs in his frist 200 at bats. Please, he's just not ready.

There's no rush. The parent team being desperate for help shouldn't dictate his time table. He just turned 21.

He's doing fine for this stage in his development, but it's too soon to think of him as a starter at the Big League level.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
It's weird to think, but all of the players from 2005 may be gone before the end of the season (and almost certainly before the start of next season).

I remember a while back when I said I wouldn't truly be happy until all the 2005 White Sox players were gone. Looks like I wont have to wait long!

To be honest, I have no loyalty with any players in sports. Buehrle and Konerko could leave tomorrow and I wouldn't care. They both had their great years here, certainly have provided a lot of good memories, but when you're gone you're gone in my mind.

Anyways, we all know damn well the minute anyone leaves they'll be rumored to return here at some point.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
To be honest, I have no loyalty with any players in sports. Buehrle and Konerko could leave tomorrow and I wouldn't care.

Especially if they can bring us back something that will improve the team in the future..

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
According to everything i'm hearing out here,The Mets are looking for another arm. I imagine Buerhle is still in play,

Would the Mets prefer Roy Oswalt over Mark Buehrle though, considering what both have done so far this season?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
Oswalt has a full no-trade clause while Buehrle does not.

IIRC, Oswalt said he'd approve a trade to Washington, so I'd assume he'd pitch for a bigger team such as the Mets, but then again he might not like the bright lights of NY.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
IIRC, Oswalt said he'd approve a trade to Washington, so I'd assume he'd pitch for a bigger team such as the Mets, but then again he might not like the bright lights of NY.

There ya go.

Furthermore, he can use that NTC as leverage if he wants to turn the $16 million option year into a guaranteed year as well. Buehrle's contract has a kicker, but at least you know what it is.

Mets aren't going to take another lefty starter, as they have 3 already and that's not even counting Oliver Perez. Giants, IMO, are the best fit for Buehrle, even though Cardinals are the ideal candidate but don't have the money/prospects.