Olney: Sox to start trading away vets

LittleHurt05

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)
At this point, I'm not as concerned with the prospects we receive for Buehrle as I am freeing ourselves from his contract.

Good point. I guess I'm overvaluing his importance to the team in 2011. With the numbers he has put up over the past year, we could pay somebody half as much to do the same thing and save a good amount of coin.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)
I've always thought that Ozzie and Walker are competent at what they do, but are average at best. Therefore, I won't be unhappy if Kenny brings a new staff in this winter.

To be clear, I am not among the crowd that labels Ozzie or Walker as stupid, or anything of the like. They both are obviously smart guys, and they know baseball, and I don't doubt that they work their asses off. But they simply haven't been effective, from what evidence I can see.

I think the worst thing that we can do is somehow pray all these guys will turn it around next year. Like WC says above it is going to be hard to compete the next couple of years so we need to get what we can now, because the next few years we aren't competing with the majority of this roster. If you don't want to blow it all up while trying to get prospects, give them away for next to nothing if you can to get out of under some of these contracts and try to build a new team through FA, which I acknowledge would be pretty tough.

The worst thing we can do is stand pat, pick up 1-2 players in the offseason and hope that Peavy, Beckham, CQ, Alexei, Teahen, Buerhle, Floyd, Jenks, etc turn it around, and hope Rios is as incredible last year as he has been this year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
To be clear, I am not among the crowd that labels Ozzie or Walker as stupid, or anything of the like. They both are obviously smart guys, and they know baseball, and I don't doubt that they work their asses off. But they simply haven't been effective, from what evidence I can see.

Agreed. Historically (going back to his days coaching the Marlins), Ozzie's strength appears to have been motivation. That's clearly nonexistent in his current clubhouse.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
Agreed, this team on paper should be good enough to be around the .500 mark at least, but for whatever reason that just hasn't happened

The starting rotation, around which the team was built and who many predicted would be among MLB's best, has the worst ERA in the AL.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but if someone offered up a couple of nice prospects for Mike Caruso ERRRR... Gordon Beckham, I hope KW pulls the trigger.

Seriously. He could end up being like Mike Caruso for real. Remember how popular Brandon Mc Carthy was? Didn't he land us John Danks and Nick Masset? That trade was unpopular at the time, but I think KW won in the end. Maybe it'll be a similar scenario.

If KW decides to deal I am guessing everyone is on the block and it just depends on what is offerred in return on whether someone goes or not. You don't tear up the team just to tear it up IMO. I see AJP as the most likely to go simply because he has the 10/5 situation coming up. However, what is in the pipeline to replace these guys? I for one don't think we necessarily have anyone ready in the minors. Flowers has taken a step back and Viciedo is iffy to say the least and just learning 1B. This team coud be last place in the division at the end of the season. It has been an unpleasant satrt of the season and could be an even longer summer. MB is another one I could see going and maybe should as much as I think he is the icon right now. Look at what was traded off from our minors system for aging veterans for the most part. This hole was dug by our management staff. Now saying all that I am not wanting to give up on this team or this season. We need to win games period. Let's go!

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
I'll probably get flamed for this, but if someone offered up a couple of nice prospects for Mike Caruso ERRRR... Gordon Beckham, I hope KW pulls the trigger.

Seriously. He could end up being like Mike Caruso for real. Remember how popular Brandon Mc Carthy was? Didn't he land us John Danks and Nick Masset? That trade was unpopular at the time, but I think KW won in the end. Maybe it'll be a similar scenario.

Beckham has raked at all levels and the Sox invested a first-round signing bonus in him. To my knowledge, Caruso was never as highly touted as Beckham. He was not even the prized piece of the White Flag package (Barcelo was).

Beckham's development at the ML level hasn't been that much different than Robin Ventura's so far, so I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 05:59 PM)

Bad idea to trade talented youth. He has so much potential and was rushed last year to plug a hole. He will catch up again

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
I don't think it would happen, but imagine trading Peavy and Buehrle and freeing up a ton of money for next season.

Then you'll be forced to find starting pitching via trade or free agency. I would not want to go into the offseason with two holes in our rotation and no legitimate internal candidates to replace them (assuming Hudson replaces Freddy). We'll end up overpaying with our limited resources (money and talent) as we'll be in a position of need.

I think this team really needs to keep Peavy along with Danks, Floyd and Hudson. If you can get back a near MLB-ready starting pitcher in one of our deadline deals, then I'd be open to dumping Buerhle as well. Otherwise, I'd hold onto to him until the offseason when his value may go up (hard to imagine it could get any lower) and there may be a larger market for him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
Then you'll be forced to find starting pitching via trade or free agency. I would not want to go into the offseason with two holes in our rotation and no legitimate internal candidates to replace them (assuming Hudson replaces Freddy). We'll end up overpaying with our limited resources (money and talent) as we'll be in a position of need.

I kind of agree with you, but there's also little point in paying both Peavy and Buehrle when you're selling off the rest of the team and aren't going to compete next year anyway. You'll likely get multiple ML-ready prospects by trading those two, in addition to a ton of salary relief. That's a nice way to rebuild a franchise.

That said, it's a moot point because nobody's going to take on Peavy's contract right now.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
I hope I'm wrong, but it's hard to see Jake Peavy being as dominant here as he was in the NL. Maybe the Cardinals (or the Phillies) take him off our hands...

Small sample size, but he was last September.

More from Olney:

Some rival executives find these to be the most interesting White Sox, in possible trades:Thornton, who they assume is probably unobtainable; and Andruw Jones, a cheap power hitter ($500,000 base) in a year in which teams are starved for offense. Some teams like Konerko but shudder at taking on $8 m still owed for this year; Peavy considered by some flat-out untradeable.

I can't imagine KW going into next season without his team being competitive. Well, in his mind competitive, anyway. I see him making a few moves, hopefully getting some good prospects, and then trying to re-build in the offseason. I just don't see him making a bunch of trades, and then saying 2011 is a rebuilding year.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
Yeah, I think Peavy is untradeable, especially considering KW would want something nice in return. His contract and performance make it almost certain he's on the 2011 staff.

Agreed. If you deal Peavy, you're rebuilding, which means that you have to get AT LEAST one good ML-ready prospect for him. I don't think that anybody would be willing to give that up now.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)

First of all, we get it that you think that Beckham is Caruso considering that you do the same goofy little strikeout thing already a few times. Secondly if you know anything about Caruso you will realize that its a bad comparison to Gordon unless he is abusing something that we dont know about outside of baseball. Caruso self destructed. Gordon has hit pretty much everywhere he went. There are plenty of players in the majors who have went on to successful careers who have struggled early. Take a look at Mike Schmidts first years in the league. Not saying he is going to be anything even in the shadow of a Mike Schmidt but maybe we give him a bit before we dump him off for specs. This team is moving into the rebuilding mode then we need young cheap talent that we can work with. Dumping a guy on his lowest value is absolutely silly.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)
I kind of agree with you, but there's also little point in paying both Peavy and Buehrle when you're selling off the rest of the team and aren't going to compete next year anyway. You'll likely get multiple ML-ready prospects by trading those two, in addition to a ton of salary relief. That's a nice way to rebuild a franchise.

That said, it's a moot point because nobody's going to take on Peavy's contract right now.

I think we have a shot at retooling and competing next year if we keep the rotation intact. Obviously there would have to be significant changes to the offense and a lot of rebound years (pitching and offense), but I think it's a possibility.

If you think you have a chance to compete next season and it doesn't work out, worst case scenario you look to trade Peavy and Buehrle at the deadline and hope their values are higher. Right now, you'd get absolutely nothing in return for them.

Also, the salary relief from trading Peavy and Buehrle this season could help, but it totally depends on how effectively KW uses the savings in the offseason. Unfortunately, with Pierre and Teahen locked up already for 2011, I don't see a ton of areas where we could spend the money on offense (assuming we infuse some youth into the lineup). If we end up just overpaying for starting pitching in free agency, then I think it could be counter-productive.